The current state of men`s wardrobes

The only suit I ever owned is my birthday suit and I intend on keeping it that way. As for the current state of men's fashion - wtvr.

really old guys: 1) zoot suits, 2) baggy double-breasted with pant's beltline 3 inches below armpits

old guys: 1970s suits with WIDE ties (hides the gravy stains in plain sight)

middle-agers: normal suits, 3-inch ties, brogues, and nice watch

young guys: only if your BMI is 1/3 your IQ: skinny everything.

major note: I've worked in several companies where some of the VPs first looked
at your shoes and made your career assessments in about 10 seconds.

My buddy and I when called by said execs, told me to break out the "ferragamos".

I recommend to those who aspire to the top of the chain, to wear the
most expensive (looking) shoes you can afford. buy new pair once
a year and build up collection (switch to sandals when leaving office),
and make sure they are oxblood - monk straps, skip the pull-up boots, no Nikes, etc

and remember during that EOY CEO presentation after the quiet period,
giving "the" speech and he looks out at the audience in the first row and
stops, at that first pair of oxbloods, looks up and sees the owner and
places him on the promotion list. brown shoe wearers get rated a 4 at
the next annual massacre...

Paisley matches nothing.

I used to wear Church's English shoes ($800 a pair) before I had kids. Not as good as a nice pair of Allen Edmonds shoes ($350 - $425 a pair). Once a year, Allen Edmonds has most of its line on sale for $275 - $340. You cannot buy a better dress shoe for that price on the entire planet. Dark brown or black. Don't like oxblood/cordovan.

Chicks look at your teeth and shoes to size you up.

I usually dress like Dr. Johnny Fever. Since 1981. I do have some nice tailored suits and nice shoes, but generally I wear Merrells.

I may wear old Wrangler jeans. But the boots are either full-quill ostrich or crocodile and the watch is a Tissot. Heck, the watch is probably worth more than all of my clothes put together. I know the boots are.

Everytime I see paisly I think of paramecium and since I retired I never wear a watch. Just not into time anymore.

Dress like Frank Sinatra and you can never go wrong!

48314830_10156858590031460_7308261701709725696_n.jpg

All the best dressed men today are wearing LED codpieces ... pass it on ...

41ASuk8E4ZL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I wasn’t kidding about “dress flip flops.” It’s what happens when you hang out at the beach to much.

For Thanksgiving in NYC, I bought some nice duds. But I only had room for one pair of shoes in the carry on. Grey and orange, trail running shoes. I did put some mileage on them. It went well with the neon green, nano puff hoodie, which I wore everywhere. Actress Marissa Neitling gave me a smile when I showed up at the Old King Cole Bar at the St. Regis Hotel wearing it.

The last nice pair of shoes I bought was 25 years ago. Some cool tan colored Ballys. Cross between dress shoes and sandals. Looks good with off-white linen pants at beach resorts. I wish they were still made.

In the last couple months, I bought 6-7 pairs of shorts, 3 UPF 50 rash guards, couple of nice and airy short-sleeved shirts. A bunch of t-shirts. One even from the Guggenheim. One dress pants and shirt, one Levi jeans, and one fancy, stretchy Patagonia Performance jeans for $100. I though the price was ridiculous, but it’s the most comfortable jeans. Yvon gave back millions to charity, so I’m cool with that.

Oh and one nice, tasteful and dressy aloha shirt. I haven’t had the opportunity wear that yet.

For years, warm-weather dress casual for me was Tommy Bahama short sleeve shirts, and Cavaricci or Marithe y Francois Girbaud jeans. The `80s, into the mid-`90s was a great period in time for men`s fashion.
Back then, I also spent a fair amount of dough on Gold Toe Windsor Wool socks, and Bally shoes.

Down here it can hit 100° any month of the year (85 right now). I dress for comfort, so mostly shorts and a polo shirt. I do, however, own a kilt for when I want to make an impression.

Paisley matches nothing.

I used to wear Church's English shoes ($800 a pair) before I had kids. Not as good as a nice pair of Allen Edmonds shoes ($350 - $425 a pair). Once a year, Allen Edmonds has most of its line on sale for $275 - $340. You cannot buy a better dress shoe for that price on the entire planet. Dark brown or black. Don't like oxblood/cordovan.

Chicks look at your teeth and shoes to size you up.
That’s it, next time I need shoes/clothes I’m heading to ‘DC’, and using you as a personal shopper.
Some T-Rex shall be playing in the background as the soundtrack.

I envy the old-school look when men always looked respectable. Me, I hate getting dressed up because it feels forced. I'm always working on something anyway.

rtsleep.jpg

Last edited:
Suits. Suits suits suits.

Boring into a box uniform.

Men's fashion should allow for more variation.

Back
Top Bottom