Ohm F questions?

After the CSI episode last year, I can't look at people in furrie suits without crackin up... :D

Punker X said:
Jim,

When's the listening party?

All this mention of Ohm's and not one mention of "I's" Heard many Ohm's and still one of my favorites..

X
I will try to reach you this weekend and see if we can set something up.These actually have the punch and bass of your I's with the sound of the Walsh.You will definately want to hear these Mike.

Ohm A

I am the guy with the Ohm As that Fred referred to earlier. Nice to see all the Ohm fans on this site. I've never thought Ohm has ever received their due in the audio world- though for those of us in the know, there is no other way to go!

I have a pair of Ohm Fs in perfect condition as well as my As and I love my Fs dearly. Cosmos summed it up perfectly when he described their sound, the way they make you feel about them, and how the naysayers simply do not know what they are talking about. That said, I can attest that there really isn't any comparison... the Ohm As are in another league altogether from the Ohm F. I bought my As unheard and unseen as a collector's piece because I am an Ohm fan- I did not think they would be practical for home use because of the power requirements, lack of sensitivity as well as the lack of power handling. Of course I was going to try them out when I got them, but I had no idea what I was in for. After I hooked them up I was absolutely and totally stunned. The clarity, the sense of reality, the detail... the totally seamless and smooth sound. The bass is incredibly deep, detailed, and clean... on explosions in movies, it propogates clean waves in the leather covering my sofa! It's unbelievable they were built over 30 years ago and designed with slide rules. They totally nailed it the first time! I'd love to see what could be done with modern materials and computer design.

I use my As in a small room with an NAD 2200 PE amp with 6 dB of headroom. My As have 4 ohm voice coils (late production) so the amp puts out 200 wpc continuous and over 800 wpc peak. It is a nice match for the As because it does not have enough continuous power to blow them, but it has enough dynamic power to avoid clipping.

Other equipment in this system: B&K ST-140 driving Ohm CAM-16s for surrounds, Citation 7.0 pre/pro, Dish 921 satellite receiver, Denon DVD-1600 DVD player, Onkyo Universal changer, Mitsubishi HS-U2000 D-VHS.

As great as the Ohm As are, they are quite limited in their application because of the sensitivity and power handling issues. Though they are huge (that is a 55" TV for scale) they really belong in a small room where they can reach good levels without danger of blowing. I wish they had better efficiency and power handling so I could put them in a bigger room, but for now I have achieved sonic nirvana in the room they are in.

Attachments

• ohma_ak.jpg
    ohma_ak.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 50
Welcome Don, It is nice to see Ohm fans are alive and well.I have been a fan for years and have owned or heard most models.I have heard Grumpy's f's and they do sound wonderful.I have just hooked up my Walsh 5's and they are awsome to say the least.There are alot of misconceptions about these speakers and the proof is in the listening.Until someone hears a good set they cannot fully understand these wonderful speakers.

Don:

Knowing how big my Ohm Fs are and then seeing the Ohm As which are 50% larger, I really get an appreciation of how massive the As really are!

Don is one of the biggest fans of Ohm speakers in the country and he's given me invaluable advise of my pair of Fs. I invited him to Audiokarma because there's no better base of Ohm aficionados on the net than here at Audiokarma!

Now back to enjoying a little Southside Johnny on my Fs.......... :D

Who cares what "naysayers" say.

Anyone want to buy a set of F's :)

grumpy said:
Anyone want to buy a set of F's :)

Grumpy:

I already have a good pair or I would jump on them! ;)

You know if you Ebayed them with a reserve of $750-800 I bet they would go for a lot more considering the condition and work you've put in them.

However considering how mine are sounding (I love the way horns sound on these) I don't know why in the world you're selling them! :tears:

Fred

Switched over to tube amps which don't play nice with the impedance load of the F's.

That and I cannot continue to be a pack rat and keep everything. It pains me to let them go but I know whoever gets them will show them the love they deserve..

The problem with tube amps of that size is distortion. Looks like they got around it with those amps by using some funky design. If im spending 3.5 K for a tube amp its gotta look more like an amp then a computer :screwy:

Grumpy:

Don runs his Fs with a NAD 7175PE receiver which he has had no problems powering them with at all. I kinda wish I had waited for one to become available on Ebay in working condition since it has more dynamic headroom than the NAD C272 I picked up.

Fred

Ohm A

I am the guy with the Ohm As that Fred referred to earlier. Nice to see all the Ohm fans on this site. I've never thought Ohm has ever received their due in the audio world- though for those of us in the know, there is no other way to go!

