Vintage McIntosh Motherlode in Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.
The auction house knows exactly what they are doing. They will yield the greatest returns for their client. For those who bid you will likely have to bid on stuff you don’t really want just to complete a previous purchase won in another auction. The more bidders the higher the prices. I commend this type of auction for the seller. Not so much for the buyer. Good luck to all who bid.

Last edited:
All that gear hoarded and he didn't even have a working system? Thats called mental health issues.

A horde is a horde be it garbage or amps.

Sad to hear that he died before his time as from the comments I read he was a nice guy.

Too bad he didn't get the help he needed, but on the other hand, maybe he was enjoying the horde. In either case he's at peace now. I hope he has a nice big workbench up there!

All that gear hoarded and he didn't even have a working system? Thats called mental health issues.
Be very careful here, there may be a few of us that have hoards and nothing connected. Not me, I blew up my main rig (this means took it apart and moved the parts around, not electrical issues) for some changes a couple weeks ago and put a rig together with spare parts away from where I was working. Hoping I can get the power connections done today and finally have tunes on the main rig tonight. But I haven't been without because extras were used to connect. Hard to be in there cleaning and moving gear without tunes playing.

If you collect vintage toys and don't play with them are you mentally ill ?

If you collect cars and don't drive them are you mentally ill ?

Careful with the heavy judgement there...it's no one's business but his what he did with these. You can collect item "X" purely as a speculator without using the item for what ever it was intended to be used for. It's a damn shame (imho) but not a sign of illness.

Until your house is dangerously full of junk that is and you can't even move. Then...it crosses the line.

jblnut

Agreed.

I am no clinical psychologist, but it seems there is sufficient detail here that clearly shows this went well beyond "collector" status. When there is only one place to sit down within the primary home/dwelling, there are significant mental health issues. Many of us (including myself) have fairly large collections, but I am not aware of anyone that has allowed their collection to infringe upon their living space to the point that navigating through it would be considered a hazard. There are certainly those that collect for the shear pleasure of collecting and not using, but again, that is not in the same category of "hoarding".

In this case, it seems the end result with the auction house is the best scenario for the family. The cost to deal with this must be fairly significant and, at least, there is some value in this hoard that will help them cover expenses. Given the description, there are probably needed cleanup and repair expenses they incurred just to deal with the estate overall.

Last edited:
Well, Dazaa is right. Having a horde like that is a clear sign of mental health issues. No judgement. It simply is what it is. I don't care one way or the other what anyone chooses to do with their time and money. As long as it doesn't effect me, you can do whatever you want.

Be very careful here, there may be a few of us that have hoards and nothing connected. Not me, I blew up my main rig (this means took it apart and moved the parts around, not electrical issues) for some changes a couple weeks ago and put a rig together with spare parts away from where I was working. Hoping I can get the power connections done today and finally have tunes on the main rig tonight. But I haven't been without because extras were used to connect. Hard to be in there cleaning and moving gear without tunes playing.

Yeah, when I read that he only had one place to sit in the house, it went from collection to horde. As a contrast, look at the guy in Brazil that's collecting records. He has what can arguably be the largest if not THE largest collection of vinyl in the world. Why is it a collection? Because he is actively preserving and cataloging the millions of records he buys. When he dies, one can only imagine that the collection will live on after him as an archive.

The auction house knows exactly what they are doing.

You got that right. Putting the auction list up one month in advance - links to that website have probably circled the earth hundreds of times over. Should be quite the bidding frenzy.

You got that right. Putting the auction list up one month in advance - links to that website have probably circled the earth hundreds of times over. Should be quite the bidding frenzy.
And this is the reason I don't think contacting them to let them know that AK has a thread would make any difference at all. Most AKers will be out when the gear gets to half actual value, anyway. Remember, I was out at anything past opening bid.

If you have so much gear you can't move in your own house and nothing even connected(with no intention of) you need help, it's as simple as that.
I've got shipping containers full of gear, until a few months ago you could barely move in my living room which had stuff piled to the ceiling, loads of people called me a hoarder, the difference is I'm selling it all off and making an absolute killing doing so and in the long run i've got my final system planned for when i'm slightly older (i'm 23).

