Altec 604E ... going to be buying them in 2 days...

DC leakage is usually a bigger issue than capacitance drift.
should not be an issue with a passive speaker crossover unless his amp is sick and I would hope that not be the case but I think early on it was said they were being tested using black plastic crap so you may be on to something

Last edited:
should not be an issue with a passive speaker crossover unless his amp is sick and I would hope that not be the case but I think early on it was said they were being tested using black plastic crap so you may be on to something
Ok
Thank you.

Any significant DC leakage in a crossover capacitor generally means there will also be some degree of low frequency AC(signal) or parts thereof passing below the intended knee point. Pretty much what you don't want in a crossover filter, and why it's important to test them for leakage as well as ESR when possible or replace them after a reasonable life expectancy has passed.

We are after all talking about caps that are 60 or more years old, and hardly came off the top shelf when they were new.

Last edited:
Just getting around to reading thru this thread. Great get Biscuit! I am broadcasting jealous emotion your way man.
It's been 2.5 months and I don't see a report on how they sound. Hurry the heck up man!
No, take your time. Those are some special cabinets and drivers there.

Back
Top Bottom