Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

I couldn't resist and I just ordered a pair of the Omen DW's in Maple Ghost Black...I can't wait!!!
I put an order in for a pair when they became available again back on the 18th. Went for the walnut with clarity cap upgrade, hoping for a positive result. Ghost black was my second finish choice, I've read they look much better in person than in photos.

I put an order in for a pair when they became available again back on the 18th. Went for the walnut with clarity cap upgrade, hoping for a positive result. Ghost black was my second finish choice, I've read they look much better in person than in photos.

Ordered the DW's in Walnut about a month ago. Just curious if they gave you any estimated build/ship time?
I was told by Garrit that it was looking like orders would ship around Christmas unless things changed. Wondered if that was still the schedule.

I've only ordered last night so nothing heard yet and nothing expected either. I'd be fine with them arriving in January since I'll be away the last two weeks of December. Would cause me all sorts of anxiety knowing that they've arrived and sat outside any amount of time more than necessary while someone brings them in for me!

Seriously considering purchasing a pair of DW’s, I don’t have a tube amp and would be driving them with either a Marantz 2216 (16W per channel) or the newer Marantz PM6005. A friend expressed the concern that the 2216 might be a bit to bright for the DW’s, wondering if anyone has any light to shed on that?
Also a comment earlier in the thread talked about the DW’s really exposing any flaws in the source material, I have a considerable amount of older LP’s which have the usual crackle and pop (would think most of you have), how sensitive are the DW’s, I’d hate to have a pair delivered to Ireland only to find that they make listening to a lot of my favourite records unbearable.

I sold a PM8003 recently to a fellow on another forum with Omens and he couldn't be happier with the combo. Yes, Omen DW is fairly transparent to source, but given the Marantz house sound is usually described as "warm and dark", and their onboard phono stages IMO are no slouch, I think the combo should be fine for your vinyl.

Is the 2216 one of the early solid state models? I've run a vintage Sansui AU666 with the DWs and it sounds pretty killer.

Seriously considering purchasing a pair of DW’s, I don’t have a tube amp and would be driving them with either a Marantz 2216 (16W per channel) or the newer Marantz PM6005. A friend expressed the concern that the 2216 might be a bit to bright for the DW’s, wondering if anyone has any light to shed on that?
Also a comment earlier in the thread talked about the DW’s really exposing any flaws in the source material, I have a considerable amount of older LP’s which have the usual crackle and pop (would think most of you have), how sensitive are the DW’s, I’d hate to have a pair delivered to Ireland only to find that they make listening to a lot of my favourite records unbearable.
If you've never heard efficient forward sounding speakers you might not like them. It won't be the fault of the Marantz amp or the Zu's, just preference.

The 2216 shouldn't make anything sound unbearable except unbearable shitty sounding speakers. That generation and series of receivers are pretty forgiving.

I sold a PM8003 recently to a fellow on another forum with Omens and he couldn't be happier with the combo. Yes, Omen DW is fairly transparent to source, but given the Marantz house sound is usually described as "warm and dark", and their onboard phono stages IMO are no slouch, I think the combo should be fine for your vinyl.

Is the 2216 one of the early solid state models? I've run a vintage Sansui AU666 with the DWs and it sounds pretty killer.
Hi and thanks for replying, my 2216 was made in 1978.

I just got notification of shipping. Ordered November 2nd. Packaged December 6th. Expected delivery December 13th.

I just got notification of shipping. Ordered November 2nd. Packaged December 6th. Expected delivery December 13th.

wow that was way faster than mine :D

I'm contemplating ordering another pair because i really could kick myself for not ordering the Walnut when i did :confused:

Wow is right. My order was placed on October 18th, haven't heard yet. Walnut with clarity cap.

Wow is right. My order was placed on October 18th, haven't heard yet. Walnut with clarity cap.

Nice you will love them. I have the Rustic Hickory with clarity caps, but you have exactly what i want... wanna trade? :D

Nice you will love them. I have the Rustic Hickory with clarity caps, but you have exactly what i want... wanna trade? :D

Sorry, my system is mostly black! Though I wish the clarity caps were an option when I ordered.

I certainly hope I do love them! I'm just glad they're showing up a few days before I leave for vacation. I was going to call today to postpone delivery, otherwise even though someone will be home I'd be freaking out while I was halfway across the world!

@911s55 my Walnut DW's w/ Clarity upgrade were ordered on 10/18 also. Mine are being shipped to Alaska but it will be interesting to see if both orders ship about the same time. Gerrit said that any options including additional cost finishes, cap upgrades etc. would push ship date out some.

ThomasD:

Cool, thanks for that info. I'll post when I receive notification.

I hope they ship soon, I have a hernia surgery on Dec 20th! Schleppin cabinets around ain't going to work for a while.

ThomasD:

Cool, thanks for that info. I'll post when I receive notification.

I hope they ship soon, I have a hernia surgery on Dec 20th! Schleppin cabinets around ain't going to work for a while.

Ouch!! Hope all heals well. Been told twice by doctors that that operation was in my future but things seemed to get better each time. Wish you the best.
P.S. Surgery recovery sounds like some serious 'Dirty Weekend' Break-in time :banana:

Yep, gonna be on the couch anyway, hope they get here.

The real bitch about this hernia operation is I had it done 25 years ago in the exact same location and now it's back. WTF, my capacitors last longer!

You must have gone the cheap route and didn't get the 30 year warranty with the last one. Live and learn. Seriously, I know a few that have had the procedure in the recent past and am told that the technology and techniques have improved quite a bit. Enjoy the down time.

Just a heads up for anyone who ordered DW during the last sale after the Claritycaps had sold out - They have them back in stock, and I was able to add them to my speakers by speaking with Gerrit. The cost was $100.00 for the upgrade. They also have them available again in their DIY section for 80 plus shipping.

Back
Top Bottom