I have a pair of Ohm Fs in perfect condition as well as my As and I love my Fs dearly. Cosmos summed it up perfectly when he described their sound, the way they make you feel about them, and how the naysayers simply do not know what they are talking about. That said, I can attest that there really isn't any comparison... the Ohm As are in another league altogether from the Ohm F. I bought my As unheard and unseen as a collector's piece because I am an Ohm fan- I did not think they would be practical for home use because of the power requirements, lack of sensitivity as well as the lack of power handling. Of course I was going to try them out when I got them, but I had no idea what I was in for. After I hooked them up I was absolutely and totally stunned. The clarity, the sense of reality, the detail... the totally seamless and smooth sound. The bass is incredibly deep, detailed, and clean... on explosions in movies, it propogates clean waves in the leather covering my sofa! It's unbelievable they were built over 30 years ago and designed with slide rules. They totally nailed it the first time! I'd love to see what could be done with modern materials and computer design.

I use my As in a small room with an NAD 2200 PE amp with 6 dB of headroom. My As have 4 ohm voice coils (late production) so the amp puts out 200 wpc continuous and over 800 wpc peak. It is a nice match for the As because it does not have enough continuous power to blow them, but it has enough dynamic power to avoid clipping.

Other equipment in this system: B&K ST-140 driving Ohm CAM-16s for surrounds, Citation 7.0 pre/pro, Dish 921 satellite receiver, Denon DVD-1600 DVD player, Onkyo Universal changer, Mitsubishi HS-U2000 D-VHS.

As great as the Ohm As are, they are quite limited in their application because of the sensitivity and power handling issues. Though they are huge (that is a 55" TV for scale) they really belong in a small room where they can reach good levels without danger of blowing. I wish they had better efficiency and power handling so I could put them in a bigger room, but for now I have achieved sonic nirvana in the room they are in.
I hope you come back to Audiokarma and share more of your experience with the OHM's the A's vs F's. .

Last edited:
I bought my first pair of F’s in 1975. After blowing them up several times I opted for the Walsh 4 trade in program. I thought the 4’s sounded better in some ways but they clearly lost that F magic.

Fast forward to 2012 and I found a physically excellent pair of F’s that needed to be refurbished.

I sent the drivers to MillerSound and had Bill refurbish them. He removed the hardened clay backing from the titanium section and added several strips of dynamat. He replaced the foam backing on the aluminum section. He replaced the voice coils, surrounds, and spiders.

These new drivers have been performing spectacularly well for several years. I think they sound better than the originals but 35 years is a long time for audible memory. :)

I bought my first pair of F’s in 1975. After blowing them up several times I opted for the Walsh 4 trade in program. I thought the 4’s sounded better in some ways but they clearly lost that F magic.

Fast forward to 2012 and I found a physically excellent pair of F’s that needed to be refurbished.

I sent the drivers to MillerSound and had Bill refurbish them. He removed the hardened clay backing from the titanium section and added several strips of dynamat. He replaced the foam backing on the aluminum section. He replaced the voice coils, surrounds, and spiders.

These new drivers have been performing spectacularly well for several years. I think they sound better than the originals but 35 years is a long time for audible memory. :)

Just to clarify- Bill from Millersound replaced the old, hardened clay with dynamat in its place, and the dynamat is several layers thick? I'm asking because I've had a pair sitting in limbo for years as im afraid to attempt repairs in case I fudge them.

Of course I don't even know how to remove the hardened clay as it seems to be permanently adhered to the titanium.

Lab

Lab,
He placed four 1/2” wide strips of dynamat on the inside of the titanium tweeter section from the voice coil to the where the titanium and aluminum sections are joined together. He said it does a better job of dampening ringing than the old clay did.
Tom

Just to clarify- Bill from Millersound replaced the old, hardened clay with dynamat in its place, and the dynamat is several layers thick? I'm asking because I've had a pair sitting in limbo for years as im afraid to attempt repairs in case I fudge them.

Of course I don't even know how to remove the hardened clay as it seems to be permanently adhered to the titanium.

Lab
I was successful using Starting Fluid on woofers many times it cleans everything here's pics before and after
IMG_20180519_133517867.jpg
IMG_20180515_152404608.jpg
And it was used directly on paper cone.. either evaporates quick and in Not caustic enough to destroy adhesives like brake cleaner and carb cleaner. .. those will Destroy everything !
I bet bill from millersound uses something very similar if not the same thing to get that clay stuff off the cone

Back
Top Bottom