Fall New England FrankenFest Saturday October 20th, 2018 Sutton MA

Picking up on the suggestions and observations listed here and elsewhere:

1) Stuff: I have noticed over the years, that folks have been generally bringing a lot less "stuff"... The swap meet style event of yore has transformed somewhat into a yankee swap with a predetermined outcome, listening session, and meeting spot. Which is TOTALLY GREAT! I like both formats. But it's clear that things are leaning away from the smorgasbord of audio trinkets and into a more calculated approach. I include myself in this more calculated approach. Part of the reason is: I used to spend and hour unloading, an hour loading, and would only be able to enjoy you lot for 2 hours, which is not enough time to talk about how the resonance frequency of a KEF T33 tweeter. Some things need more time.

2) Timing: Due to the venue's timing, our timing has shifted. I wouldn't mind making this event an afternoon/evening/dinner event if that works for others. As opposed to the brunch/afternoon event from Clinton. I know I used to show up at Frank's around 930 sometimes to set up, which could take an hour....(related to comments above). @Sounds Good! was hoping to get a group together for an early dinner as things were clearly wrapping up around 3 PM. I would have joined had I not been beckoned by my lovely for family time. But if we had planned ahead, I would have worked that into the schedule and skipped the petting zoo....

3) Sessions: I really enjoyed the 15 minute listening sessions. I missed two of them unfortunately, but the ones I heard were very interesting. It also shows some of the wildly eclectic music choices that we all enjoy! (If anyone wants to explore Congolese/French rap with operatic male baritone vocals, message me!) I think we should do these again next time around. I also like the idea of at least one clinic. However, I agree with Dan @LexDM3 that it's tough for one person to organize something like this. Somehow Don made them seem effortless. They are not. I would love to build Dan's device, but I think it was probably too complex for an event like this with limited time and a lot of Schmoozing to do.

----- That said, I might be able to put together some interesting information for people regarding speaker mic measurements and how to interpret the data. I am working with a new software platform as well as REW, and could share what I learn. If this is interesting to people. We could measure a couple "classic" speakers and a couple "modern" speakers and see how the measurements reflect our hearing.

Picking up on the suggestions and observations listed here and elsewhere:

1) Stuff: I have noticed over the years, that folks have been generally bringing a lot less "stuff"... The swap meet style event of yore has transformed somewhat into a yankee swap with a predetermined outcome, listening session, and meeting spot. Which is TOTALLY GREAT! I like both formats. But it's clear that things are leaning away from the smorgasbord of audio trinkets and into a more calculated approach. I include myself in this more calculated approach. Part of the reason is: I used to spend and hour unloading, an hour loading, and would only be able to enjoy you lot for 2 hours, which is not enough time to talk about how the resonance frequency of a KEF T33 tweeter. Some things need more time.

2) Timing: Due to the venue's timing, our timing has shifted. I wouldn't mind making this event an afternoon/evening/dinner event if that works for others. As opposed to the brunch/afternoon event from Clinton. I know I used to show up at Frank's around 930 sometimes to set up, which could take an hour....(related to comments above). @Sounds Good! was hoping to get a group together for an early dinner as things were clearly wrapping up around 3 PM. I would have joined had I not been beckoned by my lovely for family time. But if we had planned ahead, I would have worked that into the schedule and skipped the petting zoo....

3) Sessions: I really enjoyed the 15 minute listening sessions. I missed two of them unfortunately, but the ones I heard were very interesting. It also shows some of the wildly eclectic music choices that we all enjoy! (If anyone wants to explore Congolese/French rap with operatic male baritone vocals, message me!) I think we should do these again next time around. I also like the idea of at least one clinic. However, I agree with Dan @LexDM3 that it's tough for one person to organize something like this. Somehow Don made them seem effortless. They are not. I would love to build Dan's device, but I think it was probably too complex for an event like this with limited time and a lot of Schmoozing to do.

