Carver C-9 Upgrade?

Yes, the polar cap thing is regarded as relevant to the C9 and is standard practice when restoring one of these. Sellers on that auction site have been moving those kits for years, so best I can say, check the rating and go from there. It does save some digging around to get what you need.

Now, if you REALLY really want to upgrade your C9 ... get an H9AV ... <G>

Seriously, I did that a bit back and the C9 is now collecting dust. I also upgraded some of the original op amps in the H9AV with OPA627 browndogs and replaced the others with "silver back" and "red stripe" TI versions that are much better than the original Malaysian chips, as well as adding some bypassing that had been overlooked in the original design. Upgrading the transformer on both these and the C9 are also considered a big plus, but I haven't done that as I have no hum or noise at this point.

Would the C9 sound as good (or better) than the H9AV if I did the same mods? Dunno ... ran out of chips. <G>

BTW ... you DO know the original post here was six years ago? <G>

Just looked up the H9AV on Google. Looks like it has a little adjustability that the C9 lacks. Also looks like it has two different mono outputs for a center channel, obviously. I also did a search for the H9AV on "that auction site", and it pulled up nothing but a bunch of Casio watches, some kind of pump, and a single car wheel.

As a side note, I'd be happy to dust off that C9... :naughty:

Can't imagine living without holography here, so if nothing else, it's good insurance ...

And yes ... the center out was another deciding factor on the swap. I use the L+R output to drive a nice little Eico HF12a mono tube amp to add a center channel to my classic quad system. The L-R is typically used to drive a sub, but I got some great honking big box speakers here ... don' need no steenkeeng sub, eh ...

Well I went ahead and bit... Got one of the C-9's on "that site". The thing looks brand new and is said to work like new as well.

p2188569727-5.jpg

p2188569726-5.jpg

Did we mention the incredibly small sweet spot? You'll need to modify your listening chair as well ...

listening-chair.jpg

Oh, yah ... :D

Seriously though, it will take a bit of work to get things "right", but it's well worth the effort. Find and download a copy of the original manual if you haven't already done so and read up on room prep and speaker placement for optimal results.

I need one of those chairs for my girlfriend. Haha

It seems that my system (speaker and listening position) is pretty close to what it recommended already. And I downloaded the manual shortly after I bought the C-9. I have room to tweak though if need be.

If the C-9 works out, I plan on doing some upgrades to it including the Gundry mod.

Got all the discussion points but what this thread needs is a replacement parts list (including Opamps etc) so people can try for themselves. Will see if I can scartch one out of a service manual if I can find one on the Carver site...
Will post if I can and do a little write-up or YouTube video on how it is done followed by my impressions.
I especially like the Pioneer component replacement lists that are promulgated here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-recap-lists-sticky-suggestion.457663/

Would be nice to see something like that for Bob's (Carver) list of hardware. For me it would simply be a maintenance/longevity issue for the C-9 that I still like to play with from time to time. It is the only Carver unit I have left after years of owning carver stuff. I am still a Pioneer Silver Series and Quad guy these days but my C-9 will remain in play for a long time to come...

Cap list from the service manual:

Carver_C-9_Cap_List.jpg

Opamp List from the service manual:

Carver_C-9_Opamp_List.jpg

Will go to Digi-key and order some reasonable caps etc and post what I get. Note that I don't use any of the US Parts sites because their shipping prices to Canada are always retarded!

Got all the discussion points but what this thread needs is a replacement parts list (including Opamps etc) so people can try for themselves.

The only problem here is there are quite a lot of people getting paid off using the "replacement parts lists" that other people provide. Case in point, I just saw an amplifier on eBay with the shitiest "restoration" job I have ever seen. And they even posted internal pictures so you can see how bad they are. Their "restorations" are based on parts lists that I have generated.

It also takes considerable time to make these lists, as well as the fact they are "dynamic". What this means is, when you paste your list into Mouser, Digikey etc. quite often the parts are not in stock, and you have to go and find a replacement.

Lee.

The only problem here is there are quite a lot of people getting paid off using the "replacement parts lists" that other people provide. Case in point, I just saw an amplifier on eBay with the shitiest "restoration" job I have ever seen. And they even posted internal pictures so you can see how bad they are. Their "restorations" are based on parts lists that I have generated.

It also takes considerable time to make these lists, as well as the fact they are "dynamic". What this means is, when you paste your list into Mouser, Digikey etc. quite often the parts are not in stock, and you have to go and find a replacement.

Lee.
Agree in some respects but for me it is always good to just having a starting point with even an imperfect list. Invariably OEM lists are both un-achievable unavailable all these many years later. From there it is usually a compromise of cost and luck to get a good combination of replacement components. I am never fixated on brands and generally just go by the called for specs/tolerances of the components which is what I am really after. Whether I end up with plain ole cap brands or exotic fancy name brand and well dressed caps etc doesn't mean as much to me. Once I get my Digi-key list (mouser etc shipping rates for me are not good) cobbled together and ordered I will post what I got and then let folks know how it worked out once I have installed them. Took me mere moments to post the list above and likewise for what I will order. I like that the Pioneer lists all point to other threads like this that talk about what worked and what didn't. For me it is about sharing what I find out like a team player vs not keeping successes and failures a secret. Of course all these "lists" are use at your own risk as one persons "Eureka" is another persons "yuck" moment when it comes to preferences and opinions...

Will share what I find out is all I can really say...

Last edited:
For me it is about sharing what I find out like a team player vs not keeping successes and failures a secret.

Being a team player has nothing to do with it. Check some of the threads I've started, I have given out plenty of information on how to work on this equipment. But like others, I get little wary now about posting cap lists, and sometimes even pictures. You may well change your opinion if you do enough of this work, and see other people using your resources (and even your name) to help sell their stuff. Nobody said this hobby is going to make you a millionaire. But I did the stay-at-home dad thing for a lot of years, and restoring this equipment gave me money in my pocket and the satisfaction that I had earned it myself.

If you would like to PM me your email address, I can send you the list of caps I used. There are only 10 of them though, and 5 op-amps that you may or may not want to replace (I did).

Lee.

Thank you Lee - finally got around to doing the deed and the more I listen to it I have to say it was completely worth it:

TMF

Back
Top Bottom