Albums best listened to, start to finish?

There was on mine :)

Any new vinyl version (it's a 200g heavyweight issue) should be fine as original copies are going to be quite a few years old now.

In addition to the above, I'll add Black Crowes : The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.
RUSH 2112 is another

Think I've posted this before, at least once. Listening to an album, to me, is like going on a journey, and all the songs on the album are a part of the journey. There are many that stand out as flowing together , or whatever. Just about any of the Moody Blues albums come to mind. One of my most favorite albums, Shawn Phillips "Faces" , I learned about thirty years after falling in love with it, is a compilation album. About fell outta my chair when I found that out. Anyway, when I put an album on, I'm going on a journey, and that means I'm gonna travel the whole album.

"Five Live Yardbirds" Yardbirds recorded live at the Marquee Club London. E.C. was about 19 year old.
Best live album ever (just my opinion you understand) Just plows through the set non stop.
None of this , have a smoke, have a drink, talk to the audience, tune up, crap.
upload_2019-2-12_20-16-26.png

A number of my fav bands/albums already listed.

I rarely listen to individual tunes. I love albums where there is a connection between tracks that makes the album greater than the sum of the individual tracks; probably why I prefer a number of progressive and/or concept albums or well selected compilation albums, such as movie soundtracks.

A few examples:
Bladerunner Soundtrack by Vangellis.
Daft Punk - Alive.
Baby Driver soundtrack.

Anything by Jean Michelle Jarre or Pink Floyd or Rush or early Queensryche or the Orb

Allow me to elaborate, and to apologize if this is a threadworn thread:

Roxy's Music's Avalon just flows, one song suggesting the next. The entire album has a mood and while you can certainly enjoy a single track, the songs on this album are best experienced as a part of the whole. Does that make sense?

What other albums are like this? Any genre, any time in history--talk to me, people! I wanna get lost in some beautifully-conceived albums!
Animals by Pink Floyd.... just to get started...

FRED JR.

There are a ton of albums that flow like AVALON, already mentioned in this thread.
Trouble is, none of us agree on every album as it's all highly subjective.
Have a read. Have a listen. Take your pick. That's what I do.

LOW RISK Recommendations from me include: -
  • RHYE, Woman
  • ZERO7, Simple Things
  • MICHAEL FRANKS, The Art of Tea; (Also) Tiger in the Rain
  • STEELY DAN, Gaucho
  • DONALD FAGEN, The Nightfly
  • KAREN SOUZA, Hotel Souza
  • MARK KNOPFLER, Ragpickers Dream
Hope you can find at least one, new "AVALON".

s-l300.jpg

FRED JR.

There are a ton of albums that flow like AVALON, already mentioned in this thread.
Trouble is, none of us agree on every album as it's all highly subjective.
Have a read. Have a listen. Take your pick. That's what I do.

LOW RISK Recommendations from me include: -
  • RHYE, Woman
  • ZERO7, Simple Things
  • MICHAEL FRANKS, The Art of Tea; (Also) Tiger in the Rain
  • STEELY DAN, Gaucho
  • DONALD FAGEN, The Nightfly
  • KAREN SOUZA, Hotel Souza
  • MARK KNOPFLER, Ragpickers Dream
Hope you can find at least one, new "AVALON".
Love Steely Dan; good call. "Aja" is also fantastic, obviously. Will give that Knopfler album a shot; I just remembered Telegraph Road by Dire Straits was quite the album (I think that was the name of the album, anyways).

Back
Top Bottom