SX-1250 Flat Amp - Help please

buffdriver

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with an SX-1250, and I'm stuck. This receiver has been completely re-capped using the recommendations found in multiple threads here on AK and had been operating normally for about 3 months.

The problem was noticed as noise in the right speaker, a static rumbling during quiet passages in the music. It was taking the woofer for quite a ride. I pulled the pre-out power-in jumpers and the problem disappeared. I was also able to move the problem to the left speaker by patching the right pre-out to the left power-in.

The noise did not vary with volume setting but did respond to the 30 Hz filter. Bypassing the tone controls had no effect, so I narrowed the problem to the flat amplifier, which is a JFET and BJT circuit.

On my scope, I could see the problem as erratic DC voltage on the right channel output, which is also the Q8 collector. Q8 is a 2SA725 that was already replaced with ksa-992, but I put in a new 992 just in case the first was bad. No luck.

Q6 is a JFET that I understood to rarely go bad, but I decided to swap in a spare from an old board that I had laying around, and the problem appeared fixed. But the problem returned after about 30 minutes. I feel foolish for wasting a JFET without solving the underlying problem, but I'm totally stumped by this circuit.

I would be grateful for any advice on how to proceed at this point.

In recapping the unit, were the feedback caps also replaced? C20/24/26, for example?

If so, verify the polarity of C22, and the values of R34/36/40. C22 is + to chassis ground, and while this may appear backward, I believe it is intended to suppress this kind of motorboating in this high-impedance input amp stage.

Watthour, thanks so much for the help!

Can you see the oscillation at the FET gate?

Yes, I could see the oscillation on my scope, dancing from 4 to 8vDC.

If so, verify the polarity of C22, and the values of R34/36/40. C22 is + to chassis ground, and while this may appear backward, I believe it is intended to suppress this kind of motorboating in this high-impedance input amp stage.

C22 polarity is correct.

All of the following were measured out of circuit.
R34 (130K): 127.4K
R36 (1.2K): 1.2K
R40 (8.2K): 8.4K

Also:
C20 (56pF): 58pF
C24 (68pF): 67pF
C26 (10pF): I don't have anything to measure this low, but it tested infinite resistance

Everything is back in circuit and ... operating normally for now. I'm not convinced that the issue is resolved, but for now I'm going to bring it along slowly. Things looked good yesterday and I was playing some Tom Petty when the DC cut loose and gave me a good scare. Popping, protection cut in, and I'm still not sure of the status of my speakers.

It's possible that removing those components and re-soldering them fixed a poor solder joint, even though I had already reflowed everything.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!

BuffDriver

Pete, I'm not that smart!

I do have an old IT-11 RC Bridge that has a comparator function, but I felt that the leads would be critical with a value that low. I opted instead to substitute in another 10pF ceramic cap. It's used, but since they almost never fail, I felt that it was justified.

She's still idling well at this time, and my speakers are okay. I will use dummy loads when I proceed to load testing.

Back
Top Bottom