Phillips FB-825 question

Nezpique

I bought my parents a complete sound system in the late 80's. The only thing that I really liked in the system after listening to them for years was the speakers (FB-825's). I just inherited them, and of course they need to be completely re-foamed. Does anyone know where I can find the foam surrounds?? Can they be replaced with something more durable?? Also, would the X-over's need attention? They might not be the most sought after speakers but they hold sentimental value and I want to bring them back to life. Thanks for any advise and opinions.

Rick Cobb (rcobb@tampabay.rr.com) can get surrounds for almost any speaker, and his prices are reasonable. I suggest contacting him first.

Regarding the crossovers, they might need to be recapped, depending on the quality of capacitors that were originally used. Post a clear pic of the crossovers, if you can, so we can get an idea.

Thanks guys. The speakers are still at my moms house and plan to pick them up this week. Will post pics then.

Phillips made some very nice and under-the-radar speakers. Good luck with the restore and looking forward to seeing the finished results.

i don't have a big enough room for them to give them a full audition. Once I get the rear room of my garage cleaned out, they will probably go there.

I finally got to look at the X-over in the Phillips FB-825's. As it turns out, the tag says FB-825X, not sure the difference. I also noticed a small device screwed to the crossover, looks like a couple of caps and idk, looks like a relay of some sort???? The woofers have a stamp on the magnet that says made in Belgium. The boxes are very stout with lots of bracing inside.

Phillips crossover 1.jpg Phillips crossover.jpg Phillips model number.jpg

If no one has a source, you can try cutting down a larger sized surround.

If there is enough of the old foams still intact, ask Rick to send you instructions on how to measure them and then see what he has that might be slightly larger. You can take a larger surround and cut it down to fit when no other option is readily available. I had to do this on a set of ADS L710s when surrounds were not readily available (although they can be found now).

You can reference that thread here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ads-l710-refoam.457136/

Was not hard to do, but I would recommend buying an extra set in case you make a mistake.

Last edited:
I finally got to look at the X-over in the Phillips FB-825's. As it turns out, the tag says FB-825X, not sure the difference. I also noticed a small device screwed to the crossover, looks like a couple of caps and idk, looks like a relay of some sort???? The woofers have a stamp on the magnet that says made in Belgium. The boxes are very stout with lots of bracing inside.

View attachment 1340390 View attachment 1340391 View attachment 1340392
I am fixing four of these 825 what did you find out

Fixing to roll em out and start the rebuild, although I still don't have any surrounds but to be honest, I haven't been looking. How's yours coming Mike??

Back
Top Bottom