----- That said, I might be able to put together some interesting information for people regarding speaker mic measurements and how to interpret the data. I am working with a new software platform as well as REW, and could share what I learn. If this is interesting to people. We could measure a couple "classic" speakers and a couple "modern" speakers and see how the measurements reflect our hearing.

Some good points Brian.

1. I've bought very little at the events, just don't need much. I've bought some cables from Jamal, some tubes and some vinyl a while back, and for the first time sold a set of speakers at this event. I think we all have so much gear, most of us are not in the market for more. Here's where publicizing the event on FB audio groups and other forums will be a good way to get new faces, and younger people just starting out. I'll definitely post the next event's dates over on CSP shortly to plant the seed so members there can put it in their calendars.

2. Coming up from Peekskill NY, it's 2:45-3 hour trip for me. I usually like to get an early jump on traffic. I arrived around 10:15am and helped the manager move the tables around to set up for the event. Since I have a longer drive, I tend to stay to the end, enjoy the event as long as possible. If I lived closer, dinner with the group would be a lot of fun. Still a great idea for you all that are closer.

3. At Clinton, we had access to some of the vacant rooms on the 2nd floor which was terrific for listening sessions. We usually had 2-3 setups and took turns listening. The first floor was somewhat chaotic with all the systems playing simultaneously.
The listening sessions were something I think a lot of us have wanted to do for a while now. Some of the systems at this event were a real eye opener! This is where I'm really interested to hear what people have worked on, and get feedback on my systems. This year, my sub caused too much feedback through my TT so was unable to demo vinyl successfully.

I'd be very interested in the measurement tests next time.

More.

Attachments

• IMG_6470.jpg
    IMG_6470.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6471.jpg
    IMG_6471.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6472.jpg
    IMG_6472.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6473.jpg
    IMG_6473.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6474.jpg
    IMG_6474.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6475.jpg
    IMG_6475.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6476.jpg
    IMG_6476.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6477.jpg
    IMG_6477.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6478.jpg
    IMG_6478.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6479.jpg
    IMG_6479.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 37
I planned on purchasing nothing at this event.
I failed.

As we each move up the audio chain we graduate away from our “mid” equipment to fancier gear.
That means generally the gear for sale is “beneath” us.
If we can attract “newbies” they’ll find this gear desirable.

It used to be that we’d all bring a car load of gear, sell a couple of pieces and schlep the rest back home. I think we’ve all learned our lessons from that behavior.

As Jamal pointed out several months ago - it’s really cool when people bring unusual items for us to experience.

Being the first event of its kind that I've ever attended, I had nothing to compare to. On the other hand, it completely exceeded my expectations! Met some really cool people. Most of the the gear i was familiar with, little of it have I owned.

I appreciated that all kept their sense of humor about my "modern" stuff. I realize it's more than some would spend, though it's also cheaper than what others spend. I like the convenience-with-sound-quality factor of it. There will always be changes. Since changing to a lower-paying job, I'll be seeing what I can do on a lower budget now. :)

That's Gregory Porter, track "Holding On" from the album "Take Me To The Alley."

There are two versions on the album, track 1, and track 13. The second is done with another artist "Kem", and has a bass groove that digs DEEP.

Being the first event of its kind that I've ever attended, I had nothing to compare to. On the other hand, it completely exceeded my expectations! Met some really cool people. Most of the the gear i was familiar with, little of it have I owned.

I appreciated that all kept their sense of humor about my "modern" stuff. I realize it's more than some would spend, though it's also cheaper than what others spend. I like the convenience-with-sound-quality factor of it. There will always be changes. Since changing to a lower-paying job, I'll be seeing what I can do on a lower budget now. :)
Thrifts, tag sales and garbage day are some of my favorite events for cheap gear. Sometimes you're lucky and find gems. So with a little less play money, something to consider. I enjoy the hunt and the occasional score, and the restorations.
Hearing your setup though makes a modern system very appealing. It sounded great, and the convenience of controlling it from your phone was very cool, and you have it!

