Vintage Dual Turntable Repair

TimMor

New to this forum and so I apologize if this has been asked and answered. I am in search of a reputable Dual turntable repair person or company preferably in the S.E. US. If someone has a recommendation, I would appreciate it very much.

Bill at FixMyDual.com. He's probably gonna be your best bet - I just got my 1019 back from him today and the guy does a great job at a great price. You have to ship it to Iowa, but it's worth it.

Bill at FixMyDual.com. He's probably gonna be your best bet - I just got my 1019 back from him today and the guy does a great job at a great price. You have to ship it to Iowa, but it's worth it.
When it comes to vintage Dual TT repair, Bill is the man! Bill repaired my 1219 some years ago and it's still working great!

I have given work to both Fix My Dual and No Transistors, and my experiences with Seth (No Transistors) were much more positive. I absolutely highly recommend his services.

Last edited:
There are tutorials on YouTube for how to pack a TT for shipping, but I agree with the above--contact whoever you are sending it to for their recommendations.

Packing a turntable is a lot of work. Must be done right or you end up with a box of junk. Just boxed a 1219. First remove the platter. I take strips of styrofoam and pad it around the tone arm to protect it. Then I put the 1219 in a plastic bag. This keeps packing from getting into it. I have seen eBayers ship turntables and styrofoam gets into them. Messy. Once covered, I bubble wrap it heavily. Then it goes in a box. Then a second box surrounded by styrofoam peanuts. You do this and no damage. I have never had anything I shipped damaged. A light bulb on a old Marantz receiver. That’s it. Seth will require the platter. I have bubble wrapped them and placed under the 1219. Once fixed, Duals last a long time.

Eric

Last edited:
Packing a turntable is a lot of work. Must be done right or you end up with a box of junk. Just boxed a 1219. First remove the platter. I take strips of styrofoam and pad it around the tone arm to protect it. Then I put the 1219 in a plastic bag. This keeps packing from getting into it. I have seen eBayers ship turntables and styrofoam gets into them. Messy. Once covered, I bubble wrap it heavily. Then it goes in a box. Then a second box surrounded by styrofoam peanuts. You do this and no damage. I have never had anything I shipped damaged. A light bulb on a old Marantz receiver. That’s it. Seth will require the platter. I have bubble wrapped them and placed under the 1219. One fixed, Duals last a long time.

Eric
Thanks!

In addition to the platter being removed, counterweights should also be removed and packed separately--they can come off and become little grenades inside the packing.

I had someone send me a Dual 1218 with the platter left on and no circlip holding it in place. He used some kind of open cell foam to keep everything from flying around and it worked. But I'd never do it that way.
I have a 1229Q I'll be sending up to Seth whenever he's ready for it. It'll be going in a box that was used to ship a cassette recorder from the factory, so it's a strong box. The platter will be shipped separately. Counterweight removed and wrapped in bubble wrap, etc.

Last edited:
I sent two Dual turntables to Fixmydual in Iowa. First, he did not require me to send my platter or counterweight. Headshell w/ cartridge was optional unless I wanted him to set it up correctly. I made a cardboard "dustcover" to protect the tone arm. TT returned in fine condition.1219 1.jpg 1219 2.jpg

I just dealt with Bill from FixMyDual. I had a Golden One I bought on BT that ended up having an issue (no sound). Sent it to Bill (no need to pack the platter or the counterweight), and he quickly got to it. He told me he was three weeks out, but damn, he didn't have that turntable three days and fixed it and shipped it back. Turned out it was a bad patch cable (component cables to me). Great work, super fast, super responsive. Ended up costing me $205 with return shipping (and it cost me about $50 to get it out to him). Well worth it.

Last edited:
I just dealt with Bill from FixMyDual. I had a Golden One I bought on BT that ended up having an issue (no sound). Sent it to Bill (no need to pack the platter or the counterweight), and he quickly got to it. He told me he was three weeks out, but damn, he didn't have that turntable three days and fixed it and shipped it back. Turned out it was a bad patch cable (component cables to me). Great work, super fast, super responsive. Ended up costing me $205 with return shipping (and it cost me about $50 to get it out to him). Well worth it.

Hello neighbor! Drop a line sometime. I live in nearby Hurley. Love to hear your 3800.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom