What is the best integrated amp you've heard?

When I was in the US military, stationed in Okinawa, Japan, in 1983, I bought a Luxman L-580. Best integrated solid-state amplifier I have ever heard. Still have it.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-L-58A.html

The above is the Japan-only version. The L-580 sold for US use had different script writing for "Luxman" and also had LED power meters.

I've got an L-480, it's quite nice.

My Pioneer A-71 (A-858) is my favorite integrated amp. Has a few cool functions such as the DSD setting for direct mode, good Phono stage, just a well made amp.

The Natioal Panasonic Integrated amps tend to have a nice sound. Have a SU3100 (I think that's the model), one of the best sounding vintage amps.

The Onix A-60 or A-120 (good luck tracking one down)... sold mine off a while back, never should have.. fantastic sound stage, simple and classy amp. :)

Not exactly esoteric, but my Technics SU-8080 & Technics SU-V85 are the best I’ve heard & made me appreciate SS again.

Tonight I tested the phono section for the first time. I had basically given up on vinyl because streaming is much more convenient and I just wasn't satisfied with the phono preamps I had tested.

The phono section of the SU-8080 is by far the BEST I've ever heard. A close rival would be the Bottlehead Seduction (tube), but that one never produced the bass I thought it should.
The SU-8080's frequency response is wonderful across the range. Great bass, warm mids, but still detailed and airy sounding. Superb separation and instrument placement (soundstage?)
I think I'll have to start buying vinyl again.

Last edited:
Just like a weary angler. You started off with the big rigs. Stiff rods, hefty reels and heavy lines.
Then you progressively watered things down just to get more out of less. Light lines loaded on wee reel's spool. :biggrin:

TL, DR. I ditched the big pre/power stuffs, and settled with sprightly but abled integrateds. It is more fun that way...

My own Top of the Pops :

1. Audio Note SE series (Sublime...sublime...)
2. Anthem 225i (VFM. Neutral, warmish but is still no slouch for some rocking times)
3. Bryston B60 (VFM. Crystal clear, punchy, loadsa PRAT)
4. Rega Brio R (The legend)
5. NAD 316BEE (The best little amp I've listened for beer money. A no brainer)

Probably my own Yamaha DSP-A2070. It's seventy watts (two channel) backed up by a HUGE power supply.

EDIT: I swapped the Yammie off the other day for a Superphon pre. That leaves me back with the Arcam Delta 60 as my fav integrated...WHEN IT WORKS. A common problem with that amp - the volume pot goes bad, so I'm currently using it for a phono preamp.

Last edited:
Best I've owned is my Oldchen KT88-K3.... Best I've heard was a Cayin though can't remember the model.

That said some of the old Rotel amps from the 60's are really sweet sounding little amps. Good enough for the gym or back shed

I was thinking about this thread yesterday and I realized that all of my integrated amps sound pretty nice. I have a Pioneer SA7700, Sony TA F3A, Kenwood KA 3500 and a Fisher CA 800 in addition to the Marantz 1060.

My Vincent SV-237 is by far the best integrated I’ve heard. I don’t have any experience with any other new amps, but it is way better than any of my vintage amps or receivers I have or had.

After 35+ years of trying out various IAs (as well as receivers and separates), I still prefer, overall, the "sound" of my mid 1980s McIntosh MA-6200. Solid state.

I have been using various makes/years of British (only) speakers since the late 1970ss, and for whatever reason, nothing has managed to sound as good comin' outta those fellas as that ol' 6200. My second favourite: an even older MA-6100. Solid state.

I've been through the (audio) tube pream-amp thing and back, always retuen to SS and to the two 80s Macs in particular.

Now, when it comes to my getar amplification, my favourites are all tube through 'n' through, no tube-SS hybrids nor, w/ the exception of the occasional use of an older Roland 60w (all SS) "Chorus" model, nuthin' but all-tube amps, whether head + (speaker) cab or combo arrangements.

My Vincent SV-237 is by far the best integrated I’ve heard. I don’t have any experience with any other new amps, but it is way better than any of my vintage amps or receivers I have or had.

Got The SV-236, and agree that Vincent make good amps. The SV-236 sounded the best to me when I auditioned it against amps from Audiolab (8200A), Roksan and Anthem back in 2012. The tube pre and solid state power amps seem to work well together.

Also have a soft spot for the original Cyrus One from the mid 80s, only 25 watts per channel, but mine still sounds great with a good pair of bookshelf speakers.

Last edited:
Back when I first got into audio forty years ago I started out with a little Yamaha integrated and I've always had soft spot for them even though my main systems are all separates nowadays.

I'm wondering what integrateds members have owned or heard that really stood out from the crowd for them. What made that particular unit special? For me designs with excellent phono stages go to the head of the line. All varieties, ages and output welcome.

Back when I first got into audio forty years ago I started out with a little Yamaha integrated and I've always had soft spot for them even though my main systems are all separates nowadays.

I'm wondering what integrateds members have owned or heard that really stood out from the crowd for them. What made that particular unit special? For me designs with excellent phono stages go to the head of the line. All varieties, ages and output welcome.
Dussun V8i

Wow! a lot of beautiful amps you guys have!

I don't have a lot of experience with integrated amps but I do have two I really like.

I have a Marantz PM11.S2 and a Primare A30.1. I prefer the Marantz a bit over the Primare. I would love to hear other integrateds to see how they really compare.

The best I've heard in my system is the JVC AX-Z1010TN, which I've had for about 3 and-a-half years now. It makes very nice sounds with KEF LS50s.

I haven't had many amps like a lot of people here though.

I’ve really liked the following;

Still Have:
Sansui AU-9900
McIntosh MA-6200 - leestereoified

Once Had:
Sansui AU-5500
Kenwood Supreme 500
Kenwood Supreme 600
Sansui AU-D9
Pioneer SA-9500
Kenwood KA-5500
Kenwood KA-5700
Kenwood KA-2002 surprising capable and good sounding little amp

There are others, but these stand out in my memories, especially the Kenwood Supremes. I was temporarily insane when I let them both go.

Well, I have a new favorite now. Picked up a Sansui AU-719 needing repair. After I repaired it I replaced all the electrolytic caps in it except for the filters. It sounded good. Then I replaced the filter caps, and wow, now it's one of the best integrated amps I've ever heard.

The old filter caps were tired. 3 measured 30% low, one measured 10% low. I think this imbalance is why it didn't sound as good as it did after recapping the filters. It's a dual mono design, and one side had imbalanced filtering. The imaging really came out after replacing the filters.

Well, I have a new favorite now. Picked up a Sansui AU-719 needing repair. After I repaired it I replaced all the electrolytic caps in it except for the filters. It sounded good. Then I replaced the filter caps, and wow, now it's one of the best integrated amps I've ever heard.

The old filter caps were tired. 3 measured 30% low, one measured 10% low. I think this imbalance is why it didn't sound as good as it did after recapping the filters. It's a dual mono design, and one side had imbalanced filtering. The imaging really came out after replacing the filters.

Ray, what kind of caps did you use? I am thinking of replacing the filter caps on my Cyrus PSX unit after having recapped the preamp section of the Cyrus 2 (they go together). The sound just isn't right yet.

Back
Top Bottom