What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Listening to various classical music on KXPR 88.1 FM out of Cal State Sacramento Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 9.22.47 AM.png
on the newest, cutest little toy.pioneer sx 424.JPG
For $20 I couldn't go wrong. Near perfect condition SX-424 we spent last night cleaning up and oiling.
For only a 2 gang tuner an a whopping 12 watts of cap-coupled power, it's been running all night and sounds pretty good.
Its going to be n bedroom service once she passes sea trials.

So I was able to get the 4301B's out of the closet last night, pull the 1st crossover out, and started to do the work.... I got home late so I was not able to do a lot of work on them, but got some progress done.

I have to say, the 4301B crossover board is quite small compared to the L19's, No wonder why JBL crammed everything on the board like they did. So far I've de-soldered everything and installed the new 5ohm resistor on the other side of the connecting strip. That saved me a little room. Got all the old adhesive off the board, started prepping the inductors. Charged the new hot glue gun, will be able to build the new set of all Jantzen caps for the hi-pass today.

One issue I found was that the 15uf cap is to large to properly mount. I may end up just going with lower values ran in parallel to save space. Trying to figure that out now...
IMG_0362.jpg
If I do that that, I also have to order more of the AudioCap caps...

Listening to various classical music on KXPR 88.1 FM out of Cal State Sacramento View attachment 1335401
on the newest, cutest little toy.View attachment 1335402
For $20 I couldn't go wrong. Near perfect condition SX-424 we spent last night cleaning up and oiling.
For only a 2 gang tuner an a whopping 12 watts of cap-coupled power, it's been running all night and sounds pretty good.
Its going to be n bedroom service once she passes sea trials.

+1 for revitalizing vintage gear

So I was able to get the 4301B's out of the closet last night, pull the 1st crossover out, and started to do the work.... I got home late so I was not able to do a lot of work on them, but got some progress done.

I have to say, the 4301B crossover board is quite small compared to the L19's, No wonder why JBL crammed everything on the board like they did. So far I've de-soldered everything and installed the new 5ohm resistor on the other side of the connecting strip. That saved me a little room. Got all the old adhesive off the board, started prepping the inductors. Charged the new hot glue gun, will be able to build the new set of all Jantzen caps for the hi-pass today.

One issue I found was that the 15uf cap is to large to properly mount. I may end up just going with lower values ran in parallel to save space. Trying to figure that out now...
View attachment 1335390
If I do that that, I also have to order more of the AudioCap caps...
You'll figure it out JoB!! I had to get creative too plumbing all the new stuff on the Infinity boards and almost fabricated something new for them.
xo final.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Machinations - Big Music (Epic, 1986)

testing out a cool old unit, a Lafayette LR-910 from '74. First fire-up in a long time. To be fair, only using it as an input selector, tuner, and phono stage via its tape-outs, with a passive pre and Elan Z-660 bridged for 120wpc.

Funny, Craigslist fodder can sound great with a quality source.

Is anybody here still an FM fan and know a little about tuners?
I've always liked a good FM sound (before compressed signal) and there are still a few good stations worth hearing these days.
Plus, there are FM transmitters now which can send a decent signal from 1/8" stereo pinned source to an empty FM bandwidth.
I am interested in getting one of these Kenwood tuners from the early 70's to match the KA-6004 amp I have quickly grown to like.
kenwood-kt6005-analog-tuner.jpg
From what I understand, Kenwood started out way back when doing shortwave and HAM tuners and transmitters so many of the older Kenny tuners are pretty good.
Any experience here with older 70's Kenwood tuners?

Back
Top Bottom