Tweeter DCR Reading Question

mcdmgb

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Does a DCR of 7.6 ohms on a nominal 8-ohm tweeter (McIntosh/Peerless 225) indicate that while produces sound, it will not be loud?

Thanks

My understanding is that DCR is typically 80% of a drivers nominal impedance. I was expecting a DCR more like 6.4-ohms.

My understanding is that DCR is typically 80% of a drivers nominal impedance. I was expecting a DCR more like 6.4-ohms.

There is no general rule as to what DCR should be. Typically, DCR will be around 4 ohms or less for drivers with nominal impedance of 4 ohms and 8 ohms or less for drivers with nominal impedance of 8 ohms. DCR is the resistance of the winding using direct current. DCR will be lower when the voice coil has a larger conductor size or fewer winding turns. The impedance of the speaker is measured over the frequency response of the speaker. Impedance varies as the frequency changes because impedance is a combination of the resistance, inductance, and capacitance of the speaker/driver.

Measuring DCR will tell you if the voice coil has an open circuit. That is, checking DCR is most useful as a continuity test of the VC. Unless you know the DCR for a specific driver, you cannot draw any other substantive conclusions just from knowing the DCR. If you have another identical driver that is known to be good, you can measure that DCR and compare it with the other. If one is good and the other has substantially the same DCR, you can assume that the other is good, too.

There is no general rule as to what DCR should be. Typically, DCR will be around 4 ohms or less for drivers with nominal impedance of 4 ohms and 8 ohms or less for drivers with nominal impedance of 8 ohms. DCR is the resistance of the winding using direct current. DCR will be lower when the voice coil has a larger conductor size or fewer winding turns. The impedance of the speaker is measured over the frequency response of the speaker. Impedance varies as the frequency changes because impedance is a combination of the resistance, inductance, and capacitance of the speaker/driver.

Measuring DCR will tell you if the voice coil has an open circuit. That is, checking DCR is most useful as a continuity test of the VC. Unless you know the DCR for a specific driver, you cannot draw any other substantive conclusions just from knowing the DCR. If you have another identical driver that is known to be good, you can measure that DCR and compare it with the other. If one is good and the other has substantially the same DCR, you can assume that the other is good, too.

That's informative.

Thanks.

If the issue is one tweeter in a pair being louder than the other- then what does the other tweeter read?

The exact value is not important for any one tweeter (they vary a lot depending on design)- but the two tweeters in a pair should be within 10% of each other, usually, if both are good.

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom