Net Streams vs. CD's

My CD player has been colleting dust under the couch since ... years now.
Every once in a while I'll pull it out, put in a CD and think: "Why am I doing this?"

I will however record playlists from streaming on my reel to reel.

My little Sony Blue-Ray player sounds pretty darned good playing my CD's. Now that I have a decent amp integrated amp, with an ok, but older DAC, I may look in to learning more about the DAC's of these players. I do tend to like the DAC of the CD players in my cars better than streaming from my phone via bluetooth connection. Built in, or added on through a 3.5 input.

They thrash my little Sony BluRay player.

Even though I still find my SMSL M8A (cheap DAC) a little on the bright clinical side, IMO it sounds noticeably better than the DAC in my fairly decent ( :dunno: ) Pioneer DV-45a when using the Pioneer as a transport. I have the SMSL for streaming.

Even though I still find my SMSL M8A (cheap DAC) a little on the bright clinical side, IMO it sounds noticeably better than the DAC in my fairly decent ( :dunno: ) Pioneer DV-45a when using the Pioneer as a transport. I have the SMSL for streaming.

The Sony's also stomp on my Pioneer Elite. Currently at work, will have to wait for the Pioneer's model number.

The Sony's also stomp on my Pioneer Elite. Currently at work, will have to wait for the Pioneer's model number.

Yeah, I am much happier with it as just a transport. Its a moot point as the CD's are out the door once again.

cpt paranoia and Dave seem to have a serious issue with lossless.

With compression algorithms, or the AK user...?

For the compression technology: I'm not a 'golden ears', but I can hear the difference between high quality MP3 and FLAC encoded CDs, and I'd always prefer lossless for quality listening. I have a mirrored copy of all my lossless FLACs, encoded to MP3 using LAME, used for portable music playback. So I'm not dead set against lossy compression.

For the user: I'm happy to spend time discussing and explaining stuff to people, but not to those who are trolling to waste my time.

Not really a 'serious issue' in either case, merely a personal preference.

cpt paranoia and Dave seem to have a serious issue with lossless.
Yeah, I do -- to the extent that I take any hobby "seriously", and I consider audio a hobby, not a necessity.

But it bothers me that despite ever-increasing network bandwidth and disk space, lossy compression is considered acceptable when lossless compression is reasonable, feasible, more desirable, and inherently better quality. Perhaps I can't hear the difference, but it's important to me that what I'm hearing is not unnecessarily degraded, whether I can hear it or not.

I think that’s the issue with the old ears that dominate this site, they can’t hear ;)

Yeah, I do -- to the extent that I take any hobby "seriously", and I consider audio a hobby, not a necessity.

But it bothers me that despite ever-increasing network bandwidth and disk space, lossy compression is considered acceptable when lossless compression is reasonable, feasible, more desirable, and inherently better quality. Perhaps I can't hear the difference, but it's important to me that what I'm hearing is not unnecessarily degraded, whether I can hear it or not.
It looked like Lossless tried to give you a peaceful debate win but you and cpt continued on. I don’t think Lossless was the one trolling, IMO.

It looked like Lossless tried to give you a peaceful debate win but you and cpt continued on. I don’t think Lossless was the one trolling, IMO.
I'm sure we would have left it at post #62, but Lossless appeared to be soliciting responses in posts #63, #67, and #69.

Post #73 recognised he was trolling, and Lossless himself appears to agree in post #74 and pretty much confirms it in post #76.

I wasn't trolling, and it doesn't appear cpt_paranoia was either. My goal was to inform, not incite. Per post #87, that would appear to have been cpt_paranoia's intent too.

I'm sure we would have left it at post #62, but Lossless appeared to be soliciting responses in posts #63, #67, and #69.

Post #73 recognised he was trolling, and Lossless himself appears to agree in post #74 and pretty much confirms it in post #76.

I wasn't trolling, and it doesn't appear cpt_paranoia was either. My goal was to inform, not incite. Per post #87, that would appear to have been cpt_paranoia's intent too.
I don’t want to argue about what he or she posted. I’m just commenting on what was posted.

It looked to me like MQA shilling from the get go.
Maybe I should have not said the service providers name but shilling,” promoting a business for profit ”,is not what this thread was intended. It turned into more than MQA is not lossless debate. Off topic tiers are this and almost lossless is like almost pregnant. With a name like, lossless you should know what it is and other comments made by Dave.That sounded like trolling to me with the intent of provoking me. I tried to end it peacefully saying “you win”,but some people wish to sow discord by posting extraneous off topic post in an attempt to get an emotional response.:mad:

Last edited:
Maybe I should have not said the service providers name but shilling,” promoting a business for profit ”,is not what this thread was intended. It turned into an all out MQA is not lossless argument. Tiers are this and almost lossless is like almost pregnant. With a name like, lossless you should know what it is and other comments made by Dave.That sounded like a trolling to me with the intent of provoking me. I tried to end it but some people just like to sow discord by posting extraneous off topic post in an attempt to get an emotional response.:mad:
We weren't posting to try get an emotional response. That would indeed be trolling, which is not what we were doing. We were posting to correct factual (and, sadly, quite common) errors and misconceptions about MQA.

If you took it personally, I apologise. That was certainly not my intent!

In regards to needing to “chill out”
becasue I’m a enthusiastic new member, Is there a limit on how many post or questions new members can ask?

Finally, In regards to my Fisher RS-Z1, I’m proud of my newfound piece of equipment and many members have never heard about or seen one so I like to show it off.

Reread what I posted, I said "you really need to chill out in this thread", with regards to questioning long standing members who were only sharing their knowledge trying to help out, clarify and explain when you posted this and then saying they're nitpicking & then call him a troll.

Ummmm, those that you linked to have low 500kbs streaming rate and that’s what you considered lossless?

As for your Sanyo, there's nothing wrong with being excited about or proud of a new piece of gear but, and this is just a suggestion, there's no need to keep posting about it. Showing off is cool, to an extent, after awhile it get's tedious and screams "I crave attention". Why you posted about it in the "Tube" forum still has me shaking my head.

Back
Top Bottom