Schiit Turntable: the giant-slayer that slays giants and schiit

They are pretty well known for their irreverent attitude; but it just struck me as a little odd that one seemed at least a bit stoned and the other a little drunk while doing interviews at an audio show. I've seen other interviews with them where they would completely speak their minds but looked a lot more with it than in this one.
But they did name their company Schiit and it worked for them so why change now. Their branding seems to be very popular with their customer base and the comments alone on the video are almost religious in their admiration.
Sean Casey of Zu seems to be able to master sounding professional while still telling it like it is and being what appears to be completely himself in interviews. Every time I see an interview with him his excitement makes me want to get a set of his speakers.

Seriously, it's products like that 'turntable' that put back vinyl reproduction into the 1950s.

All the serious advances in technology, drive systems, precision speed, wow and flutter, isolation and usability and are chucked out the window to hit a price point and have a vinyl rig with a silly little, cheap-ass, wobbly uni-pivot arm in their line-up.

Anyway, until:
a) we see a production unit and
b) God forbid, some actually objectively, properly, tests the unit, instead of writing yet another pathetic-puff piece with no substance,
we won't know how adequate or poor it really is.

They are pretty well known for their irreverent attitude; but it just struck me as a little odd that one seemed at least a bit stoned and the other a little drunk while doing interviews at an audio show. I've seen other interviews with them where they would completely speak their minds but looked a lot more with it than in this one.
But they did name their company Schiit and it worked for them so why change now. Their branding seems to be very popular with their customer base and the comments alone on the video are almost religious in their admiration.
Sean Casey of Zu seems to be able to master sounding professional while still telling it like it is and being what appears to be completely himself in interviews. Every time I see an interview with him his excitement makes me want to get a set of his speakers.

Yes. I thought the description of the turntable bearing as a phallic symbol was at best immature. I turned it off after that. I'm not sure the image of a couple of overgrown drunk teenagers works as a respectable business image. Well - maybe it does for some.

They certainly don't seem to take criticism well. I followed the Schiit threads over on ASR. There were some obvious QC issues with the soldering job on some of the products. The thing that surprised me was the measurements of the Schiit "end game" DAC, the Yggdrasil (or Yggy for short). The ASR threads documented four different Yggy units. All of them demonstrated performance well below those of other far less expensive DACs. The reaction to the ASR Schiit threads on some of the other forums who are sponsored by Schiit was particularly nasty. It was all very disappointing to watch - from both sides. Schiit eventually caved to a USB board issue, but it did little to improve the baseline performance of the DAC itself. Schiit prides itself on not claiming any performance levels. I think the basis of the controversy over this particular product was mostly it's marketing hype which described it as an "end game" DAC. Measured performance does not back this up. They kind of left themselves open for this one.

Even so, I would like to see this new turntable product perform well and provide good value. It's good to see a U.S. maker of audio equipment succeed - honestly. It furthers the hobby. I like some of their products and have used several in the past. The Mani is an excellent value and the Eitr is a great piece.

I had a Yggy, and I thought it sounded great. Really nice, smooth sound. I sold it only because I decided to simplify everything and buy an Integrated amp with digital inputs. I can't speak to Schiit's defensiveness or nastiness. What I can say, and I would assume we would all likely agree on this, is that how a piece of kit measures in a lab with test equipment does not necesarily prove how good or bad it will sound. IIRC, their integrated amp (Ragnarok?) tested horribly in a review, and Schiit explained that it was because of the unique design that it would not test well. Could be B.S., but if the tested performance numbers are so off the charts bad, then you would think the "golden ears", and us mere mortals, would hear that and react accordingly. So, maybe the reason their products don't test well, but still "sound good" is because of their unique designs? No idea. I liked the Yggy.

Seems to me their are plenty of choices of turntables for a relatively small market that wants a quality table. The real issue is the small amount of people who are willing to pay for a quality product, compared to the larger amount of people who think that quality should be cheap. Your really can't expect quality to be cheap these days, you get what you pay for.

I am a bit miffed about this Sol endeavor at Schiit. I won't resent them too much for it since I never phoned in my product preferences. But really? Of all the new products to introduce, they choose a turntable? And after looking at the pictures, I hope they improve on the fit and finish. What I saw looks like something made with parts found in the hardware aisle at Lowes.

It's my believe that this is a personal endeavor for Moffat. I worry about that guy's health, as he does seem to knock em down. The side-effect of home brewing, which I think Moffat does as a hobby. The Sol might just be a bucket list item for an incredibly successful engineer. Maybe it will hold value deep into the future if Moffat's name ever becomes indelible.

1000 units they say. They'll let the die hards gobble them up. Or shall we say guinea pig them up.

Instead of the Sol TT, what new item would you prefer to see from this Schiit company in 2019?

I want to see;
1. balanced output Mani phono preamp
2. balanced output Bitfrost dac
3. balanced output SACD/CD transport/player hybrid (to compete with the Emotiva ERC-3)

Come on Moffat. You used to design CD & DVD transports back in the day. You just need to see a quarter of Rega's facility to know the expansive nature of TT's.

I had this conversation with Moffat in my head and it sounded a lot like this;

since there was a lot of opinions about the demeanor and attitude of Jason and mike, two founders and designers at schiit, i think it would be a good idea to point you guys to the book that Jason has been publishing online for some years now. it is the story of how this business started how it grew and it contains a lot of very interesting details about what it means to be an audio company and it is very nice read. i do realize that it is a particularly nerdy thing to read but it is a good read not just because of the audio, but because it has a lot of interesting lessons about business. it also explains the thinking about each product and the choices made.

the topic is more than 3000 pages but the chapters are listed here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...f-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/

specially the first few chapters are a nice read. i dont much care about the later ones as it gets boring.

...Instead of the Sol TT, what new item would you prefer to see from this Schiit company in 2019?..

Pretty much all I would want is that turntable.. And I want it six months ago, not (maybe) 2019. And I want it for what my Planar III cost me 30 years ago. That’s all I want.

I am a bit miffed about this Sol endeavor at Schiit. I won't resent them too much for it since I never phoned in my product preferences. But really? Of all the new products to introduce, they choose a turntable? And after looking at the pictures, I hope they improve on the fit and finish. What I saw looks like something made with parts found in the hardware aisle at Lowes.

It's my believe that this is a personal endeavor for Moffat. I worry about that guy's health, as he does seem to knock em down. The side-effect of home brewing, which I think Moffat does as a hobby. The Sol might just be a bucket list item for an incredibly successful engineer. Maybe it will hold value deep into the future if Moffat's name ever becomes indelible.

1000 units they say. They'll let the die hards gobble them up. Or shall we say guinea pig them up.

Instead of the Sol TT, what new item would you prefer to see from this Schiit company in 2019?

I want to see;
1. balanced output Mani phono preamp
2. balanced output Bitfrost dac
3. balanced output SACD/CD transport/player hybrid (to compete with the Emotiva ERC-3)

Come on Moffat. You used to design CD & DVD transports back in the day. You just need to see a quarter of Rega's facility to know the expansive nature of TT's.

I had this conversation with Moffat in my head and it sounded a lot like this;

From their interviews it seems like they have some other ideas in the pipe too. Personally I'm interested to see the finished product just because it's a little different from what's been put out on that front. Frankly I'm ok with them entertaining their personal endeavors a bit it being a passion project might result in something worth using.

Back
Top Bottom