My Experience with State Farm auto insurance after a young lady dented my car with her door

oj, really wishing you the best in getting them to make it right for you.
Back in 2002 after I drove the Cry-seller home 30 miles from the car lot I discovered it had no spare. The next day when I called them on it they claimed ignorance.
I recall shaming them on the fact that I could have been stranded out in the middle of no where (I had no cell phone in 2002) had I had a flat.
They offered up a spare but it wasn't the OEM chrome ten spoke that it was supposed to be and the junk tire looked like a 'Bagdad' recap.
Thank goodness I don't frequent dealerships every two/ three years like some people seem to need to do, friggin' dealerships are the devil!

I used to figure that, of the people in my country, about 10 to 15 percent were assholes.

Now it is clear that the percentage of assholes has risen dramatically. To about 45 to 50 percent.

There is nothing that I can do about it. State Farm has treated me fairly, however.

Go to small claims court, worst case you would just be out the filing fee.

Save the filing fee and apply it to your repair. With the way the court systems work around here, you'll have bought a new one by the time you actually get to court or any kind of actual settlement.

I think I will give our breakup the high emotion, drama-laden showdown it has needed for some time.

Unless they have a history with you of being real a**holes about other issues over the course of your time dealing with them, don't be too hard on the folks at the dealership--this is not a "dealer issue"--this is a "Honda issue", so it lies with the manufacturer, not the dealer network. If they want to "help you out", they might be willing to offer you some kind of discount or cost-sharing on the repair, but if they do, the dealer has to eat that, since it is not "warranty work", Honda is not going to re-imburse the dealer for anything.

Unless they have a history with you of being real a**holes about other issues over the course of your time dealing with them, don't be too hard on the folks at the dealership--this is not a "dealer issue"--this is a "Honda issue", so it lies with the manufacturer, not the dealer network. If they want to "help you out", they might be willing to offer you some kind of discount or cost-sharing on the repair, but if they do, the dealer has to eat that, since it is not "warranty work", Honda is not going to re-imburse the dealer for anything.
you sound like dealer person
not my fault Honda's fault
well, you sell Honda right?
not true this is a class action deal now or moving that way
dealer is authorized agent of product so certainly does share in responsibility
extent of liability different in every state
I have a couple friends with the Honda paint issue
problem is under the current way they are dealing is they only want to paint affected panels which on 3 or 4 year old car can look like turn out like crap
paint should stay stuck to a car in normal life more than 4 or 5 years and Honda knows this
they will pay for this

Just got home with my wife's Buick. Last week when we picked up my Cry-seller I stuffed a C-note in my paint buddy's pocket but today he would not take the $250 he quoted us for doing the Buick. He told me that he'd be retiring from his business soon and wanted to do a solid favor for us because my wife had introduced him nearly 30 years ago to her best friend, his wife 'Jo.'
I've always said I married good this time! Hell, how lucky can a guy get?:bigok:

you sound like dealer person

Not at all, but I know the service manager of a large "corporate" mega-dealership. If something is not specifically covered under warranty, or is past its warranty period, the manufacturer will not re-imburse the dealer for the repair. So whatever they do to help you out, comes out of their pockets--and dealerships are out to make money.

problem is under the current way they are dealing is they only want to paint affected panels which on 3 or 4 year old car can look like turn out like crap

Be realistic--they are at least offering to do something. I agree that not all paint/body repairs are perfect, but have a "fender-bender" and call your insurance company and tell them you want the whole car painted because you dented a fender and scratched the bumper, and see what their response is (either laughter or a hang-up).

they will pay for this

To a certain extent in the "court of public opinion", but no gov't regulators/safety agencies will touch it, because it is not an actual safety issue. May tarnish their reputation a bit, but Honda has a loyal following.

Not at all, but I know the service manager of a large "corporate" mega-dealership. If something is not specifically covered under warranty, or is past its warranty period, the manufacturer will not re-imburse the dealer for the repair. So whatever they do to help you out, comes out of their pockets--and dealerships are out to make money.

Be realistic--they are at least offering to do something. I agree that not all paint/body repairs are perfect, but have a "fender-bender" and call your insurance company and tell them you want the whole car painted because you dented a fender and scratched the bumper, and see what their response is (either laughter or a hang-up).

To a certain extent in the "court of public opinion", but no gov't regulators/safety agencies will touch it, because it is not an actual safety issue. May tarnish their reputation a bit, but Honda has a loyal following.
I am sorry but you are mistaken
GM went through similar things but worse were painting cars for years and the GM diesel fiasco my father went through replacing engines at no charge for a decade plus plus
you are mentioning normal warranty repairs not situation like this
what you say does not apply to situation like this
dealership can help past the 12 and 12 or whatever if they want to by bring in factory field rep
happens every day in competitive market

Agree with you theoretically concerning your private property argument, but to be pragmatic, if the police had to get involved with every vehicle pockmark for which people needed a police report then they wouldn't have the time for more urgent matters; besides, Dunkin' Donut employees need their jobs, too.
I'm rather surprised there wasn't a policeman already there...

Where I live (and I may have said this earlier), for a parking lot incident with no injuries, the cops say that 1) they don't respond and 2) if you need a police report for insurance, go to the website, enter all the info and it will give you a report # for your own report.

I wish there had been one (a cop) around when a (probably intoxicated) loser backed into my truck at a gas station, handed me a bogus "non-owner policy" sheet and drove off. I'm sure she would have ended up in handcuffs for one reason or another, or she wouldn't have sped out of there claiming she had to pick up her kids. It was a pretty good dent - I mean a foot square and indented an inch or more, on the rear qtr panel. Turned out she had so many accidents etc. and had no car, so she had this ridiculous policy supposedly insuring her when she drove other peoples' cars. The trick was that if you called them and made a claim, they would do nothing UNTIL she herself acknowledged that the incident occurred. She simply would not return the ins co's calls. By the time I learned that, the phone number she gave me had been changed. I could not even find her. It's an old truck so I let go of it. A couple years later she was arrested, picture in the paper, for something or other. Bad karma catches up to you.

Last edited:
OP What is the damage, I didn't see a pic. Could a paintless dent guy fix it or has the paint been chipped?
If not too bad a paintless dent removal is less than $50. Lots of youtube videos on how to fix a small paint chip so that it is invisible.

Back
Top Bottom