PS Audio Sprout100 Integrated. Any opinions?

HiFiJeff

I have been on the hunt for new amp for my system and have contemplated the PS Audio Sprout100. I have known about this little all in one integrated amp for awhile now but never really paid much attention to it. Anyone here have experience with it? It's even got a phono input and a subwoofer output! It's a simple all in one solution but if I am not going to get better sound out of it compared to my current Class D amps like the Allo Volt+, then there is no point. It looks interesting though.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout100-integrated-amplifier/

upload_2018-11-15_12-50-14.png

I have no personal experience with it, but a) a friend of mine owns one paired with Dali Zensor speakers and likes it - he's had that set up for a few years now, and b) I believe there is an AK thread somewhere dogging the amp. That doesn't help you in the least, I know. But it gets this thread bumped.

EDIT - oh wait is this a new edition of the Sprout? My friend has the old version.

Keep in mind that link and this one here were for the original edition. Biggest hang-up some folks had was some weird bass roll-off. PS Audio may (or may not) have changed that for the new version. It definitely looks intriguing. And 30-day audition period is always nice.

Well all I keep reading is favorable review after favorable review and this last review might have just hooked me. His last paragraph. Umm..... well I own DW's so there ya go!

upload_2018-11-15_13-42-57.png

I've heard the Sprout 100 a couple of times--it's surprising the amount of good sound that comes out of that small component. If you're not sure about it, order it direct from PS Audio and give it a try for 30 days. https://www.psaudio.com/sprout100/

The phono stage should be quite good (PS Audio's first-ever product was a phono stage), and the onboard DAC, via USB, takes PCM digital up to 384kHz and DSD up to 2X.

The Sprout was Scott McGowan's idea--an audiophile-grade component that didn't compromise sound quality, but kept everything in one tidy package. I have no use for one myself (I only have one room to keep a system in, and I'm set there), but I am still curious to hear it in my current setup. Pair the Sprout100 with a good turntable and a streamer like the UltraRendu or MicroRendu, and it would make a really nice compact system for the money.

If I remember right, I was looking for a small amp recently, the bass anomalies are there in the 100 but they can be defeated. So you can send a flat response out to the speakers.

I has a Sprout. Ended up selling it but really enjoyed it. So much so that I now have a PS Audio phono preamp and a DAC. I wanted to get another small amp and since I’ve owned a few (Rega, the Sprout and Bel Canto). I settled on the another Bel Canto. This is for my living room system.

I wish I had a chance to hear the new 100 but I decided not to worry about having to return if I didn’t like it. Also. I was not psyched about the optical vs the coaxial input. I hope that if you get one. You post your impressions. I really enjoyed the first gen Sprout.

It's not really an anomaly--it was a bass boost built into the original Sprout, as they figured many owners would use the Sprout with smaller speakers. But thanks to feedback from Sprout owners, they made it defeatable in the Sprout100, and added a subwoofer output as well (which automatically defeats the bass boost).

a·nom·a·ly
/əˈnäməlē/
noun
  1. 1.
    something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected.
    "there are a number of anomalies in the present system"

I would think that flat response the the goal of most amplifier designers. I understand that the bass curve was a design choice. It’s still not the norm.

Last edited:
For me the problem with the unit is the built in dac. Digital technology changes too rapidly. I'd rather have a straight ahead integrated with a outboard budget DAC and phono pre for $600. More flexible and future proof.

Heard a foursome of Cambridge Audio CXC, Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon , PS Audio Sprout100 and ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 speakers. Cabling was lower end Audioquest

All new equipment playing in a 2br apartment's main living room/kitchen approximately 300sq ft (guessing). Was very enjoyable, particularly liked the CD front-end better than the LP side

so for what ? $2,000 can get a quality system. Damn good IMO

Heard a foursome of Cambridge Audio CXC, Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon , PS Audio Sprout100 and ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 speakers. Cabling was lower end Audioquest

All new equipment playing in a 2br apartment's main living room/kitchen approximately 300sq ft (guessing). Was very enjoyable, particularly liked the CD front-end better than the LP side

Why?!?! Why did you have to do this to me? LOL. :) I am in the return period for my Saga and NuForce and I just watched the review of the Sprout 100 that Zero Fidelity just posted a couple of day ago. It's REALLY making me question my choice even though I am very happy with the Saga and NuForce. Isn't the Sprout 50watts per channel?

<snip> I just watched the review of the <snip>. It's REALLY making me question my choice even though I am very happy with <snip>

Ah, the power of the internet to drive sales of audio equipment that nobody knew they 'needed'. That line has been uttered by many an audio fan.

While it is fun to read and watch information about new products it can be really easy to get sucked into the 'this is so much better than what you have' or 'your system just isn't complete without this' whirlpool.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

So I am assuming that the CXC was connected to the Sprout via optical. And the cd sound was pretty good huh?
CD's and streaming from my Yammy is all I play. This might be a real nice all in one option. for me.

Back
Top Bottom