BEWARE...Counterfeit Glass Panels from Taiwan on fleabay

whatadish

there is a user on fleabay selling "nos" glass panels for macs...They are very poor quality and not even the correct size. Like an idiot I actually ordered one as the buyers address is listed in Oregon. Low and behold the first tracking scan came from Taipei...hmmm that was my first tip off. After contacting the seller I got some story of the old uncle who repaired macs for years and has a lot of leftover parts...God I feel so stupid. Second tip was the unorthodox box. Sure enough the glass arrived and I immediately could tell the weight difference. 3\32 thickness and almost 1/4 inch too short. So I got burned good here and my hope is that this will get around fast enough to save others my aggravation and lack of patience. I have contacted Gail at McIntosh labs already.

Thanks for your report. This wouldn't be a problem if McIntosh increased glass production or allowed legitimate 3rd party producers.
But it's good to hear about your experience so people can look out.

Saying that's "poor quality" is an insult to inferior knockoffs everywhere! Having the dial markings partially cut off by the mounting holes is a nice touch though ...

And ya - not sure what the time limits are, but I'm sure you can get your money back, and thanx for the heads up. The old adage - if it looks to good to be true, it probably is!

there is a user on fleabay selling "nos" glass panels for macs...They are very poor quality and not even the correct size. Like an idiot I actually ordered one as the buyers address is listed in Oregon. Low and behold the first tracking scan came from Taipei...hmmm that was my first tip off. After contacting the seller I got some story of the old uncle who repaired macs for years and has a lot of leftover parts...God I feel so stupid. Second tip was the unorthodox box. Sure enough the glass arrived and I immediately could tell the weight difference. 3\32 thickness and almost 1/4 inch too short. So I got burned good here and my hope is that this will get around fast enough to save others my aggravation and lack of patience. I have contacted Gail at McIntosh labs already.

File a claim through eBay and you’ll get your money back.

Looks like no McIntosh logo which is how they got around a trademark infringement situation, but counterfeit is counterfeit even if not in the true legal sense and maybe the lack of logo doesn't matter legally as a design/trade dress is being copied.

Good to know. I'll keep this in mind tho I've been using McIntosh for all my glass thus far (well radiodaze for one instance too)

I was suspect this with a 6100 I recently picked up. The lettering seems much darker when the unit is off compared to a 2205. When it’s on I see four little squares in front of the bulbs as in the pic. Any ideas on this?
E9BA4447-8F82-4974-AE9E-4BCD48FABD62.jpeg 2A795E83-BDB4-45BE-A3E5-B72C160B2F4F.jpeg

My guess is that the squares are the locations where the lamps sit. The lighting is directed by the screened clear plastic sheet under the glass. The squares are some heat absorbing material. Apparently the black paint in the area around the squares is not opaque enough.

Back
Top Bottom