Yamaha B2 driver board diagnosis

Thanks for the tips guys.

On another note, schematic of driver board says R153 should be 33K. For both of my driver boards R153 measures ~18K.

Is this a typo on the schematic?

Measured out of circuit, of course. :) It basically measured the same in circuit too, though.
Does it look OEM ? Are there any markings on the resistor? Could be a typo. What does the parts list call for?

Does it look OEM ? Are there any markings on the resistor? Could be a typo. What does the parts list call for?

It looks original. It has coloured stripes on it like all the others, but they're getting faded to read with certainty. The parts list in the SM is not exhaustive - doesn't list to that detail, does it? I don't see many resistors on the list, just the fusibles and a few metal films.

Found a bad 2SC1775A.

I think I'm going to replace all transistors just for peace of mind. I already did TR107-110 and TR121-124.

Does anyone have suggested equivalents for:

2SA872A
2SA872BV
2SC1775A
2SC1775BV
2SC1439B
2SC734Y
2SA561O
2SA858V

Hello

I think I'm going to replace all transistors just for peace of mind.
I will not do it at your place , this is not necessary . Just replace bad components

B2-resistor-R153.JPG To answer to your question

R153 is 33K on schematic
R153 is not listed in parts list
R153 is 18K on all the driver boards I have (more than 14 pieces )

If you watch carefully in SM the orange 100nF capacitor next to R153 is symbolised by a " strap" ......
Many mistake in service manual
not enough time to list them all here

View attachment 1328630

Last edited:
Hello

I think I'm going to replace all transistors just for peace of mind.
I will not do it at your place , this is not necessary . Just replace bad components

Thank you, sir.

The reason I suggest changing transistors: I have two boards not functioning quite right. The first one balances fine but wants to adjust between +/- 5 and +/- 8 volts for PG and NG. The second one has more of a challenge with balance, and wants to adjust between about 26V and 40V PG and much, much lower on NG.

I have tested all resistors, capacitors, and diodes twice on both boards and everything looks good. But, I do not have a curve tracer. I can only do basic DMM test on transistors. At one point, I tried moving TR 119 and 120 from second board to first board and suddenly I could adjust first board to perfect +/- 13.5V. Then I had my probe adventure and we are back to +/- 6V.

I have one bad 2SC1775A and I'm quite sure there are more transistors that are passing DMM test but are still not functioning properly.

Original B2 transistors are really rare and deserve to be replaced only if they fail
You can send your boards to somebody who knows very well B2 " Vint Age " he is like you in Canada
I am in France and shipping charges will be more expensive

Original B2 transistors are really rare and deserve to be replaced only if they fail
You can send your boards to somebody who knows very well B2 " Vint Age " he is like you in Canada
I am in France and shipping charges will be more expensive

Are you saying equivalent transistors for most of the transistors on the B2 driver boards are not available?

I was tinkering with a driver board today. It balances to 0V just fine and gives me an even +/- 21V at PG and NG. BUT, VR102 has absolutely no effect on changing PG and NG. And yes, VR102 is working.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
So, to recap: all passive components on this driver board have been checked and verified.

It now has brand new replacements for all TR117 -> TR124.

I'm still at the situation where it balances to 0V just fine and gives me an even +/- 21V at PG and NG, but VR102 has absolutely no effect on changing PG and NG.

Does bias adjustment rely on something else that I'm missing?

So, to recap: all passive components on this driver board have been checked and verified.

It now has brand new replacements for all TR117 -> TR124.

I'm still at the situation where it balances to 0V just fine and gives me an even +/- 21V at PG and NG, but VR102 has absolutely no effect on changing PG and NG.

Does bias adjustment rely on something else that I'm missing?
Does the other board adjust per manual?

Does the other board adjust per manual?

Not yet! They both have issues, and I'm tackling them one at a time.

Interesting observation: VR102 didn't adjust anything because my dyslexia kicked in and I installed R153 back in the wrong position - the only position on the board that has an unused resistor spot.

So, what is interesting is that without R153 installed I get a balanced +/- 21V for PG and NG.

Once I reinstall R153, I can get PG to +15V but NG hovers around 0.

dyslexia kicked in and I installed R153 back in the wrong position - the only position on the board that has an unused resistor spot.
What base voltage are you seeing on TR123 and 124? What transistor part number is TR123? 124?

Back
Top Bottom