Kef 104/2 vs Cantata

I am sure you would be pleased with either speaker. As I said in my earlier post I have listened to both although the Cantata was in 1979 when I purchased my KEF Calinda speakers. I still have the Calinda and also the 104/2. In my opinion (and of course everybody hears things differently) the Cantata was a step above the Calinda but not worth the double price differential to me. I would say that the 104/2 is more than a step above the Calinda. Of course that is comparing what I am hearing now compared to 39 years ago.

Both are excellent speakers and both would benefit from a more powerful amp than your current Sansui. Even if you went with the Cantata, an amp upgrade would be beneficial. The 104/2 can sound very good with low powered amps but really open up with more wattage and current.

Hmmm. Just lugged the 9500 into the house, and hooked it up to my current speakers (MS Pageants and Kef 304's).

The volume level is *very* quiet. Wonder if I'm doing something dumb - the seller demoed the amplifier and it seemed great.

Anyone familiar with the 9500? The 104|2's are still in the car - waiting for some help to carry them into the house.

Make sure the amp is switched to its integrated mode and you are on the right input - no tape switch monitors are on. Ensure jumpers are in back from "pre out" to "main in" (if this unit uses jumpers, some of the top-end sansui's dont need them).

Last edited:
D'oh! Turns out the tape monitor switch was set to "Playback Deck 1" and not "Source". I wrongly assumed that the input selector know would override the tape switches, and didn't remember changing any switches after the amp was demoed. All good!

I wouldn't have expected any sound from the selected input - must be some crosstalk somewhere...

Got my son to help carry the 104/2's into the house. They sound great but the tweeters will indeed need to have the ferrofluid redone, as indicated earlier.

Thanks again to all for the help!

[edit: the tweeter in one of the speakers is really gone, the other is not too bad. Will dig into this tomorrow...]

Last edited:
Don't forget theses Kefs LOVE Lots of power .

I think the AU-9500 upgrade was a good move (its nominal power rating of 75 wpc is probably an underestimate). Been A/B-ing the good channel of the 104/2's with the corresponding Pageant, and it's looking really good for these Kefs. On the other hand, I'm really impressed at how the Mordaunt-Shorts hold up - I think I will keep these for a basement listening area. For relatively small speakers, the MS fare really well. The 104/2's will definitely be a step up for the living room though, once the tweeter issues (mostly on one channel) are sorted out.

Last edited:
Update: I ran over to Solen at lunch time and picked up a pair of Peerless/Tymphany (Vifa) BC25TG-15-04 tweeters. They were only about $15CAD each (were the only 4ohm tweeters in stock that would fit).

First I replaced the tweeter that was clearly defunct, and did a brief A/B against the original 104/2 speaker (set amplifier to L+R stereo mode and panned between left and right). They were pretty close, although the newer tweeter was a bit brighter.

With the two Peerless tweeters installed, the speakers sound really good. Was able to A/B/C against the Pageants and 304's, and the 104/2's were definitely more engaging overall.

At some point I'll try doing the ferrofluid overhaul on the original tweeters I pulled out.

IMG_1487.jpg IMG_1494.jpg IMG_1497.jpg

I would get the tweeters running and put them back in ASAP . Nice pick up on the 104 s

Thanks - after listening for a while, I do suspect these Peerless tweeters don't quite fit, although it could be the break-in period as well.

I gather that just cleaning off the old ferrofluid should give an improvement. I might try that in the short term, while figuring out how to source the proper replacement ferrofluid.

Another question: these look to be designed as floor-standing speakers. Am I correct in assuming it wouldn't be appropriate or beneficial to put them on stands? I've heard some people like to angle them up slightly.

[edit: the installation manual on the Kef site says very clearly they're designed to stand on the floor]

Last edited:
As mentioned above, Parts Express carries little vials of ferrofluid. I tried listening to one without the fluid, after cleaning it out. It sounded too bright. Adding the fluid smooths out the highs. Gold luck with your refurb! Great sounding, cool-looking speakers.

Yeah, the ferrofluid process now that the tweeters are already out will only take a few minutes each. easy peasy.

Probably too late now, but for future reference I believe the Cantatas were all custom ordered and never available off the shelf. Theyre also massive and weigh a ton. Gave my dad a pair with a Sansui AU999 and then an 888 and they sound unreal.

Back
Top Bottom