Today's JAZZ playlist

index.php

47686784_10217670605938709_8026790029315538944_n.jpg

Happy Birthday to one of the most COLORFUL drummers of them all. No one did with cymbals what Sonny did. Watch out for him in a slow groove too. Had the honor of meeting him once and seeing him play a couple of times. I enjoyed watching him light up and work the room at the reception after a concert he played at Guild Hall in East Hampton back in the late 70s, just as much as I enjoyed hearing him play. Both times I saw him, he played with pianist Brooks Kerr.

Hey guys!! Order now!!

"For almost 80 years, Carnegie Deli reigned as NYC’s King of Pastrami until closing its doors on December 30, 2016. While the original NYC location on 7th Avenue and 55th Street remains closed, the family behind this Pinnacle of Pastrami is as active as ever, still producing what many (including fans like Woody Allen) believe to be the finest pastrami and corned beef the City has to offer. The original location adjacent to Carnegie Hall first opened in 1937 and due to their delicious food and close proximity to Manhattan’s theater district, became an icon for many of the City’s most famous entertainers from Woody Allen, Henny Youngman and Jackie Mason early on to younger celebrities like Adam Sandler decades later. Known for their outrageously sized portions, Carnegie’s motto still remains “If you can finish your meal, we’ve done something wrong.”

https://www.goldbelly.com/carnegie-...bIwgWETEbr3akR1o6a2Sjs9RPGvjYeHvptqokiT3gyuKk

Happy Birthday to one of the most COLORFUL drummers of them all. No one did with cymbals what Sonny did. Watch out for him in a slow groove too. Had the honor of meeting him once and seeing him play a couple of times. I enjoyed watching him light up and work the room at the reception after a concert he played at Guild Hall in East Hampton back in the late 70s, just as much as I enjoyed hearing him play. Both times I saw him, he played with pianist Brooks Kerr.

That's cool. Brooks Kerr, from what I understand, was quite an amazing pianist. Sonny had the groove. There is a video I was watching back a year or so, and the freaking drums wouldn't stay put, after every song he was rearranging them. He was also not afraid to use his hands, I think the band was doing La Plus Belle Africaine, WOW, just WOW.

That's cool. Brooks Kerr, from what I understand, was quite an amazing pianist. Sonny had the groove. There is a video I was watching back a year or so, and the freaking drums wouldn't stay put, after every song he was rearranging them. He was also not afraid to use his hands, I think the band was doing La Plus Belle Africaine, WOW, just WOW.

I'd have to hear Kerr again. I honestly don't remember his playing too much. When I think of Sonny's groove, there are things like "Boy Meets Horn" which demonstrate that, and some of the stuff on the Fargo, North Dakota recording that I remember. No one would crescendo on a cymbal to accentuate a phrase the way he would either. You know what I'm talking about, those little cymbal crescendos he would always do. What a unique sound. No other drummer did it. I'll look for that recording you're talking about.

Last edited:

Awesome. I'm glad You let us know it was Sonny's Birthday. The first time I saw this photo, I thought, "I didn't know Raul Julia played drums!"

00149136_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom