The Official 2018 AK Secret Santa exchange - Sign up by November 24th!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Count me in. Barring another major disaster I will be on time this year. My previous recipient and I were the SS for each other oddly so we were in close contact and no harm done.

Researching your recipient is a big part of the fun of this.

For me:
I wear XX shirts
I use Vinyl and all things Vinyl related (musical taste is wide, no metal or pop please)
I love esoteric, non audio is fine (got comics one year)
Suburban living so no need for an Axe or other woodsy things.

Last edited:
Only 8 days left to sign up counting today!
Happy Holidays,
Jim

I will guarantee no one will be exchanging with their Secret Santa this year, New formula in place approved by the staff at the North Pole to ensure lots of guessing who is your Secret Santa!
Regards,
Jim

New formula in place approved by the staff at the North Pole to ensure lots of guessing who is your Secret Santa!

I just blurt it out anyway, name on the box and AKA 4-2-7

A note inside, saying Merry Christmas Dan:)

I just blurt it out anyway, name on the box and AKA 4-2-7

A note inside, saying Merry Christmas Dan:)
Something to think about maybe?
https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/256321/jewish/Eight-Degrees-of-Giving.htm

"Level Three: The giver knows the recipient, but the recipient does not know the giver.

In this level of tzedakah — which is the converse of Level Four — the donor's ego has some room to express itself. Since the giver knows who is receiving his bounty, there is room for some sense of one-upmanship or dominance over the receiver. However, the beneficiary is unaware of who the donor is, and so his dignity is preserved.

(The fact that Level Three is higher than Level Four is proof of the Chassidic adage that we should take into account the other's benefit before considering the possible disadvantages to ourselves — in spiritual matters as well as material. While it is certainly important to avoid ego and arrogance wherever possible, it is more important to salvage the dignity of someone else.)

Only 7 days to sign up including today!
Regards,
Jim

Something to think about maybe?
https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/256321/jewish/Eight-Degrees-of-Giving.htm

"Level Three: The giver knows the recipient, but the recipient does not know the giver.

In this level of tzedakah — which is the converse of Level Four — the donor's ego has some room to express itself. Since the giver knows who is receiving his bounty, there is room for some sense of one-upmanship or dominance over the receiver. However, the beneficiary is unaware of who the donor is, and so his dignity is preserved.

(The fact that Level Three is higher than Level Four is proof of the Chassidic adage that we should take into account the other's benefit before considering the possible disadvantages to ourselves — in spiritual matters as well as material. While it is certainly important to avoid ego and arrogance wherever possible, it is more important to salvage the dignity of someone else.)
I don't see how charity and helping people that may be down on their luck, is the same as giving and exchanging gifts. Nobody is in need or looking for charity with giving and receiving Christmas gifts in this thread.

It should be far more enduring to make friendships with maybe people you don't know but get to know them with this giving. I know for myself I have made some good friends from this santa thread, members I did not know prior nor they I. However after the giving and interaction of getting to know someone they are friends. That should be the whole point of this, in fact it should be the point of being on the site in the first place.

My recipient might not know me or I them, but when this years santa giving is done I will know a lot more about them and they me. I can't give a gift without knowing the recipients likes and desires, that's the personal interaction of gift giving. Just giving or receiving something arbitrarily means nothing, but the thought and time put into it is everything.

Interesting posts 4-2-7 and dfunghi, but can we just keep this thread about folks signing up for SS as opposed to the philosophy of giving and receiving please?
Regards,
Jim

Interesting posts 4-2-7 and dfunghi, but can we just keep this thread about folks signing up for SS as opposed to the philosophy of giving and receiving please?
Regards,
Jim
Of course and my apologies Jim.

Correct - Just 5 days left after midnight tonight to get in!
A wonderful thanksgiving to everyone!
Regards,
Jim

Just 4 days left to sign up!
Happy Holidays,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom