The possible end of cheap shipping from China

mr_light

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I hope this will not become a political discussion, but will just be a heads up for those of us that buy many little electronic bits and pieces from China. If the China ePacket subsidy is eliminated then the days of ordering an audio cable for under two dollars shipped from Shenzhen will be over. For those that order a lot of small items from China should keep track of this possible change. If you search on "End of Cheap Shipping From China" you can read all about it.

An observation and not a political statement either way. Now that the tide has changed this past Tuesday, I think trade with China will become less of an issue. I can't speak for others but I enjoy buying items from China and hope the "End of Cheap Shipping From China" is not upon us.

maybe, maybe.

China, resellers everywhere, Amazon, etc will find more "optimal" and more "efficient"
ways to ship to the US.

I just received Chinese-made goods at that same old "inexpensive" rate but with US
return addresses. I suspect this is all planned.

if something is made in China, using parts made outside the US, assembled/soldered
outside the US, then why is it unfair to US sellers who have no design/manufacturing/
assembly/shipping skin in the game. anyone want to pay a 100% premium for the
CEO's total emolument?

I buy American. but it's now a big challenge. shirts, shoes, outerware, all now made
you know where.

I'm looking for carts, tubes, classical LPs,

where in the US? someone, anyone...

maybe, maybe.

China, resellers everywhere, Amazon, etc will find more "optimal" and more "efficient"
ways to ship to the US.

I just received Chinese-made goods at that same old "inexpensive" rate but with US
return addresses. I suspect this is all planned.

if something is made in China, using parts made outside the US, assembled/soldered
outside the US, then why is it unfair to US sellers who have no design/manufacturing/
assembly/shipping skin in the game. anyone want to pay a 100% premium for the
CEO's total emolument?

I buy American. but it's now a big challenge. shirts, shoes, outerware, all now made
you know where.

I'm looking for carts, tubes, classical LPs,

where in the US? someone, anyone...

I appreciate your America First effort but I think my quality of life would suffer. I try to buy American made as much as I can but finding pure bred American products is difficult. For example, my last two cars are a Pontiac GTO and a Ford Crown Victoria. The Pontiac was a re-badged Holden from Australia. My Vic was made in St. Thomas, Canada and has tons of Chinese and Mexican parts.

I believe the tide of China made products may be starting to slip the other way with more and sophisticated automated manufacturing and now shipping increases, along with the usual disadvantages of trying to keep product quality up especially for us companies manufacturing there. It might force the Chinese to get more innovative and come out with high quality cutting edge products themselves rather than just knocking off others.

I believe the tide of China made products may be starting to slip the other way with more and sophisticated automated manufacturing and now shipping increases, along with the usual disadvantages of trying to keep product quality up especially for us companies manufacturing there. It might force the Chinese to get more innovative and come out with high quality cutting edge products themselves rather than just knocking off others.

Keep in mind that in just 50 years, the Chinese have transformed themselves into a near first world power. They have built tremendous wealth but they do not have the long history of property rights and consumer culture that is the underpinning of the West. The stuff they make for others is world class. For example, Apple products are mostly made in China.

Keep in mind that in just 50 years, the Chinese have transformed themselves into a near first world power. They have built tremendous wealth but they do not have the long history of property rights and consumer culture that is the underpinning of the West. The stuff they make for others is world class. For example, Apple products are mostly made in China.
True enough, China is more than capable of building anything that they choose. . And there are China companies building their own cellphones as I understand it. But also due to the global nature, these mfg facilities can be moved pretty easily should it be advantageous to do so.

I was more speaking about the lesser high tech things, particularly parts and whole products being built in China for less currently. With manufacturing becoming more and more advanced, cutting labor out more, with advances in things like 3D printing, cheap labor is less of an asset than it once was. Add to that, growing shipping, possibly political unrest, trade wars etc and that was more the point,not the capability of the nation. Times they are ALWAYS changing it turns out.

True enough, China is more than capable of building anything that they choose. . And there are China companies building their own cellphones as I understand it. But also due to the global nature, these mfg facilities can be moved pretty easily should it be advantageous to do so.

I was more speaking about the lesser high tech things, particularly parts and whole products being built in China for less currently. With manufacturing becoming more and more advanced, cutting labor out more, with advances in things like 3D printing, cheap labor is less of an asset than it once was. Add to that, growing shipping, possibly political unrest, trade wars etc and that was more the point,not the capability of the nation. Times they are ALWAYS changing it turns out.

I'm taking advantage of the current trade environment. My Chinese watch arrived today. It looks expensive but it isn't. In fact, it is ridiculously cheap compared to a luxury watch.

Back
Top Bottom