another dial cord Q

calman46

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
When dial cord of my 2000x moves to either side of the tuning shaft it pops (slips ?). I was able to tighten the tension but it didn't help. The pointer will move from end to the other ,its a little tighter turn now . But Its the cord around the tuning shaft ,it moves to either side of the tuning shaft before the pointer is at the end of the scale. Then it can't travel any more so it pops and moves towards the center of the tuning shaft allowing the pointer to keep moving . I cleaned the cord with alcohol ,clean pulleys all appears good there. How should the cord travel on the tuning shaft? Is this a sign that cord is worn out ? It looks good with no wear spots .20181023_110907.jpg
thanks

That's odd. They usually move side to side, but I don't remember seeing a pop or discontinuity of motion. I'd start with the tension adjustment on the tuning capacitor pulley. Make sure the spring has some travel in both directions and that the cord isn't bound up with glue or something that prevents sliding where it goes around the bend from the spring. You don't want excessive tension! I lube all the little pulleys with Superlube oil w/ ptfe. There shouldn't be anything on the cord. Some people use beeswax to help the grip, but that doesn't feel right to me. If all else fails, install a new cord. IMHO, 0.9 mm window blind cord is about ideal. Make sure the pointer track is clean and maybe lubed with a trace of oil.

There is only 2 springs and there attached to pulley wheel on the tuning gang. There is a spring on the pointer lamp wire buts that is OK.You maybe thinking of a different set up.
20181023_114939.jpg I would hate to put a new cord and have the same problem.

I found some Sortkwik at Walmart and it works . So its the cord ,I've done everything else to this 2000x I might has well put in a new cord . How long does the beeswax or Sortkwik last anybody know?

There is only 2 springs and there attached to pulley wheel on the tuning gang. There is a spring on the pointer lamp wire buts that is OK.You maybe thinking of a different set up.
View attachment 1312712 I would hate to put a new cord and have the same problem.

Glad the wax worked. I find that it reduces the flywheel effect somewhat compared to what factory new felt like, but if it solves the problem it certainly won't hurt anything. The spring you describe is exactly the the set up I'm thinking of. I've seen them go solid as the cord stretches, which is then too loose. I've also seen them stretched too far due to adjustments elsewhere in the cord. The factory often used lacquer to secure the end of the spring and I've even seen where they got a bit on the string and everything looked perfect, except that the string wouldn't make the slight motion required to keep constant tension.

If you replace the cord, take extra care not to pull on the tuning gang pulleys. At least one of them can actually come loose and getting it re-engaged in the right position can be hellish, far worse than the whole rest of the re-stringing operation.

There are two springs on the FM gang pulley and they are covered in that green sealer . I un tied the outer one to increase the tension , the cord goes through both them on the inside , where you start the cord. I will look around local for cord . I will look around locally for some cord . I'm not sure how long the Sortkwik will last .

I bought some tuner cord off ebay, I think it cost me 12 bucks, there's enough to do about 3 tuners, its a no brainer its the right stuff, easy to work with...

I've done two tuners with it.

The one thing I found with the 2000A & 2000X when the dial cord overwrapped on the spindle is mis alignment of the pulleys around the Tuning knob shaft. Best results are when the pulleys are not aimed at the front or back of the tuning shaft, but as close to the center as possible. So you may have a surrounding pulley misaligned.

I notice those pulleys looked out of alignment . I did move the pulley axial out some but the cord was still slipping . Any I got some 0.8mm cord from the bay going to take a crack at restringing.
Larry have you moved the pulleys ? does it keep the string more to center of the tuning shaft ? I ask because on mine the cord is mostly at one or the other on the tuning shaft , maybe the cause of the cord wear ?

Back
Top Bottom