Do all SS amplifiers sound alike?

Do all solid state amplifiers sound alike?

• Yes

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 138 87.9%

• Total voters
It's an international hobby forum with professional participation, good discussion so far.
Find out for yourselves.

Null testing, bridge testing or SWDT will give you totally irrefutable answers without any test gear. All petty arguments are put to rest. BS doesn't fly in a null test.

Halfer on SWDT https://www.stereophile.com/content/manufacturers-comment-0.
Look up Carver and the TFM using bridge connected amplifiers.
I had thought about doing this with an X/Y display on a Tektronix 561 scope with identical deflection modules, but DH save me the trouble.
Look up listening evals on the XL amps that resulted from the project.
https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/hafler_xl-280_power_amplifier/index.html

Last edited:
...Look up listening evals on the XL amps that resulted from the project...

Yes, my link was from the manufacturer's comments part of that same review. I now it is old (1987) but nothing has really changed.

What is particularly noteworthy with the Hafler implementation is the 'real world' audible characterization of non-linearites. The amplifer/s are attached to the owner's speakers at a typical volume position and can play musical signals. There can really be no valid arguments that it is not representative.

What is particularly noteworthy with the Hafler implementation is the 'real world' audible characterization of non-linearites. The amplifer/s are attached to the owner's speakers at a typical volume position and can play musical signals. There can really be no valid arguments that it is not representative.

LOL mate! You'll confuse the juniors!! :rflmao::trebon: Friday here Saturday there. Have a brew on me!

upload_2018-11-16_20-40-58.png

I bring science into the perspective and tubes are shockingly different. Especially all the cussing if you fudged and shorted something and the same with SS. When you ain't got anything to listen to but a portable transistor radio? eventually that will sound great. however; if your ear bud dead?.. won't matter. :D
I didn't vote poll? because I find tubes a lot sexier! so not listed.

Last edited:
Yes, my link was from the manufacturer's comments part of that same review. I now it is old (1987) but nothing has really changed.

I was of course really interested in these developments, but iirc was committed to a Dave Belles amp at the time so never messed with one. My Muse amp is supposed to have local fb nested in with fairly modest global fb, dunno how that is technically done but the thing has an interesting dynamic "swagger" with a musically compelling involvement.
Another avenue is feed-forward error correction, something Walker at QUAD used in the 405. Also reputedly Nelson Pass in the Stasis line of amps.

The output waveform of every amplifier is different to some degree. One need only compare square wave response of different SS amplifiers to demonstrate that the output waveform of different amplifiers is not identical. Those waveforms will also have varying degrees of ringing.

SCAN0008.JPG

Find out for yourselves.

Null testing, bridge testing or SWDT will give you totally irrefutable answers without any test gear. All petty arguments are put to rest. BS doesn't fly in a null test.

Halfer on SWDT https://www.stereophile.com/content/manufacturers-comment-0.
Lookup Carver and the TFM using bridge connected amplifiers.
John - I was in my teens while Bob Carver and David Hafler were vying for position, so I'm not really all that familiar with this SWDT stuff. Although I read the article, I'm left with as many questions as it answered. Enlighten me a bit - fascinating stuff.

The output waveform of every amplifier is different to some degree. One need only compare square wave response of different SS amplifiers to demonstrate that the output waveform of different amplifiers is not identical. Those waveforms will also have varying degrees of ringing.

View attachment 1332458
Absolutely agree. Can you translate this into something the listener can identify? I'm asking as I'd like to know.

So, has there been an amp someone plugged in for the first time and was completely blown away by how different it sounded?

I've owned a Yamaha A-S801, Dynaco ST-70, and Parasound 2125 v2 - all within the last few years. They all sound, very, very nice. Maybe slightly different, but not in any major way. I've got the Parasound in rotation right now and it's jamming - but is it significantly different sounding than the Yamaha or Dynaco? Hmm.....to my old ears, no. They all sound terrific. Just not terrifically different. I doubt I could tell the difference between any of them in a blind test.

Anyway, just one guy's observation....

I was of course really interested in these developments, but iirc was committed to a Dave Belles amp at the time so never messed with one. My Muse amp is supposed to have local fb nested in with fairly modest global fb, dunno how that is technically done but the thing has an interesting dynamic "swagger" with a musically compelling involvement.
Another avenue is feed-forward error correction, something Walker at QUAD used in the 405. Also reputedly Nelson Pass in the Stasis line of amps.

The heart of two of my systems.

fd2aa93d76dcfeabaabf88eb455aceeb (2).jpg

Nice! What are the specs on that big-boy?

Only 100watts/channel but plenty of current, having two with very close serial #'s they were biamping my Infinitys. Now one is part of the living rm system driving my AR58s, while the other is still lifting the Infintys to new heights. The nudes are pretty impressive, caps the size of soda cans, the rest of the interior is stuffed with tranny lol.

Only 100watts/channel but plenty of current, having two with very close serial #'s they were biamping my Infinitys. Now one is part of the living rm system driving my AR58s, while the other is still lifting the Infintys to new heights. The nudes are pretty impressive, caps the size of soda cans, the rest of the interior is stuffed with tranny lol.

Nice. What is it about a big honking amp that's appealing? I've been perusing Parasound's website and looking at their big Halo A21+. It's their new big honking stereo amp. 500 watts into 4ohms would make my Cerwin Vega's bounce off the floor, LOL!

Oh I don't know perhaps 14 of us are correct, all SS amps sound the same?? And the rest of us are wrong??? I do recall way back when Bob Carver ... "pissed off a whole bunch of folks when he said he could make his amp (I can't recall which one) sound just like the "Top of the Line Amp" at the time and he did!!

If all SS amps sounded the same?? There would have been nothing to be achieved??? So point made as far as I'm concerned. Now weather I could discern a "difference" between Amp A and Amp B given a "neutral" pre amp and a know set of speakers?? I don't know??

I suppose if I were so inclined I could try and find out?? As I have enough "stuff" to do so? But hey I just don't care "Speakers are the end of the chain, in any case so I just roll with the obvious!

But I do luv those 300 lb Amps!!! Those ... have to sound good! :)

Back
Top Bottom