Pie Pan Drivers?

Either the front baffle or rear panel has to be completely removable - - I don't see any other way inside.

You need a specialized tool...

31G924XAF1L.jpg

I remember Theils having "pie pan" drivers.
images
If they were larger they would make good custom car wheels. The FOOS/Theil drivers made for drivers.

Lot of good info in this thread already but I recall an extensive thread a year or two ago on this very driver in case the OP has not yet searched AK.

It's weird, man. Groovy and weird.

You mentioned crossover re-hab in post #13 - - - how did you get inside?

You access the x-over panel through the mid range holes.
The easiest way to work on it is to pry out the staples that hold the x-over piece on.

I thought this was a joke, after reading thru it still boggles my mind. Even showed the wifey and she said wtf???

Just cause you can doesn't mean you should. I can't uh...jeez I'm speechless.

Had a pair I picked up for $10. Beautiful cabinets and sounded like a$$ with anything but tubes.
Surprisingly with the LK-72 they sounded terrific to me anyway.

Last edited:
THE Bill Hecht?!! From Phase Technonogy???Didn’t he pretty much invent the soft dome tweeter??

He’s given credit for its invention by most folks. IIRC, he held a patent for a while.
If I also recall, there may be some controversy if he was actually the first to implement the soft dome. Fuzzy memories.

I remember Theils having "pie pan" drivers.
images
If they were larger they would make good custom car wheels. The FOOS/Theil drivers made for drivers.
You beat me to it, I scanned the thread to make sure. These are butt ugly and I have heard them several times....did not really care for them.

Probably just about the best speakers to listen to these guys on:

BTW, I saw these guys ~1970 as the headliners. Slade was the opening band and It's a Beautiful Day played in the middle.

And, Humble Pie did play this one.

Probably just about the best speakers to listen to these guys on:

BTW, I saw these guys ~1970 as the headliners. Slade was the opening band and It's a Beautiful Day played in the middle.

And, Humble Pie did play this one.

The late, great Steve Marriott. One of the best voices of 70's rock.

There are very good reasons to avoid using a speaker basket if you can. All it can do is reflect the backwave, causing some sound reflection and and creating an assymetry in the field in front and behind of the driver. KLH did something similar with the original Six, where the woofer had no basket and the magnet was held by four posts that were epoxied to the front baffle. When everyone used tube amps, it wasn't that easy to blow a woofer, so permanently sealed enclosures and non replaceable parts weren't an obvious mistake (though the Sixes were bedeviled by fragile tweeters and leads when people started removing grills -which is why later KLHs all have a metal grill over the tweeter).
Bill Hecht certainly had some patents on dome tweeters, though AR developed them simultaneously. Bill's suffered from the problems much new technology does - unpredictable behavior of new compounds - and the suspension system of his domes didn't age well. I believe almost everyone who owns Fishers that have the dome drivers has had to rebuild them.
I believe the problems started early enough that Fisher took a bath on them, and that's why they went back to cones. And to be honest, cones have a great deal going for them, and an argument can be made that they represent a better choice in many applications. It's easier for a cone to go down low - larger area helps - their polar pattern is more easily integrated with the woofer, and they are cheaper, generally - and given how much small costs can drive up the price of a speaker, they may allow a much better price/performance ratio. Good cones have little to give up to good domes - many people would rate the little Peerless cone as one of the better tweeters ever made.

Back
Top Bottom