I want new speakers, and I don´t know why...

Judas Priest

For some reason, I want new speakers.

I have a pair of Cerwin Vega D15EEs that I bought new in 1986, and a pair of Grundig Box 5600 that I got for free locally a few years ago. I use an 18" sub with the CVs and a 12" sub with the Grundigs.

I hate to admit it, but I think, at age 53, I´ve outgrown my CVs :( . I listen almost exclusively to Classical music now, and I think the Grundigs do a great job with it. I think the CVs also sound great, even with classical music, but I just don´t need 120 decibles of Rock or Metal any more. I think I´d be more than happy with speakers that can peak at around 105-108 dbA, which I think most floorstanders can do. Not that I need that capability, but if I really want to crank a Rock song, it would be nice to be able to do so.

The problem is, I don´t think I would get good money for my CVs here in Germany, and they are kind of dear to me. I don´t want to sell them under what they´re worth (to me).

I have googled new speakers in the €400 to €500 range, all with fantastic reviews. I find a pair that seem to be good and say to myself "those are the ones for me!"; and then I find a review that says there is something about them that isn´t so good.

I don´t even know what to expect from new speakers, since I´m basically happy with what I have, BUT the desire is there...

Well first. off I would say you have heard better speakers, and once you do you can never go back to what you have happily. Speakers of today as a whole have much lower distortion and better transient response. They also have much more accurate bass reproduction, not as much as a CV system for sure. I personally never liked CV's choice for tweeters, be it in the home or commercial systems. Getting good money for old speakers is like getting good money for an old pair of shoes. Its just not going to happen, unless they are made from exotic skins and are like new. And your CV's are neither unfortunately no matter how comfortable they are.

If you have the means, buy another set and test side by side to find the keeper.
If you have a used market, buy cheap and try others for your preference. Many speakers from the late 80's through the 90's are quite good and don't need
much work. Some of the JBL older offerings may fit your needs. (I am not a fan of newer speakers since so many are Chinese and seem throw away)
I love my Cerwins, but I like rock music, not classical. Very different demands. I have 2 sets of the VS-150's that have a different tweeter and mid which
makes for good vocals. JMO.

CV is not nearly as bad as so many people say but they did make some models that are ideal for tornado siren use. Even the old D9 can sound decent but there are many variants and the early copies had more upper midrange grain than Kansas.

A buddy of mine has four pair of CV D9s. One pair has the extreme grain of the early speakers while the others vary and and are surprisingly decent. If you like sound pressure, the CV can be tough to beat.

In your case, advice is going to be difficult because I suspect you enjoy sound pressure and you're going to have difficulty finding that in other commonly available brands.

There is a pair of Heco Superior 700 on German eBay right now for 30 Euros. They have surprising bass and a bit of thump but they won't compare to your D15EE. If you try to party the Hecos, you'll just blow them out. Of course, for 30 Euros, it won't be the most expensive party you could attend.

I suggest you start listening every time you have an opportunity to do so. Educate yourself about speakers and try to open your mind to the excellent German speakers that are more plentiful where you live.

The #1 thing is to listen before buying, rather than just reading reviews. You will be disappointed otherwise.

There are not many stereo shops left in the US. I don't know how it is in Germany but if it is the same, try to find some other audio enthusiasts to hang out with and maybe hear some of THEIR gear.

I have a pair of Cerwin Vega D15EEs that I bought new in 1986, and a pair of Grundig Box 5600 that I got for free locally a few years ago. I use an 18" sub with the CVs and a 12" sub with the Grundigs.

I hate to admit it, but I think, at age 53, I´ve outgrown my CVs :( . I listen almost exclusively to Classical music now, and I think the Grundigs do a great job with it. I think the CVs also sound great, even with classical music, but I just don´t need 120 decibles of Rock or Metal any more. I think I´d be more than happy with speakers that can peak at around 105-108 dbA, which I think most floorstanders can do. Not that I need that capability, but if I really want to crank a Rock song, it would be nice to be able to do so.

The problem is, I don´t think I would get good money for my CVs here in Germany, and they are kind of dear to me. I don´t want to sell them under what they´re worth (to me).

I have googled new speakers in the €400 to €500 range, all with fantastic reviews. I find a pair that seem to be good and say to myself "those are the ones for me!"; and then I find a review that says there is something about them that isn´t so good.

