Point me to something different....

My mainstay was "classic rock" but tired of it and started listening to stuff I used to pooh-pooh decades ago. Got kind of interested in singer/songwriters so folk genres & country genres were added to the menu.

I found listening to stuff I didn't think I liked was a good diversion. Even developed a tollerance for Tennessee Ernie Ford.

There sure are lots of recordings out there I've never heard before. I figure that someone must have liked them otherwise those recordings wouldn't exist so why not listen to some?

I mostly listen to classical and opera, but I occasionally find quality music in other genre. Regarding Tennessee Ernie Ford - this man could sing. For example:

Of course he could sing. The question is, do you like what he sang. For me the answer is no.

As I said earlier, music is deeply personal, and it's impossible to predict what someone else will like. This is the only song by Tennessee Ernie Ford that I like, but it illustrates that it is possible for me to like music from genres that are quite different from the classical music I normally listen to.

What can be useful IME is someone citing music they like, and asking for recommendations of similar music.

If the OP asks for examples from various classical subgenre, I (and other AK members) could post some snippets from youtube. That could become an iterative process, as the OP likes or dislikes various suggestions. Same for other genre.

Well, what about spreading your wings, and going into past music genres of the 18th/19 centuries, delving into some that you haven't considered before, like Rag time, western, early folk, Civil War offerings, early blues, etc.

Or what about going further back into some of the earlier historical types of music created in more of the classical vein. There's a host of info/samples of Enlightenment music to be studied. The list goes on.

War tunes of the different times also offers a wealth of music that many have forgotten or many have never heard, reflecting the efforts/struggles of the different conflicts.

Forget about channeling your interest to what you are familiar with. Your interest will peak when you discover what the different times/countries/cultures have to offer. IMHO

Q

Last edited:
Dixie Dregs. Don't let the Dixie part throw you. The "What If" album is probably my favorite.

Good luck with your music search :beerchug:

I'm not fond of systems using satellites and a subwoofer even though I own one myself. The bass just isn't natural sounding. Any thing I would recommend how ever is going to be larger in physical size taking up more floor space. I'll make two recommendations on either side of the listening spectrum. First is the Klipsch Forte III.. A fairly efficient horn loaded system that will increase your dynamic spectrum by at one or possibly two Magnitudes. For better transients and increased definition something from Magnepan. You'll have to give up the false overly exaggerated bass of the subwoofer for a new window of musical reproduction. In either case you will have go in for an audition, but I would hope the dealer would allow you to demo either in your home.

For me my sound systems over the years have been long term investments. I 'm willing to buy the best I can afford at the time and keep it for awhile before having to up grade again. My TT is over 40 years old. MY FM tuners are very close to 40 Years old. My Stereo Pre-amp is 16 years old. One of my amps is 48 years old, the others 8 to 10 years. Yet my HT processors is only two years old, and my Stereo cartridge is only a few yeas old. My Pre-pre-amp is less than two years old. If I win the lottery or the right deal comes along I may up grade speakers.

I'm not fond of systems using satellites and a subwoofer even though I own one myself. The bass just isn't natural sounding. Any thing I would recommend how ever is going to be larger in physical size taking up more floor space. I'll make two recommendations on either side of the listening spectrum. First is the Klipsch Forte III.. A fairly efficient horn loaded system that will increase your dynamic spectrum by at one or possibly two Magnitudes. For better transients and increased definition something from Magnepan. You'll have to give up the false overly exaggerated bass of the subwoofer for a new window of musical reproduction. In either case you will have go in for an audition, but I would hope the dealer would allow you to demo either in your home.

For me my sound systems over the years have been long term investments. I 'm willing to buy the best I can afford at the time and keep it for awhile before having to up grade again. My TT is over 40 years old. MY FM tuners are very close to 40 Years old. My Stereo Pre-amp is 16 years old. One of my amps is 48 years old, the others 8 to 10 years. Yet my HT processors is only two years old, and my Stereo cartridge is only a few yeas old. My Pre-pre-amp is less than two years old. If I win the lottery or the right deal comes along I may up grade speakers.
I think you're in the wrong thread :dunno:

If you are referring to the equipment in my sig... The system cost me about $2,200 or so and I decided on it after much experimenting with "standard" hi-fi systems. The KRK 10-3's are hardly satellites, plenty of crisp bass. The matching 12" Sub blends incredibly well. Listening to system as I type and often you can't even tell there is a sub... until you can tell there is a sub... and it makes all of the difference. I understand lots of folks are not fond of listening on studio monitors but the upgraded TubeMagic D1 smoothes out any concerns I had and I was glad to unload a lot of fine speakers and amps I cycled through for years before making this choice. Best system I ever owned, to my ears.

I to was in a kind of funk when it came to new music. These 3 artist helped me turn a corner.
Porcupine Tree- Trains
Buckethead- Flare
Damian Erskine- kind of new to me so try anything he has

Load up their Spotify radio station, this should introduce you to some interesting new music.

Please. Can anyone point me to anything unique and different? The monotony of music seems to be getting to me lately. Same old lyrics, same old chords, same old genres... Is there anyone out there coming up with anything even slightly original these days? I have made it to the ends of Spotify searching with little luck. Am I just losing my love for music? I don't think so, I still play every day. But when it comes time to listen, I can't find anything new and interesting enough to keep my attention. Suggestions more than appreciated.
Tina Guo.
Lindsey Stirling

the choral scholars University of Dublin

I love the musical diversity that fellow AK'ers bring to the table in threads like these. I agree with Musichal there is so much great stuff out there I've yet to hear. Some of the suggestions in this post I found tiring while some I want to note and add to my collection. A rock/punk/folk/reggae/alt whatever guyat heart I still listen to a lot of new music, hitting the FM airwaves in search of new artists that tickle my fancy.

Here's a new one by Kurt Vile, ex War on Drugs guitarist. It's got an All Along the Watchtower vibe to it and McMurtry-ish lyrics that caught my ear

Or this haunting Brandi Carlile number, her album made the NPR list

Wonder if the OP's thoughts are the same as Ritchie Blackmore's? Doing something different.

My suggestion for getting your mojo back would be group and orchestra, symphonic arrangements etc. Start with the familiar and head off in directions that the exposure to new treatments of music takes you:

Moody Blues - Days Of Future Past
Procul Harum Live In Concert with the ESO
Red Rider - The Symphony Sessions (also with the ESO)
Exit...Stage Right - The String Quartet Tribute to Rush
Kashmir - The Symphonic Led Zeppelin
Us And Them - The Symphonic Pink Floyd
S&M - Metallica with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra
Foreigner with the 21st Century Orchestra and Chorus

etc.

Hope this helps

I'm a hard rock, metal, and classic rock guy, but since I've started sticking my toe in vinyl after 30 years, I cannot get enough of these kids-

20181110_151559_resized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom