My winter marantz projects

Jonstigator

OK. These will be for my very own not to sell ever no matter what my wife says.

I have a 2220b and a 2225 in the best cosmetic condition I have seen in quite a while. These are no brainers since I have done a dozen or so. Almost the same unit.

This should be super fun since I broke down and bought a nice desoldering vacuum gun.
I hate desoldering! :whip:

My question is:

I have a Model 28 with no turntable that I kinda like the looks of. I downloaded the service manual and is quite different from the "newer" 22xx stuff I worked on in the past. Does seem more detailed.

Is this worth putting money into it?
How do you get the wood case off the frame?

Thoughts?

While I wait I will start cross referencing transistors.

Thanks

OK. I am into cross referencing and right off the bat I would like some input.

The p400 board of this Model 28 is loaded with NPN transistors The two I'm looking at are 2sc458LGC and 2sc644S.

I am temped to replaced the 2sc458 with KSC1845FTA and the 2sc644 with KSC945yta. After some thought , ksc945yta would be better replacement for both.

Thoughts?

Model 28 - early Japanese model - looks like it came right after the 22 (was supposed the succeed the 19 - but after the US factory burnt down by "accident" - Marantz moved to Japan with Standard Radio).

I wouldn't sink too much money into it
just my 2 cents

Thanks Avionic.

I agree tranguru. I just like the looks and thought it might be nice for my pole barn/deer camp.

Ivandezande, I might just leave all. Just like having everything on hand before I start. I don't mind buying a bunch of transistors when placing a cap order. Always nice to have them on hand.

Not claiming this is the best, but it’s a video I posted a couple of years ago showing the use of the Hakko FR300 dedoldering gun. I love mine.
This may well be a Xmas to me present :) I've hit the tipping point I think. I'm a heavy braid user... I really dislike hand solder suckers. Didn't like them when I worked for Hughes and still do not like them. We used braid all the time but the re-work girls on the line had the nifty power suckers like this.. but better :) When I started with restorations here, It was to be an "occasional" effort .. ha! the bench hasn't been empty for the better part of a year now. One thing leads to another. Marantz, Kenwood, Sony, Fisher, Fender.. it's getting crowded over here.

Which desolder gun did you get? I keep thinking i need a Xmas present to me ;)

Not claiming this is the best, but it’s a video I posted a couple of years ago showing the use of the Hakko FR300 dedoldering gun. I love mine.
Steve

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/use-of-hakko-fr300-desoldering-gun-video.741463/

My pockets were not quite deep enough for a Hakko but one can dream. I cheaped out and bought the Aoyue 8800 for $159.00. It had good reviews and the videos were quite impressive. If I hate it I will put it on ebay and get a Hakko. I will update how I like it when it gets here Friday. Anything would be better than a plunger sucker and braid. I will still use braid cause it has applications that make it handy.

I truly hate to desolder and I have little patience for it and ruined a pad or two in the past. This goes back to my Navy Avionics Tech days. My theory is starting to come back and my dislike for desolder operations.

Hmmm, thought I would have a scope and a sine wave generator by now. Ah Christmas is coming. Time to make a note to wife.

Last edited:
thought I would have a scope and a sine wave generator by now.
A just few items.. I use a sine wave of 2Khz for testing and it turns out that there is an iPhone app that makes a good sine wave generator :)I think it was a buck or two. What do you want to do with the scope? a cheap digital scope for very basic measurements are 100 bucks. 150 will get a Pico scope which is USB based and a laptop or you can get a used scope off eBay. I've tried a couple of the "DIY" cheap scopes and they do work after a fashion. But 150 dollars seems to be the threshold for something that is strictly a learning tool vs something of real use. I bought a 475 some years ago off eBay and while it's a workhorse, I never use the advanced features anymore.. and I don't like how much room it takes up. I bought a 10 dollar kit signal generator and it worked.. but was not very stable. The phone app kicks ass for my audio source :)

I want to use a scope for tuner alignment. I have a Samsung galaxy provided by my employer. Cant justify buying a $800 dollar phone when I can get what I really want for less. Now I have looked at those USB Pico scopes but would like to know what other AK'ers thought of them. I do like your line of thinking though.

Which desolder gun did you get? I keep thinking i need a Xmas present to me ;)

Well I got it today and had a chance to use it. It kinda looks like the Hakko fr300 as it should cause it is a knock off. It works extremely well. I desoldered 8 transistors in less than 5 minutes. With practice I could go faster. Leaves pads pretty darn clean to the point that I may not clean them with braid and flux. Poor pic but look for yourself.

Attachments

• Tone_control.JPG
    Tone_control.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom