New BIG JBLs followed me home tonight, ...

I think that I would first try to swap the positions of the woofer and radiator. The woofer will go much higher than the radiator and, I would think, better integrate with midrange being that much closer together at the crossover point.

I think that I would first try to swap the positions of the woofer and radiator. The woofer will go much higher than the radiator and, I would think, better integrate with midrange being that much closer together at the crossover point.

In theory I agree, and seeing as my Brother isn't visiting this weekend, ... no speaker designer input, so I'm going to try it to see what I think. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wrong crossover as the LX13 is used for a LE15A/ 2215A---800Hz
A ---LX80 was used for124A /136A/ 2231/ 2235H---800Hz
Also moving the 2235H below the mid and tweeter will help the soundstage but also get you a midbass rise

I like the 800hz of the LX13, 7k or 8k will work for the HF, but I'm not a dial turner, it might make more sense to design a fixed 3-way crossover as I see the asking prices for the N7000/N8000.

Unless they are the size of a Paragon or Hartsfield I would not classify them as big. Even a 4435 is only medium size. Unless they weigh more than I do, they are medium size. 200 lbs ++.

I’d be tempted to set them up with the Sony electronics as the original owner did ... man that stuff is nice.

The Sony integrated and the narrow-footprint Sony amp are cleaned and adjusted, sound very nice, as is the crossover. The three power amps however all seem to need some service, (noise etc.) so they'll cross the bench for restoration before I try anything. The risk of damaging a driver if something goes awry is too great.

I probably will get to setting them all up with the big JBLs eventually but right now I'm playing with a "new" pair of 240Ti that I haven't been able to play since I bought them (been out of town all week), deciding whether they're keepers. Seem like pretty small cabinets for 14" drivers.

Attachments

• JBL L40T.jpg
    JBL L40T.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 21
LOL...never heard a 240Ti cabinet called small before. It has the same internal volume for the LE14H1 that the bigger 250Ti does. I got a set for a friend 10 years ago and he refuses to part with them. What are you driving them with?

jblnut

Back
Top Bottom