I don´t even know what to expect from new speakers, since I´m basically happy with what I have, BUT the desire is there...
Take the plunge and get new speakers. If done right you will be very happy.

I think you must have the lowest pairs of speakers owned divided by number of posts on AK ratio, of anyone posting on AK.

I think part of being into audio gear is trying new things.. by all means get some new speakers, and check them out. There's a whole world out there. Every speaker is a compromise, why not see what some of the other ones are?

If you just want to get your feet wet, why not buy a used popular model that can be easily resold for what you pay?

Here are a few of the models that I find interesting. Sorry, the links are all in German :

https://www.nubert.de/nubox-483/p1588/?category=82
https://www.amazon.de/Canton-GLE-490-2-weiß-Stück/dp/B004834IJE
https://www.otto.de/p/teufel-stereo...neues-modell-755231716/#variationId=755231717
https://www.numanaudio.com/Alle-Produkte/Standlautsprecher/NUMAN-Reference-801.html

Most offer a 30 day trial period, but it is a real hassle to send speakers back imho. I know listening before buying would be better, but that´s not so easy. No more stereo stores aroung here. In Bremen and Hamburg there are some, but they only have certain brands, which are above my price limit.

The #1 thing is to listen before buying, rather than just reading reviews. You will be disappointed otherwise.

There are not many stereo shops left in the US. I don't know how it is in Germany but if it is the same, try to find some other audio enthusiasts to hang out with and maybe hear some of THEIR gear.
Same here, very few stereo stores, and I don´t know ANYONE interested in quality music playback :(

You want new speakers cuz you don't have Acoustat Monitor 3 with DD servo charge amps. Simple:)

Don’t sell your CV’s in Germany then, I have a pair of European Cerwin Vega AT-100 and because many people expect European equipment to sound better your can demand a higher price depending on the condition.

I think you're on the right track. Replacing those CVs with something new is a damn good idea. How to choose the new one is difficult - I'm unfamiliar with most of the speakers you listed, and haven't heard those Cantons, anyway. You're in a different market over there, I guess. Reviews can be helpful, but one man's meat is another's poison in the speaker world. When I recently bought brand new floor-standers, I read a lot, then ordered a brand that I heard twenty years previously, and really liked. The company has a good reputation and uses high-tech materials. The reviews on my model were few, and not fully complimentary. As a review should be. I did my homework, as well as I could, then rolled the dice. Couldn't be happier - and I was replacing Klipschorns with a petite tower. So, I say, go for it.

I think I know why - you have a sneaking suspicion that there is more to be heard. Your suspicion is well-founded! I don't know what the situation is in Germany, but in the U.S. one can get a pair of Quad electrostatic speakers in decent condition for about $1K. But I wouldn't buy a pair without hearing them.

What I would do if I was in Germany is to go visit this manufacturer.

https://www.quad-musik.de/index.php/en/

The make licensed, brand-new ESL and ESL-63 models, and have been for years. Maybe there are some floating around that would be affordable. In the meantime, if you told them about your metal to classical journey, and your CVs and that you're wondering what's next, I bet they'd let you listen all day long. ;)

I wish that I could could Purchase a pair of OHM model ( I ) eye ...and ship them to you!
They are vintage...but that makes it more fun,
You know me to be a CERWIN VEGA guy.. 1986 is the year you and I purchased our Cerwin Vega's... Yep . .but I knew then as I do now that I couldn't wait until I could get a pair of OHM's..
I can't tell you how much I love the contrast being able to play both depending on what mood I'm in..
Don't rule out a pair of vintage speakers no matter what Brand..
But if I were wealthy ...knowing that you are a Cerwin Vega guy like myself and into Classical Music these days also... Even though we like the same Rock & Roll etc..
I'd have fun giving you what I know you are looking for!. .even though you may not realize it

Ironic that the OP is in Germany because the pair of speakers I wanted rid of were a big pair of Isophons. Where I live in Canada, advertising online generated no interest at all for about a year then....bingo! Someone from Korea spotted the ad and we were loading them in his van 30 minutes later.

Seems Isophone was/is considered desireable speakers in Korea.

Maybe someone hailing from North America, now living in Germany, would take a fancy to some Cerwin Vega's.

Since online advertising is free, it costs nothing to be persistent.

Back
Top Bottom