Another downside to this is when you die, what if nobody realises all that stuff you collected is actually worth anything and it all goes to landfill? I missed out in a similar scenario a few months back, someone stopped paying the rent on a storage unit and the entire contents went to the recyclers. It was clearly someones lifelong collection of high end stuff, just like this Macintosh load plenty of it was in need of restoration and hardly anything worked. It included Studer CD players, a few of the more obscure monster receivers, huge 60's Japanese speakers I've never seen anything about online, Pioneer HPM150's, Technics SB 7070'S and 7000's, in all I estimated about 15/20 grands worth of stuff. Someone spent all that time hoarding this stuff for what? It all got trashed by the time it was headed for landfill, most got sold on by someone else but it goes to show how silly this hoarding behaviour can be.

Oh no; I didn't know that Walt had died and I'm very sorry to hear this as I've kind of lost touch with him over the past couple years. To say he was eccentric is a huge understatement. A while back when I was looking for a 2nd MC2500 I asked him about one of his as he had 3 of them sitting in his living room unused. No dice though and he wouldn't part with one. Every time we chatted it was about an auction that he was going to or had recently been to or was returning from that day. He wasn't able to fix anything unless it was easy to get at fuse so my best friend Dave used to do a lot of his repairs. I also don't think he listened to music but he loved Mac gear or most any of the better vintage gear. One of my better dealings with him was for a showroom condition Soundscraftsmen 4002-5002 combo. Wow; I had no idea the extent of his collection. I wonder where the auction proceeds are going? Last I knew he wasn't married and I don't think he had any children either.

Gee I wonder why, sounds like an a**hole from your description, not willing to help anyone out and now look at what he's left his sister to have to deal with.

The guy your thinking of with wall full of mc30's is it ak member AJauwen? Seems he had the market cornered years back on them so much that he had replacement chassis's made for them. He used to post on audio asylum. I think the last mention of mc30's he had about 90 of them.
A pair would do me.

That's not fair and that's not the way I read Motorstereo's post..

Then read it again. Dude had 1000+ pieces of equipment, someone is intetrested in buying ONE PIECE and he says no. Sorry but I was raised to try to help people when i can. So I think that assessment is completely fair.

If you have so much gear you can't move in your own house and nothing even connected(with no intention of) you need help, it's as simple as that.
I've got shipping containers full of gear, until a few months ago you could barely move in my living room which had stuff piled to the ceiling, loads of people called me a hoarder, the difference is I'm selling it all off and making an absolute killing doing so and in the long run i've got my final system planned for when i'm slightly older (i'm 23).

Another downside to this is when you die, what if nobody realises all that stuff you collected is actually worth anything and it all goes to landfill? I missed out in a similar scenario a few months back, someone stopped paying the rent on a storage unit and the entire contents went to the recyclers. It was clearly someones lifelong collection of high end stuff, just like this Macintosh load plenty of it was in need of restoration and hardly anything worked. It included Studer CD players, a few of the more obscure monster receivers, huge 60's Japanese speakers I've never seen anything about online, Pioneer HPM150's, Technics SB 7070'S and 7000's, in all I estimated about 15/20 grands worth of stuff. Someone spent all that time hoarding this stuff for what? It all got trashed by the time it was headed for landfill, most got sold on by someone else but it goes to show how silly this hoarding behaviour can be.

PRECISELY. Spot on assessment.

Then read it again. Dude had 1000+ pieces of equipment, someone is intetrested in buying ONE PIECE and he says no. Sorry but I was raised to try to help people when i can. So I think that assessment is completely fair.

Well, you might be right. Maybe he was just a selfish jerk that wanted it all so no one else could have it. Or maybe he had some mental issues and was obsessively hoarding and couldn't bear the thought of letting any of it go. If he had OCD he couldn't really control himself, and it would be unfair to judge him for it.

If he wasn't obviously mentally ill it would be fair. That's like getting mad at someone with Alzheimer's because he forgot something. So no, that's not a fair assessment. If he was living in a nice house and had the stuff hidden away in a warehouse then you might have a point.

Gee I wonder why, sounds like an a**hole from your description, not willing to help anyone out and now look at what he's left his sister to have to deal with.
That ain't nice......just cuz someone doesn't want to sell me a piece of gear doesn't mean that at all. Hmmm; if I put chop sooie on ignore will he still be able to see my posts as he doesn't comprehend them at all. FWIW Walt was not an a-hole and may he rest in peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom