Vintage Cyclophonic Turntable - Speaker Jacks?

Psychophonic

I’m considering buying an old Reader’s Digest Cyclophonic turntable, speakers not included. My question is, the speaker connectors on the back of this unit look alien to me. How will I be able to wire my speakers to this unit? Does anyone have experience with these?

Hey thanks! This is the only photo I’ve been able to find that shows the back panel.

Attachments

• A9A2609A-BF49-4BCD-83EC-EF12793F43E4.jpeg
    A9A2609A-BF49-4BCD-83EC-EF12793F43E4.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 64
Looks like 2pin jacks. But the Terminal strip above the jacks could be speaker connections also?. Is it 8(ohms), Gnd, 8(ohms), Gnd. on the terminal strip?

I can’t tell from the photo if those are 6’s or 8’s. And I’ve never seen a 2pin jack before. My JBL speakers simply use bare-ended wire that connects to screw terminals, so I may be SOL if the 2pin jacks are the only option on this unit.

Celt, I didn’t see your reply initially. If those screw terminals are for speaker wire, then I should be set!

NAD80 thanks for posing the video, very helpful. I actually watched that video earlier today but did not see the part that showed the back of the unit so clearly.
I know absolutely nothing about this model. I’m mainly looking for something to play old 78’s. Hopefully it works. The seller claims it works, but we all know how that goes. They’re asking $40 for it, speakers not included.

So will there be a difference in sound quality or output when using the screw terminals vs. using the 2-pin connectors?

Yes. One will sound "pinny" while the other will sound completely screwy...

No, the connections are very likely paralleled, simply offering use of the convenient (in 1962) plugs or wires.

Those screws look pretty close together, make sure no stray wire strands from one screw touch another.

Well I plugged it in and did a quick test of it’s functions. It works! Sort of.

The platter would not spin initially. With a little help from my finger, it got going. The motor sounded like it was crying for a few minutes. After 5min or so, the 78 speed started working along with the other speeds. At the proper rpm, I am not yet sure about 45, 33, and 16. Seems to be ok at 78rpm.

The cartridge. The white wire has come loose from the post. I assume this is for the right channel because the left channel/speaker is working.

The stylus. The 33/45 side of the needle is gone, like sheared off. The 78 side seems ok at least. It flips back and forth with no problem.

The pots are quite scratchy of course. Treble and bass controls don’t seem to do much of anything.

I grabbed a 78 and played it. I was happy.

The end.

Last edited:
http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/default.asp Check out this website for needles. Get some Deoxit type cleaner to do the pots and switches. ( check idiot's guide to using Deoxit in General Audio Discussions). Just use a pair of needle nose pliers put it back on the cartridge. Assuming the wire slides back on the cartridge post.

Hit up the auto store for some spade lugs to connect to the speaker terminal strip.

Back
Top Bottom