Schiit Vidar vs Optoma NuForce STA200 vs (used/like new) Vincent SP-331

brad1138

I am selling my Mark Levinson 331 :(

I am looking for an amp to replace it with, and have found these 3 in the price range I am looking at, all under $700.

I Have a Schiit Freya preamp, and Tekton Lore-S speakers.

Any thoughts on which is the "better" amp. The speakers are very efficient, and very detailed/revealing.

PMBHO4qh.jpg

Last edited:
After reading all the fantastic reviews of the NuForce, I went ahead an bought one from Audio Advisor, for $500. Partially because they were on close out and I didn't know when they would run out and/or become not available.

An hour after that, they changed the listing to "Demo" for $400. Looks like I might have gotten the last one NIB... :)

I think I will probably pick up the Vincent tomorrow as well, and keep whichever one I like most, or possibly both.

I am VERY interested in the NuForce STA-200 as well. I have come so close to buying it several times but have held back. I have a thread on it somewhere. I am also looking at Audio By Van Alstine.

Sorry to hear you have to let go of the Levinson. The Vidar would ensure synergy with your other Schiit components. However, that NuForce is solid from what I've heard and designed by Goldmund.

Oh by the way. I have heard the Vidar at RMAF. It was okay. It really didn't wow me though. It's not bad by any means, it sounded pretty nice with the Salk speakers but nothing special. And I am a big fan of Schiit products so really wanted to like it.

@brad1138 I forgot to comment on the Vincent. I owned a pair of Vincent monoblocks and one of their preamps several years ago. One of the worst audio purchases I have ever made. If you want more details shoot me a PM.

I bought one of Audio Advisor's demo STA units this week. I'm running pre out of a Rotel RA 1062 integrated and into B&W 603 S3's. I like the sound very much. Nice bass control. Eider soundstage, more interior detail and resolution. But I'm running into a sibilance issue. I use a Bifrost Uber to stream and I'm wondering if there is an issue. This weekend I'm going to bypass the Bifrost and run the NAD CD player direct to the pre and see if it eliminates the problem. I don't hear it streaming from the net through the Schiit only the NASD. Interesting. Anyway, that aside I like the sound very much. Full, warm, and detailed.

@brad1138 I forgot to comment on the Vincent. I owned a pair of Vincent monoblocks and one of their preamps several years ago. One of the worst audio purchases I have ever made. If you want more details shoot me a PM.
Thanks, I bought the Vincent, and sold it within a week, didn't do it for me. The NuForce sounded GREAT, I also picked up a used, in mint condition, Proceed BPA2, for $700 shipped, which was even better for this setup. I kept the Nuforce for my 3rd system.

Last edited:
I know you asked about three specific amps, but from everything I have read and heard, Frank over at AVA makes some very special and coveted stuff in the hi-fi world. Stuff that competes with 2-5 times the price of his gear.

Here is the amp I am considering for $899. I would take that over the Vidar in a heartbeat.

https://avahifi.com/collections/solid-state-power-amplifiers/products/vision-set-120-power-amplifier

Looks very nice, but I have found what works for me, finally done buying/selling (at least for now). :)

Thanks, I bought the Vincent, and sold it within a week, didn't do it for me. The NuForce sounded GREAT, I also picked up a used, in mint condition, Proceed BPA2, for $700 shipped, which was even better for this setup. I kept the Nuforce for my 3rd system.

I am so VERY close to pulling the trigger on the STA-200. I wonder how much better it will be over my current TPA Chip amp.

Looks very nice, but I have found what works for me, finally done buying/selling (at least for now). :)

And I want to get to that point myself. Be done with this buying and selling. I want at least a 5-10 year fix. Have the speakers I want. Just really looking for a good but reasonably priced pre and amp. This STA-200 looks to fit that criteria.

I am so VERY close to pulling the trigger on the STA-200. I wonder how much better it will be over my current TPA Chip amp.
I can't comment vs the "TPA" amp, but the Nuforce certainly is a great amp. I almost always buy used, so I can turn around and sell it for what I paid for it if I don't like it. Not sure what the return policy is on the NuForce, and it would be impossible to sell for $500 used, being as Audio Advisor has them used/demo for $400....

I'd say go for it though! :)

Last edited:
I can't comment vs the "TPA" amp, but the Nuforce certainly is a great amp. I almost always buy used, so I can turn around and sell it for what I paid for it if I don't like it. Not sure what the return policy is on the NuForce, and it would be impossible to sell for $500 used, being as Audio Advisor has them used/demo for $400....

I'd say go for it though! :)

Yeah. It’s a tough choice. I am looking into 3 different options. Also looking into a Musical Paradise MP301MK3 tube amp.

The Nu Force STA200 is a really nice sounding amp especially for the money. So much so that I bought a second one, that is still in its box unopened.
For the money I don't think you can really go wrong. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom