Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

77051A5D-3034-42DD-9CA7-514021A5C028.jpeg 2DD7B52B-4C75-4E9C-AE76-156D01A3003E.jpeg
Picked up these Jamo 503’s yesterday at Savers for $15. I did not expect much but I am pleasantly surprised, sounds and looks a lot like B&O to me, looks like somebody recently refoamed them as well. Playing a little Secret Garden on them now!

Picked up a Henry Kloss Model 88 radio with remote yesterday for $2.00.

My son has already taken it and it is now hooked up in his room with his Echo Dot attached.

I guess it was a Henry Kloss weekend looking at the post above mine.

Not audio related, but found this Zero Halliburton briefcase at my clearance center yesterday. Someone had locked it with the lid open with a custom combination. After much hemming and hawing about it, I brought it home and disassembled the lock to find the right combination. It now locks like a charm, but I can't spin the combo dials unless I am in the mode to set the combination. I shall tinker with it some more, but in the meantime I have a nice new briefcase. I knew these were expensive, but I was surprised to find the new models go for 500-700. 3.50 for me :)

20181119_090557.jpg 20181119_090625.jpg 20181119_090637.jpg

IMG_20181119_123540.jpg IMG_20181119_123452.jpg It seems like I cannot walk past any decent quality mini/micro component without picking it up. Case in point is this Yamaha RX-E600, which is a half-size, surprisingly solid unit that is currently sounding sweet driving a set of Tannoy Mercury M2 speakers. Had never heard of this before, but it certainly compares favourably with similar units I have from Denon, Akai, etc.

View attachment 1334736 View attachment 1334737 It seems like I cannot walk past any decent quality mini/micro component without picking it up. Case in point is this Yamaha RX-E600, which is a half-size, surprisingly solid unit that is currently sounding sweet driving a set of Tannoy Mercury M2 speakers. Had never heard of this before, but it certainly compares favourably with similar units I have from Denon, Akai, etc.

Yamaha mini's are excellent. The speakers that come with those systems are outstanding and compare favorably with standalone speakers for build and sound quality. I have a pair of NX-E100 which have the same family sound as the great NS-690 and 670.

Yamaha mini's are excellent. The speakers that come with those systems are outstanding and compare favorably with standalone speakers for build and sound quality. I have a pair of NX-E100 which have the same family sound as the great NS-690 and 670.
Alas, someone else was walking away with the piano black speakers that went with this when I found it. Your information rubs salt in my wound. :-(

Nothing worse than seeing what you want under someone else's arm. Been there many times.
Yep. At a GW once, and there was an excellent condition, tested JBL subwoofer. They wanted like $10. As I walked up, some dude picked it up and stood there, thinking. I waited there for 15 minutes to see if he would leave it, and then he decided to take it. :(

Don't know how y'all do it. I've never seen any worthwhile electronics or media at any local thrift stores. They pile the stuff on the shelves like it was junk because it is junk.
No-name brand CD and DVD players, usually covered with something that looks the PO stuck their hands into a taco and then smeared all over the gear.

Don't know how y'all do it. I've never seen any worthwhile electronics or media at any local thrift stores. They pile the stuff on the shelves like it was junk because it is junk.
No-name brand CD and DVD players, usually covered with something that looks the PO stuck their hands into a taco and then smeared all over the gear.

That's how ours is most of the time too. It's a matter of experience, persistence, coupled with a metric Krappton of luck.

Back
Top Bottom