As others have stated, I really enjoyed the demos and hope they continue, as well, but I attend with a decent pile of cash in my on-going quest to find needful things. I would love to see more, interesting equipment show up for sale. From my perspective, these events are great opportunities to move heavy iron, as the shipping factor isn't one. If Giang Le were there with his restored Pioneer SX-1280, I probably would have pulled the trigger.

Would it make sense to have a particular focus for each event (e.g., speakers or high-powered receivers or separates)?

I was the person who held a five-minute reverse auction (much quicker than a conventional escalating bid as there is only one bid for each item). That allowed me to sell one of three pieces I had left. My mistake was not doing it earlier when there were many more participants. I have been an auctioneer for many years (charity events), and I would be happy to help organize and run such an auction.

As far as the location and timing of the event, I think it is nearly ideal. I would be in favor of adding a pub/dinner event at 5:30 or 6 PM, somewhere in the area.

Mike

Thanks! Just downloaded the album.

I had been worried that I wouldn't be able to stream Tidal HiFi at the event due to reports of sketchy WiFi there, so I bought the CD and ripped it with my Bluesound Vault 2. So I own it. I copied all 478GB of WAV and FLAC files I have onto a 2TB USB drive I'd picked up @ Best Buy the other day so I'd have something to play even if I couldn't stream music via the interweb. As it turned out I was able to stream using my Verizon WiFi hotspot, despite pretty crappy signal there.

So...pretty darn good album if you like that kind of music, eh? I like almost all the tracks. I found him just clicking around various genres on Tidal HiFi, just as I have many others. I now like a LOT more kinds of music I never tried before. What really blew my mind was that Yo-Yo Ma rendition of Bach's Suite No.1 in G Major, Prelude. Wish I'd played that on the LS50's for the group. I do at home and it's GLORIOUS.

I had been worried that I wouldn't be able to stream Tidal HiFi at the event due to reports of sketchy WiFi there, so I bought the CD and ripped it with my Bluesound Vault 2. So I own it. I copied all 478GB of WAV and FLAC files I have onto a 2TB USB drive I'd picked up @ Best Buy the other day so I'd have something to play even if I couldn't stream music via the interweb. As it turned out I was able to stream using my Verizon WiFi hotspot, despite pretty crappy signal there.

So...pretty darn good album if you like that kind of music, eh? I like almost all the tracks. I found him just clicking around various genres on Tidal HiFi, just as I have many others. I now like a LOT more kinds of music I never tried before. What really blew my mind was that Yo-Yo Ma rendition of Bach's Suite No.1 in G Major, Prelude. Wish I'd played that on the LS50's for the group. I do at home and it's GLORIOUS.
Will take the album for a run tomorrow. Impressed so far.

I wasn't able to make it there on Saturday due to a death in the family, my brother-in-law. I'm sorry that I missed all of you.

Baco99 and Bostown have both mentioned my failed attempt at a streaming server seminar at an earlier Sutton gathering. The problem there was that I needed to configure the wireless router I brought in as a local wireless network with access to the outside internet. I needed that so people could learn how to attach their Raspberry Pi/Volumio servers to the local wireless network, then connect through that to the outside to access streaming services, etc. Without that access, the seminar was pointless.

Despite a lot of effort and help from other people, there was no way I could get into and through the hall's network to the outside world. I had physical ethernet connectivity to their router but couldn't get through it. After a number of frustrating attempts, I gave up, packed up and headed home. If I could have made that internet connection work, I was fully prepared to do the seminar but nobody at the hall could give me access.

Yes, MANY people there suggested I use the wireless in the hall but that wouldn't do it for what I was trying to do. I don't want to re-litigate that, thanks.

My point is that having seminars is a good thing and people really enjoyed them in the past. But if anyone wants to do a seminar that requires more infrastructure than a tabletop and 120VAC, they need to check in advance to see if they have what they need in the hall. Lesson learned. :bye:

Last edited:
I did notice that 120v outlets were in short supply around the room there. While Jim did get us the password for their guest account WiFi, I had better service from my own WiFi hotspot.

BTW, very sorry for your family's loss. That's never easy.

Back
Top Bottom