My steuerpimpel is shot, big deal.

Me too. Don’t like the electronics on many tables. Worked on a Phillips 212. Loaded with electronics. Just reduced my 1219s from 4 to three. Have owned many Duals. Decided I like the 1219 the best. Sending one to Florida for an Aker who lives in Costa Rica. This leaves me with three. One on each system. They really sound good. My latest 1219 was bought overseas. Has the Dual built base and dust cover. It’s on my shop Marantz. Has a Pickering XV15 cart. Was listiening to it last night. Bought it as it’s an early 1219. Has a new steer-implementing. Was working, now auto start in finicky. Shutoff work which is more important as I sometimes walk away form it. Mint. Have the later 1219 in the bedroom. Played the 1812 Overaturen on it this morning. This one has a Shure M55/Jico stylus. It too sounds great.

Funny how turntables sound different. Have a Garrard Zero 100 next to the latest 1219. Got the Zero because it’s different. Has a M55 Shure. Doesn’t sound as good.

The OPs 601 is the easiest one to do a stuerpimple on. Had one for awhile. Nice sounding table.

Eric
The stereo shop that mentored my friends and I back in the 1970s, Dual was their main line of turntables. The loved the tone arms, to that shop the arm was the most important factor when it came to turntables.
I thought Duals were good but not great, then I had a chance to play a 510 in my own system a several years ago. Thought it was a lot better than the Technics and tried to buy it, but no sale.
The idlers sound better than the 510 did. The 1219 is the best turntable I've ever owned or used, hands down. I got it for free, one of three broken homeless Dual changers. It has the base with the fold down front.

The speed selector itself is fine and working perfectly. Cleaned and regreased by me.
My theory is that some previous owner forced the lever when the grease was frozen and stripped most of the splines away. I finished the job yesterday. Didn't take much pressure to do it.
Ahh thought you meant the selector even though you had said before the lever broke. organdonorparts has levers in inventory according to their site. Another good source of Dual parts is turntableexperts. I bought up several levers when I started working on them because they do tend to get broken. JB Weld would probably work ok in a pinch, provided the mechanism moves properly.

Ahh thought you meant the selector even though you had said before the lever broke. organdonorparts has levers in inventory according to their site. Another good source of Dual parts is turntableexperts. I bought up several levers when I started working on them because they do tend to get broken. JB Weld would probably work ok in a pinch, provided the mechanism moves properly.
Thanks for the reference to Organ Donor Parts. I thought I had them bookmarked, but couldn't find the link and couldn't remember the name either.
They had a lever for sale, and I ordered it.
The mechanism moves like those German engineers intended. If I had the tools to do it, I'd drill and tap a lockscrew into the old handle.

Over the years I owned many a dual; 1209, 1219, 1249 and they all died on me, usually the changer function gave up the ghost. I loved them but they were too fragile. My current TT is my Denon DP300f running a Grado Green cartridge and it is exactly ten years old and still working just fine.

A big reason why Duals are delicate. They required and expected regular use and being serviced on schedule. A Dual changer is mechanically the equivalent of a Mercedes-Benz luxury car with everything. Lots more under the hood to give issues if not impeccably maintained. Sort one out and serviced correctly, they're wonderful. And also there's the cartridge mounts, always a Dual weakness on everything they made.

A big reason why Duals are delicate. They required and expected regular use and being serviced on schedule. A Dual changer is mechanically the equivalent of a Mercedes-Benz luxury car with everything. Lots more under the hood to give issues if not impeccably maintained. Sort one out and serviced correctly, they're wonderful. And also there's the cartridge mounts, always a Dual weakness on everything they made.

Once gone through they are wonderful. Have three 1219s. The one pictured ran 5 years. It’s motor required a cleaning and oiling. Since I had it apart previously, it came apart easily. Ten minutes good to go,. The headshell does drop a channel occasionally requiring a cleaning of its contacts. Overall, once I did the overhaul it’s been fine. Very enjoyable to listen to.

My shop 1219 is a little finicky. Plays great. The auto start comes and goes. Replaced the stuerpimple. Does return back to its rest at the end of the record which I like if I forget it’s on. Looks like an issue in its arm. At some point I will try to get to work. Like the other two it’s near perfect cosmetically. Enjoy them!

Back
Top Bottom