Fall New England FrankenFest Saturday October 20th, 2018 Sutton MA

Next time we should all bring extension cords and power strips.
I suspect their WiFi isn’t capable of supporting us streaming while folks in the bar are also doing their thing.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much for putting this event together. I've been wanting to go to a meet up for years. Missed the one last time, just found out about this one last week. Glad I was able to make it.
It was great to see the creative choices made to reinvigorate older systems and also create custom speakers. Thanks to Mike R for the great price on the Adcom amp, I've been looking for a good affordable 100+ watt amp to power my 3 way speakers. It really turned up the bass in my system.

Thanks Ken for letting me connect my speakers to your Amp/Streamer and Sub and to the gentlemen who lent me the cables. The friendliness and willingness to share was really what I expected and hoped for from the audio community. Didn't disappoint.

FYI: The speakers I brought are the Volt 6v2
R6cg8XYB

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/volt-6-v2.html

Volt-6-v2.jpg

Kind regards,
Carlos

Last edited:
Carlos - thank you for participating and bringing those cool little speakers.
Hope to see you next time - bring some more of your cool projects and drag along some friends!

Hey Carlos, glad I could help. Those Volt 6v2 sounded terrific! I sure hope you decide to keep them out of your car and use them there at home instead. I do suggest you add good binding posts.

Nice meeting you too! Ping me if you've got any further questions about the stuff I had brought or have here at home. I do have one question for you: When I visited the DIY Sound group website and found the kit for the Volt 6v2 earlier today, I was left confused. If you want to build a pair, do you add 2 to the shopping cart or does a quantity of 1 get you a pair? That didn't seem clear to me.

It seemed like there was a good turnout around 1:00 when we arrived, then by the time
I unloaded, about 1:30 it seemed like half of the people left. This is only my second time
attending and it seemed like 1/3 as many people as last year.

Last year we had 90 people, this year 60.
I suspect with fewer tables people may have left early - they should have stayed for the auditioning sessions!

The demos went well and it was good to do the walk around. I'll talk a bit more about
speaker design in March and plan a better demo. I might bring an A/B speaker switch.

Good to see all the regulars and a few new people from AK and CSP!

Last edited:
Last year we had 90 people, this year 60.
I suspect with fewer tables people may have left early - they should have stayed for the auditioning sessions!
Interesting possible trend. The very same thing happened at the NY event in September, many left early.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much for putting this event together. I've been wanting to go to a meet up for years. Missed the one last time, just found out about this one last week. Glad I was able to make it.
It was great to see the creative choices made to reinvigorate older systems and also create custom speakers. Thanks to Mike R for the great price on the Adcom amp, I've been looking for a good affordable 100+ watt amp to power my 3 way speakers. It really turned up the bass in my system.

Thanks Ken for letting me connect my speakers to your Amp/Streamer and Sub and to the gentlemen who lent me the cables. The friendliness and willingness to share was really what I expected and hoped for from the audio community. Didn't disappoint.

R6cg8XYB

Volt-6-v2.jpg

Kind regards,
Carlos
Those little speakers were quite a surprise and impressive! 4 of them with a big sub would make a great TV surround sound setup, as well as for critical listening.
Did you take pics during the build?
Glenn
Glenn

The demos went well and it was good to do the walk around. I'll talk a bit more about
speaker design in March and plan a better demo. I might bring an A/B speaker switch.

Good to see all the regulars and a few new people from AK and CSP!
CSP?

Hey Carlos, glad I could help. Those Volt 6v2 sounded terrific! I sure hope you decide to keep them out of your car and use them there at home instead. I do suggest you add good binding posts.

Nice meeting you too! Ping me if you've got any further questions about the stuff I had brought or have here at home. I do have one question for you: When I visited the DIY Sound group website and found the kit for the Volt 6v2 earlier today, I was left confused. If you want to build a pair, do you add 2 to the shopping cart or does a quantity of 1 get you a pair? That didn't seem clear to me.

Great to meet you also Ken! I was surprised how well they sounded, I had just put them together right before the meet up. I will probably get another pair for the car. Maybe try the 10" or 8" versions.

They are bought individually. So its $129 or each speaker, then another $15 for the flat pack box. They sell them that way so folks can get odd number of speakers for surround sound.

@Pete B Great to meet you too! Looking forward to hanging with y'll at the next meet up.

If anyone is interested other high end DIY kits are sold here: (no boxex sold unfortunately). This is were I bought my 3 way SB acoustics Kit.

https://meniscusaudio.com/product-category/speaker-kits/

Those little speakers were quite a surprise and impressive! 4 of them with a big sub would make a great TV surround sound setup, as well as for critical listening.
Did you take pics during the build?
Glenn
Glenn

More like put them together than build them :) . Only took a few pics of somethings because I was in a rush.

: How it was put together:

- I put together the crossover like the diagram instructions that came with the set and soldered the connections together. I looked on you-tube for instructions on how to solder.
- Then I crimped some connectors to the crossover and the speakers.
- Put the back part of the box on the floor and measured up now the others sides would go. Did one side and the top/bottom up with clue and held them together with a corner brace
- Kept wiping excess glue off with a damp microfiber cloth
- Glued and put together the other sides and held them in place with couple of clamps on horizontally
- Wiggled the sides around till they looked very even and straight and let it sit a few hours.
- Glued the front on and put my printer on top of one and my backpack on top of another to push it down.
- Continued wiping excess glue out of the recesses and let boxes sit over night
- In the (late) morning) I pushed in the included speaker port and made holes with my drill for wires out the back of the speaker
- Crimped speaker connectors on some wires and attached them to the speakers and crossover
- Put the crossover in the box and used a small hot glue gun to put it in place (didn't realized screws for the crossover were in the package.
- I put pillow stuffing in the boxes,
- Put the speaker in the box and used 4 of the supplied screws to put it in place
- Tested them on my receiver and headed out to the meet up.
- They get plenty loud with my receiver now that the subs are not connected with their own amp.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

R6cg8XYB

Volt-6-v2.jpg

Kind regards,
Carlos
!

Carlos,

Great to meet you. Glad the Adcom worked out. thanks for your patience. I would say your speakers were the surprise of the day. Nice job.

Mike

!

Carlos,

Great to meet you. Glad the Adcom worked out. thanks for your patience. I would say your speakers were the surprise of the day. Nice job.

Mike

Thanks Mike, speakers surprised me too didn't expect them to do so well. Glad I did the research :)
Amp has a ton of power, I don't think I will need more anytime soon :)

Extension cord and power strips are standard traveling equipment for me. Learned that at Clinton.

I had thought to bring a power strip, will add the extension cord. When I got there and helped (a little bit) in rolling out the round tables I thought to look for one near an outlet for that very reason. I got lucky, it was the one unoccupied table near one!

Back
Top Bottom