My steuerpimpel is shot, big deal.

The pimpel on my other dual, a 1225, broke this summer. Did a diy from coax while waiting for the ones I ordered for it. It worked so well so It's still in use.
So I got a couple laying around which will come in handy now to fix the 601.

Your answer has me scratching my head. What I'm I missing?
Dual? Technics? My own Technics is packed away in the box it was delivered in.
Duals? In service right now.
Maybe if the Technics survives a fire and the Duals don't, I'll get the Technics back out. Mebbe.

Tonight my Dual 601 started acting up. The auto functions was there no more.
What to do?

I could throw a fit.
I could try to breathe into a brown paper bag
I could seek therapy.
I could try explore substances.
I could let out a primal scream.
I could get an overpriced Technics SL1200.

Or I could just replace a small plastic peace. AKA the steuerpimpel.

....yes. We Dual owners are a special breed.

You don't have an option for "All of the above"

Reactions: T68
Think I'll try fix the pimpel.

Make sure your insurance is paid up, ok ...

tenor.gif

I would never trade my Dual for a Technics. If I did it wouldnt be for a 1200. Yeah its built better but they all pretty much sound the same.

"I am a steuerpimpel, as lonely as can be.."
That's purtier than the one I just put on the 1219. Might have to order from a different source next time.

There's a German seller on eBay, I bought a small pack from him, and use them on duals. They sure do rely on that little plastic piece!

I have a question: What is the appeal of Dual turntables? I have repaired three of them, and spent a bit of time listening to them. I haven't caught on to the appeal yet though. Is it the German aesthetic? Do they sound way better than they should? My only contact with them has been to repair them, and then play some test records. The comment that someone would prefer a dual to a technics sl-1200 has me genuinely confused, what is it about the Dual I am overlooking?

There's a German seller on eBay, I bought a small pack from him, and use them on duals. They sure do rely on that little plastic piece!

I have a question: What is the appeal of Dual turntables? I have repaired three of them, and spent a bit of time listening to them. I haven't caught on to the appeal yet though. Is it the German aesthetic? Do they sound way better than they should? My only contact with them has been to repair them, and then play some test records. The comment that someone would prefer a dual to a technics sl-1200 has me genuinely confused, what is it about the Dual I am overlooking?
They sound better than they look, although depending on the model, they can look really good.
I do have a Technics SL-1210, I wasn't just joking about it. I used it from 2005 with various tonearms and it performed pretty well. I was happy with it until a friend of mine gave a Dual 1209 last February. In my opinion, the Technics sounded kind of lifeless compared to the Dual. Narrower soundstage, drier sound with the Technics. Needed a subwoofer to get any punch, no sub needed with the Duals. I took the tonearm off of the Technics (I had a Trans-Fi air bearing LP arm mounted on it), packed it up, put it back on the shelf. Don't know what I'm going to do with it at this point.
And that was compared to a 1209. One of the better Duals like the 1219 or 1229, whole 'nother ballgame. As always, YMMV.

Thing to remember, Duals aren't cheap turntables. Adjusted for inflation, the 1219 is an $1,100 turntable in today's money. Even the 1209 would be an $800 deck and it was a budget model.

I'm not ripping 1200 series Technics. I only paid $400 for my 1210 in 2005. It was a out and out steal at that price.

Back
Top Bottom