Large Advent Speakers

reynolds753

Just a man on a bicycle and a threat to no one
Second generation Large Advents with walnut veneer. Cabinets and grills are in decent shape. They have been refoamed. Original crossovers/caps. $160.00. Yes or no?

I picked up a pair of OLA's refoamed and recapped for $100. I've had them for a couple years. I just never really liked them. I tried. They seem to sound fine at higher volumes to me. The first couple watts, not so much. They aren't horrible sounding, just too layed back for my tastes. I'm recapping an integrated amplifier for a system I'm putting together for on of my sons. The OLA'S will be part of it.

If you pick them up, spend a few more bucks and recap the tweeter; it will take away some of the midrange harshness.

I just recapped a pair of OLA utility I had refoamed a while back. Honestly I thought they sounded very nice. Total price for the caps was about $3 for basic electrolytic.

Can be as fast as a 20-30 minute job start to listening again. Well worth the effort.

The NLA walnut are nice looking and have the ability to sound quite decent. If they look like the foam was done well and the cabs are in nice shape $160 is still an audio bargain from a listening point of view. It doesn't mean people don't find them cheaper or even free, it just means if you need a speaker to listen to and look at, the price is more than fair IMO.

I've seen them listed for that around here. They usually sit for a while. The 125$ ones are usually gone in a week.

A bird in the hand. The price is not outrageous - I have seen them with utility cabinets go for more. If they are in good shape and sound good, why not get them? You can always get your money back out of them if you change your mind.

I agree! I have a pair of NLA Bullnoses with Walnut veneer, and I’ve got them lined up for a $250 sale. Mind you, the Canadian dollar is quite a bit lower than US.

Back
Top Bottom