Alright who's using a bread maker???

sanford12

Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff
I just picked one up and have baked 3 loaves so far. All white bread with one being cinnamon swirl. After the first 2 I used unbleached bread flour instead of the recommended unbleached all purpose. The bread flour makes much better bread. Heck this thing can even make jam. I bought the Cuisinart CBK 110 because it had decent ratings and a small footprint. It's super easy to use.

If you have recipes please post if you would please.

GO BEARS!!

My wife has used a bread maker for years. Fresh bread is a big hit at family get-togethers. She's made white, French, cinnamon, Italian and Rye. I'd like to post a recipe, but my wife is one of those "pinch of this, a dash of that", with no real recipe.

I have a Hamilton Beach and it has variable programs, 1 through 4. It's all based on how large of a loaf you want to make and how long that the contents have to cook.

Here's some recipes I've used in mine:

Bread%20Recipe%2001_zpslfe5vfxs.jpg

Bread%20Recipe%2002_zps0blsvqvo.jpg

Bread%20Recipe%2003_zpsfnive0ax.jpg

Bread%20Recipe%2006_zpsbbyu4naj.jpg

Bread%20Recipe%2004_zpsabgs9gkr.jpg

Back in the 90's .. I use to make home made bread quite a bit. It was fun (at the time) but eventually got old fast .. it takes monotonous work. Nothing like fresh baked bread right out of the oven though .. yum!

Eventually got a bread machine .. and we've had one ever since. Don't make it all the time .. good quality breads are available locally .. I live in Amish country .. but we still run the machine once every two months or so. We cut a slice as soon as it comes out of the machine .. nothing like that first hot slice!.

Last edited:
Your right there. I had ham and eggs this morning with a big slice with butter and blackberry jelly. Simple and delicious. One slice of home made = 2 slices of most store bread. We had a bread machine years ago but the new one is a much better machine. Takes maybe 5 minutes to load the ingredients and then it's 3.5 hours till bread.

Thanks for the recipes. The quantities are very similar to what the recipes that came with mine.
I have a Hamilton Beach and it has variable programs, 1 through 4. It's all based on how large of a loaf you want to make and how long that the contents have to cook.

Here's some recipes I've used in mine:

Bread%20Recipe%2002_zps0blsvqvo.jpg

Bread%20Recipe%2003_zpsfnive0ax.jpg

Bread%20Recipe%2006_zpsbbyu4naj.jpg

Bread%20Recipe%2004_zpsabgs9gkr.jpg

Last edited:
I had a bread maker, loved it and it broke. The $5 replacement I got for it at the Goodwill broke it's belt. I now have a Kitchen Aid but miss the bread makers as I'm lazy.

I've always made bread myself. Kneading the dough can be therepeutic, but when I'm a bit pressed for time will use the KitchenAid mixer.

I was looking for a lighter, fluffier loaf and decided to try a little extra yeast. Instead of 1 teaspoon it was 1.25 and that little bit made a heck of a difference. The dough rose higher while cooking and when cut it's was lighter/ less dense just what I was going for. Better taste and texture.

Marmalade.jpg

Yep. Bread by me. I use a Breville breadmaker and a local "German Seed Loaf" blend by Laucke Mills.

Marmalade by the missus using oranges from my "adopted" next door Italian Nonna. She planted the tree, it's 50 years old now. Best tasting oranges I've had.

Made a French loaf tonight. It has a wonderful crunchy crust. Gonna have to make spaghetti tomorrow Need some more flour have to pick up some wheat and try my hand at that.

We would use it more, but I haven't bought a loaf of bread for myself since probably last summer--it's just too many carbs here. I will use the bread maker on special occasions, but it gets used so little that the bearing in the pan seizes up. That and the temperature has gone a little strange on it, and the last few haven't risen like they did in years past. It is a National (Panasonic) I picked up over 25 years ago.

These days it's been the Kitchen Aid and the dough hook. I made some dinner rolls one evening that came out OK. And I'm making a quick thin pizza dough every week or two. I may get brave and try a French bread in the oven one of these days.
We cut a slice as soon as it comes out of the machine .. nothing like that first hot slice!.
When we first got the National, I plopped myself down at the kitchen table with the hot loaf of bread, the peanut butter, and a jar of homemade raspberry jelly. Stuffed myself with a few pieces. :D Great memories!

@sanford12 We have a book called Electric Bread. I should see if my scanner works, and scan that thing into a PDF.

Ours gets a lot of use, but mostly on the dough setting. I make pizza dough in it every other week and bake round loaves in the oven, in a cast iron pot. Sometimes a loaf pan. It’s barely extra work to shape it, but so much nicer than the vertical pan in the machine. Panasonic, $8 from a thrift store, probably decades old by now. I just wish it was bigger, but then our counter space is limited, anyway.

I can be taught. Read somewhere that you don't scoop with your measuring cup from the sack of flour but you should pour from the sack into the measuring cup. The scoop from the sack compacts the flour and makes your measure inaccurate while pouring from the sack is the accurate method. After 3 loafs of the pour method the loaves actually rose higher by about an 1.5 inches and touched the viewing window and best of all it's better bread. The difference between the to methods was surprising.

Back
Top Bottom