Digital tire pressure gauge

mzeitlin3348

See it and Believe
I have an old Accutire pressure gauge. It uses two sets of batteries - one 3V lithum coin cell internal not meant to be replaced and two replaceable button cells which provide backlighting.

Recently, the 3V lithium battery finally died out (displays a "L" in the LCD window). I decided to replace it out of curiosity with a new identical CR2032 coin cell. The gauge lit up again - "L" is gone, but the unit only shows "1.0 psi" reading. It no longer works like before.

Just curious if anyone else has played with these and ran into this. Maybe it's just a reset or re-calibration method that's needed. Not worth much time as they are cheap to replace, just curious how it works and why after the internal battery died, the unit no longer works after replacing that battery with a new one.

Had a similar problem with a car fob, a different new cell got it going. Haven't a clue why.

Mine has got digits onnit ... ;-}

31j5JbzYG5L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Here in California you have to be careful, especially if you live in the LA or Bay Area. Every time you add air to your tires, you have to have them re-balanced due to the weight of the smog.

Here in California you have to be careful, especially if you live in the LA or Bay Area. Every time you add air to your tires, you have to have them re-balanced due to the weight of the smog.
Same in SLC during an atmospheric inversion.

The lower psi units work ok but I prefer one that has at least 125 psi (preferably more) output for tires that are harder to drive. Tires with or without tubes tend to be a personal choice.

So they put Nitrogen in tires because the molecules are larger and it won't leak out. The air we breath is 80% Nitrogen (give or take) so why can't you just overinflate your tires by 20% then let the O2 leak out over time leaving you with 100% Nitrogen for free? :rflmao:

So they put Nitrogen in tires because the molecules are larger and it won't leak out. The air we breath is 80% Nitrogen (give or take) so why can't you just overinflate your tires by 20% then let the O2 leak out over time leaving you with 100% Nitrogen for free? :rflmao:

More snake oil from asshole tire companies.

F1 teams use dry nitrogen gas to inflate their tires instead of air. This is done for two reasons. Firstly the moisture content of air is variable depending on the local weather conditions and this differs considerably between some of the exotic locations on the GP calendar. By using dry nitrogen gas the tires will behave in a predictable way wherever they are being used. The second reason is that air is a mixture of nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%). Oxygen gas is far more reactive than nitrogen and at the high operating temperatures of F1 tires (> 100°C) the oxygen reacts with the tire, reducing the total pressure inside. Using pure nitrogen removes this problem and tire pressures remain far more consistent.

So unless you're planning to "tear up the asphalt" at 200mph... air is fine.

I have an old Accutire pressure gauge. It uses two sets of batteries - one 3V lithum coin cell internal not meant to be replaced and two replaceable button cells which provide backlighting.

Recently, the 3V lithium battery finally died out (displays a "L" in the LCD window). I decided to replace it out of curiosity with a new identical CR2032 coin cell. The gauge lit up again - "L" is gone, but the unit only shows "1.0 psi" reading. It no longer works like before.

Just curious if anyone else has played with these and ran into this. Maybe it's just a reset or re-calibration method that's needed. Not worth much time as they are cheap to replace, just curious how it works and why after the internal battery died, the unit no longer works after replacing that battery with a new one.

It could be that whatever IC chip does the thinking for the gauge didn't like the battery change and crapped out.

That's ridiculous. Any old rubber will do. AND OF COURSE you don't want to do a DBT to tell me which hose you used. Typical. Phhht.
I have a container of brilliant pebbles attached to my compressor. They compensate for any ill effects caused by inferior hose.

Back
Top Bottom