AP-1800 restore

noknokman

It's a job I've been avoiding for oh, say, 10 years...but my Heathkit AP-1800 was finally just about impossible to live with. Working on the preamp didn't scare me as much as disconnecting it. It's the central nervous system of a vast number of components. I think there are 12 or so pairs of inputs and outputs connected.
The preamp constantly cut out one or both channels of every source. The mode switch, input switch, output switch and volume control all needed cleaning. I figured if I was going in, I might as well be as thorough as possible. I built the preamp about thirty years ago and once I got the unit apart, that interval became sadly apparent. I can't SEE anymore! I used to be able to read the part number off a crystal diode in half-darkness. No more. My kitchen was lit up like an operating room and I was wearing magnifying glasses and a head-mounted flashlight. It was barely enough.
The input switch and mode switch are both rotary-to-linear operated and have 56 pins soldered into the control circuit boards. Five feet of solder wick later, I had them both out. I opened them up and cleaned the wipers and contacts with deOxIt and a pencil eraser. I used deOxIt gold afterwards, reassembled and then moved to the volume control. I took that apart and used the same procedure to clean. Shot the rest of the controls without disassembling and then put the unit back together.
After hooking all the components back up, I tried the turntable. No left channel! BUT, the phono input worked if I had the cd player on. WTH? I suspected a solder bridge. Never really had to deal with one, but like I said, I can't see anymore. I finally found that I did have a bridge, scraped it out and reassembled once again. I swear this thing sounds like new again. I put together an AA-1800 at the same time I built the preamp. I love the old equipment and I look forward to another thirty years (by which time I'll be pushing 90) of good listening.

I have one that badly needs to be cleaned

Will be following your thread

:yes:

Ap 1800

The main problem I had with mine was the RCA jacks. When you move the cables the sound cuts out , sometimes only one channel at a time.
The fix was to solder the RCA jacks two pieces together inside the pre.
If you look at the construction of the jacks there are two pieces , the connector tab and the shell. They look crimped together and the only way to make sure there is a good connection is to get in there with a soldering iron , very carefully . and solder the two pieces together. This cures the cutting out of the sound. I had to heat the jack pretty well to get the solder to flow into the halves , but I fixed the cutting out. Just be careful not to short the jack with solder.
All the jacks used on Heathkit equipment at that time were the same construction so try this on the tuner and amps too.
I am going to recap the pre with new caps for the audio path soon too.
Hope this helps

Edlipman,
How were the switches on your unit? I haven't had a problem at all with the rca jacks on mine, but it's seldom that I plug/unplug anything from the preamp.

It's a pleasure to have this thing working well again. I have a moving coil cartridge hooked up to it and I don't have anything to compare it to, but I believe you couldn't do much better than the AP-1800 MC preamp section. It's by far my favorite source for music.

I am having issues with intermittent sound cut out or very low on either channel on my ap 1800. One channel seems to stay on better. I checked the rca jacks and wiggled the cables and that doesn’t seem to be the source of the issue. If I tapped the board on front top side of the preamp, the sound will sometimes come back but won’t stay long. I deposited all the pots, but still have the issue. Must be a loose contact somewhere, but can’t locate it.

Any thoughts on where I should check next? Thanks

Top Heathkit stuff!

This reads like a bad solder joint. I use a dry, wood chopstick to prod and pinpoint problems like this. Cheap gear downstream or test bench is advised.
Another problem that the stick found was transistors with intermittent internal contact.

Wow, didn't expect you to respond so quickly! I fixed the issue before seeing your post. Yes, it is a bad solder joint for the relay part. The joint look nothing wrong, but when I touched the part, the sound begin to pop on or off. So I resoldered them and the issue seems to be gone for now! I'll keep on my work bench for a few days to make sure it is completely fixed before putting it back to work.

Again, really appreciate your quick response!

BTW, is there an electronic copy of user's manual somewhere?

Good to hear that it's back in health:thumbsup:

You can find the schematic here for the AP. I've never found anything floating around for the AA-1800.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/heathkit/ap-1800.shtml

This site claims to have both full manuals. They have popped up on the auction site and I've always managed to miss them.
https://www.manualman.com/index.cfm...255&v_manufacturer_name=HEATHKIT&isManual=Yes

It didn't last long...:) The problem remains, but I fixed it again. Well, sort of...

After resoldering a couple of times, I think the relay itself is bad. With the help of my brother, we figured out that this relay is really a protection circuit and the amp should work without it, just not too safe for the power amp. So I took it out and amp plays loud and clear...

Will try to find a new part and put it back on later...

Back
Top Bottom