VIKING SC-5814 RECEIVER:

BOUXY

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
On this unit the Volume & Balance are located together.
When Volume is off there is still some sound/music coming from the unit on the right side of balance control.
I've tried cleaning the two pots but to no avail.
What could be wrong?SC-5814.jpg

Hard to tell without a schematic.. If its anything like the 5813 the volume potentiometer R-Ch is miss tracking or still dirty ...

sure looks like the LRE LR-5555 (A), i.e., the Setton RS-440.
Not sure if that's helpful or not, but it seemed worth mentionin'.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/lafayette-lr-5555.503093/#post-6531233

index.php

LR5555A by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
Setton RS660 RS440 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

sure looks like the LRE LR-5555 (A), i.e., the Setton RS-440.
Not sure if that's helpful or not, but it seemed worth mentionin'.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/lafayette-lr-5555.503093/#post-6531233

index.php

LR5555A by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
Setton RS660 RS440 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Yes, the Viking is pretty much a Lafayette LR-5555 and Setton 660 (the Setton has a protection section the other two do not).
The Lafayette (and possibly the Viking ***EDIT---the Viking has a seperate off/on switch*** see below) are known to have problems with the off/on/speaker selector switch. Not sure if that has anything to do with the OP's problem, just that it's a known weakness.

Last edited:
The ON/OFF AC ALPS switch on the speaker control switch is not the problem here.

For each channel, the volume control pot has two taps on it (normal pot has one). It could be the control is starting to deteriorate causing the problem. With the volume control set to zero, no signal should appear on the input capacitor of the tone control board circuitry. I would also check out the resistor/capacitor components between the balance and volume controls (associated with the loudness switch) for capacitor leakage or resistor value change. A scope would be a valuable instrument in tracking down the problem in a short time.

Yes, the Viking is pretty much a Lafayette LR-5555 and Setton 660 (the Setton has a protection section the other two do not).
The Lafayette (and possibly the Viking) are known to have problems with the off/on/speaker selector switch. Not sure if that has anything to do with the OP's problem, just that it's a known weakness.

The Viking has it's own ON/OFF Switch seperate from the Speaker selector:)

The Viking has it's own ON/OFF Switch seperate from the Speaker selector:)

Thanks for that info. I see it now above the headphone jack?
I try to be accurate with my posts but sometimes I fail.

I have an old Realistic integrated that passes a little sound in one channel with the volume all the way down. I have cleaned the pot without success.
At some point I may replace it with a better one. The original isn't that well made. I had one where one channel would start passing signal before the other. Replacing the old pot cured it. I would check any caps or resistors connected to your pot first before replacing it.

Back
Top Bottom