Fisher 90-R AM/FM Tuner

Ever have one of those days when everything you touch turns to you know what? Today I was going to install one of the 378 bulb sockets that I bought to finish the 90-R. The old socket had come apart and had to be replaced. The original sockets are swaged into a hole in the mounting bracket. I had to enlarge the opening in the bracket to accept the new socket - done with needle files. I did manage to get the new socket installed by soldering its mounting bracket to the larger mounting bracket for the whole assembly. Then I started checking the remaining bulbs. The one next to the replaced socket was OK. I moved to the bulb on the end and the glass portion twisted and came out in my hand. The base of the lamp shell was barely protruding from the socket and as I began to try to un-screw the whole socket began to twist. I finally managed to get the remaining part of the bulb shell broken off in the socket. So the only answer was to replace another socket. Then I bumped the one next to it and broke another socket!!!!:rant: So now I will have to replace three of the original sockets. That means many hours of effort with needle files and more soldering of new lamp sockets in the mounting bracket. It is a lot of trouble for something that only tells the user what position the function switch has been left in. These 378 bulbs are far more trouble than they are worth!

It is time to set it aside again and work on the 800-C again where I can make some progress.

Joe

I ceased work on the 90-R recently to concentrate on the 800-C. In the meantime I also acquired a 90-T which is the same tuner circuitry as the 90-R but with the preamp stages added plus tone controls. This one is in nicer condition than the 90-R but is missing its tubes.
90-T 01.jpg 90-T 05.jpg
90-T 08.jpg
90-T 09.jpg
I can't seem to get enough Fishers!

Joe

Yeah, it is as cute as a button! I have a friend who has lots of Fisher knobs, so we will get together and see if I can come up with a complete set of OEM knobs for the 90-T.

One thing that surprised me is how the front panel is made. It consists of a stamped metal plate plus a cast pot-metal center section. The outer section is fine brushed brass plated steel while the center section is gold painted cast metal. There was an anniversary model which has a fine brushed stainless steel look with the center section still of gold painted cast pot metal.
Anniversary 90-R.jpg
The Anniversary 90-R Model

The anniversary model looks nice, but I would have preferred that they use anodized aluminum for the outer light finish instead of stamped steel.

Joe

Here are a couple of pictures. It is not too pretty - the front panel has rust spots a number of places where the corrosion of the steel underneath the brass plating has leached through. At least it works OK now. The lamps in the window to the left are burned out - may replace with LEDs and series resistor. The OEM lamps are very tiny - probably not readily available.
View attachment 1321981
View attachment 1321982
Joe
I know that this is a super old thread, but if you are still in need of the small screw in selector bulbs you can get them through a place in Florida called "Bulb Town". the equivalent cross reference is a #378 which is a 20K hour 6.3V 0.2A . I have validated these two work well with a mix of original bulbs. Illumination is spot-on to the original.

Here's a link

www.bulbtown.com

Back
Top Bottom