fake mustards

I have a bag full of original mustard caps (NOS). I can post some pictures for future reference if anyone is interested. We can even cut one in half just for fun if you like.

hello

thanks for the welcome, can't discuss the topic any further as advised.
plenty of info on facebook page.

tassos karas

There's quite a few of all sorts of values. I've had them since the 1970s when I bought a retiring technician's gear and components. Sold a bunch of them 10 years ago for what I thought was silly money.

I say we cut a few up and see what they are like inside. :)

That's the exact advice I'd give to people right now...open up some caps, some old ones..and then open up some of these new turds bought in bags, singles and couples etc from countrys of origin such as France, Turkey, Chile, Portugal and Germany.

tassos karas

Last edited:
There's quite a few of all sorts of values. I've had them since the 1970s when I bought a retiring technician's gear and components. Sold a bunch of them 10 years ago for what I thought was silly money.

I say we cut a few up and see what they are like inside. :)
Branded?

hello,

I haven't heard the fakes. They may well be ' better'. ( they're certainly built better) They may well filter out peaky highs and thicken up or compress the signal just like an original mustard. They may not.
I suspect some kind of difference as the dielectric is different, it looks like mylar, but it's tougher, much tougher.
Paper vs plastic bobbin and paper vs plastic transformer wrap = difference in tone, so i suspect it's the same for capacitance, I'm actually not sure at all.
I'm just the guy that pulled one apart after 20-30? years of people being ripped off and realised quickly that these ebay mustards, the majority of them are fake...and then published the proof.
I'm sure I'm not the first person to realise either, people aren't that guillable for that long a time.
The fakes are covered in epoxy, obviously fresh..the stuff is like steel. The originals are covered in a coating that is going off..relatively soft.

tassos karas.

Back
Top Bottom