Aligning AT95 Cart on JVC A40

Ptlud

I am not able to align my new AT95 cart on my JL-A40. Currently the end of the stylus is 3/16” out from the overhang target. The connections between the cart and headshell preclude pushing the cartridge in any further. Suggestions on how to fix this problem would be much appreciated.

Paul

Attachments

• C0CD137F-ABF0-4B55-8E53-711DD13C9DF3.jpeg
    C0CD137F-ABF0-4B55-8E53-711DD13C9DF3.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 19
Play a few last tracks on some records you know well. If you can't hear any distortion, just live with it, or invest in a different headshell.

I am not able to align my new AT95 cart on my JL-A40. Currently the end of the stylus is 3/16” out from the overhang target. The connections between the cart and headshell preclude pushing the cartridge in any further. Suggestions on how to fix this problem would be much appreciated.

Paul

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Try using the factory alignment method for the time being, there should be sufficient space on the headshell for it. :music:
generic overhang.jpg 48 mm

Paul

That looks like a JVC headshell, is that what it is? You may need some headshell wires that are more pliable and shorter than the ones you have. Another trick is to wind them in a circular pattern before connecting to the end of the cartridge.

And yes, the overhang needs to be 48mm from rubber washer to stylus ship as show by @Balifly . The dot on the plinth will get the same result.

Paul

I have the exact same table, with the same headshell. I recently installed an Audio Technics AT3600L cartridge on it. I found the built-in overhang indicator useless. With the stylus at album height, that teeny, tiny diamond is hovering 20 - 25mm above that huge circle on the surface of the plinth. Trying to eyeball the alignment is impossible from any angle and subject to parallax error. Plus, that circle has a diameter of 3.5mm. Not exactly precise.

I happened to have a small, round piece of rubber that's 22mm tall x 4mm in diameter. I have no idea where it cam from, but I used it to set the overhang. I centered it above the target and then centered the stylus on the top of it. Turns out I was pretty close (just measured it with my digital calipers and the stylus tip is 47.75mm from the rubber washer). With a cartridge, like the AT, that has the stylus pretty far forward of the mounting holes, it does result in a tight fit between the cartridge and head shell pins. Not a lot of room to work with there, but it is doable:

JVC-Headshell.jpg

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Try using the factory alignment method for the time being, there should be sufficient space on the headshell for it. :music:
View attachment 1350733 48 mm

Thanks for posting that. For some reason, when I searched for the recommended overhang distance for the JVC, I came empty. I knew it was less than the typical Technics distance of 52mm, but wasn't sure how much. As I mentioned above, using my method, it ended up at 47.75mm. Probably close enough (sounds fine, tracks fine), but now that I know the correct recommended distance, I'll probably push it out another .25mm. Probably won't make any difference, but I'll sleep better at night knowing it's as right as right can be.

I have the exact same table, with the same headshell. I recently installed an Audio Technics AT3600L cartridge on it. I found the built-in overhang indicator useless. With the stylus at album height, that teeny, tiny diamond is hovering 20 - 25mm above that huge circle on the surface of the plinth. Trying to eyeball the alignment is impossible from any angle and subject to parallax error. Plus, that circle has a diameter of 3.5mm. Not exactly precise.

I happened to have a small, round piece of rubber that's 22mm tall x 4mm in diameter. I have no idea where it cam from, but I used it to set the overhang. I centered it above the target and then centered the stylus on the top of it. Turns out I was pretty close (just measured it with my digital calipers and the stylus tip is 47.75mm from the rubber washer). With a cartridge, like the AT, that has the stylus pretty far forward of the mounting holes, it does result in a tight fit between the cartridge and head shell pins. Not a lot of room to work with there, but it is doable:

Thanks for posting that. For some reason, when I searched for the recommended overhang distance for the JVC, I came empty. I knew it was less than the typical Technics distance of 52mm, but wasn't sure how much. As I mentioned above, using my method, it ended up at 47.75mm. Probably close enough (sounds fine, tracks fine), but now that I know the correct recommended distance, I'll probably push it out another .25mm. Probably won't make any difference, but I'll sleep better at night knowing it's as right as right can be.

Glad that you are enjoying the music! :music:

Glad that you are enjoying the music! :music:

I am, thanks. That JVC is a pretty decent table. The motor has a LOT of torque. But I bought it to harvest the Grado cartridge with the intention to resell the table (I just have to many tables and they are starting to take up a lot of space). I put one of the AT3600L cartridges on it and it sounds great. Someone will get a good deal on a solid table with a brand new cartridge/stylus.

Back
Top Bottom