Not many mid-century floor speaker users around here?

The L100 cabinet is 25" tall. A 15" stand would take that to 40" making the tweeter height about 38", which is in normal ear height range. If you are standing up listening to your music consider hanging your speakers from the ceiling, but don't expect to get the same performance as a properly set up pair of speakers.

Vintage Corvettes are popular and sell for a lot of money. However, compared to a new one their performance is most definitely sub-par.
On the ground and tilted works just fine.

Maybe now you see what I mean when I say that there are many large bookshelf speakers in high demand.

But not the squat console floor type speakers.

Yet both have low WAF.

I have a pair of "marketed" bookshelf speakers that weigh in at 55lbs each and are 27" tall! I seriously doubt if I, (anyway), could build a bookshelf to securely hold them.

I realize it’s only a sample of one, but all three of my main systems use floor standing speakers: home-built double advents, ESS 7s, and Mirage OM-10s. The advents use a sub since they are in a home theater system, the Mirage pair use a sub to fill out the bottom octave, and the ESS 7s run alone on tube power.

Baaah sample of one:biggrin:. I think it is time that the OP realizes that the premise of his thread is in complete error. His head is in his proverbial floor speaker poop-place. He doesn’t know consoles from his bookshelf’s :rolleyes:.

Just keeping it fun:jump:.
But, really, what a waste of time! Ahh Sunday evenings.

Baaah sample of one:biggrin:. I think it is time that the OP realizes that the premise of his thread is in complete error. His head is in his proverbial floor speaker poop-place. He doesn’t know consoles from his bookshelf’s :rolleyes:.

Console to one is floor to another. Floor to one is tower to another.

The premise is this.......the speakers I posted pics of are largely is LOW demand, easy to find, perform well and do not have the flaws of smaller bookshelf type speakers. Am I really in error?

I think I could have muddied the waters even more had I mentioned that I have two mono tube consoles acting as stands for one of the stereos. :beatnik: A dual-turntable RCA and a Cobra-Matic Zenith.

Console to one is floor to another. Floor to one is tower to another.

The premise is this.......the speakers I posted pics of are largely is LOW demand, easy to find, perform well and do not have the flaws of smaller bookshelf type speakers. Am I really in error?

Low demand! Half of us here would love to have some giant late 60s JBL loaded cabs!
If these are cast-offs in your neck of the woods, then scoop them up, truck them over and make 10x your money.

Your errors: not in low demand in Audio circles, not easy to find.

Speaking in such generalizations is rife with errors.

Greetings
I have a few floor standing speakers, because I have my own listening space (small room off the garage). No way they would be acceptable in the living space. I have a pair of XP18 that require repair (post, tweeters, perhaps capacitors); I have not listened to them yet. What is your experience with the XP18?

Low demand! Half of us here would love to have some giant late 60s JBL loaded cabs!
If these are cast-offs in your neck of the woods, then scoop them up, truck them over and make 10x your money.

Your errors: not in low demand in Audio circles, not easy to find.

Speaking in such generalizations is rife with errors.
Half of us would like them, but we are an infinitesimal percentage of the music listening population of the world, half of us is an even smaller percentage. When those JBL Olympus speakers come up for sale, they take a looong time to actually sell. They command a high price (relatively) and most end up parting them out and dumping the cabs because nobody ends up buying them whole for the asking price. The Fisher, Mcintosh etc. have a much lower price and take even longer to sell.

They are easy to find in that if you search, you will find many options because they are such slow movers. Vintage audio junky circles that will take them into their house are small crowds.

I think more than the usual percentage have floor speakers in this particular sample size. The general population doesn't even have SPEAKERS these days, at least in the traditional sense of the word. But we have plenty. And over 80% of my speaker sets are floor speakers. Yamaha NS-690ii and DefTech BP 2002 and Hornshoppe "The Horn" and some others my wife doesn't know about. :)

I think more than the usual percentage have floor speakers in this particular sample size. The general population doesn't even have SPEAKERS these days, at least in the traditional sense of the word. But we have plenty. And over 80% of my speaker sets are floor speakers. Yamaha NS-690ii and DefTech BP 2002 and Hornshoppe "The Horn" and some others my wife doesn't know about. :)
None of those are the kind of speakers we were talking about.

See the pic...

This is what we are talking about.

You count as one of those here that don't have them considering the list you provided.

Attachments

• xp18.jpg
    xp18.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 17
What is your experience with the XP18?

I have demoed them.

I really liked the sound.

I just don't have a good room for them, so I had to pass on them.

They were for sale for $600 by the way, original owner.

Last edited:
Can't say that I do.

Dude, all speakers have a low WAF.

But smaller ones have higher WAF, still low but higher. My 82 year old dad had to hide his Klipsch above the TV on shelves behind some shutter-like doors. No more speakers on the floor in that house. Good on me though, he gave me some of his old stuff, not great stuff but I got some small 1960s Altec speakers due to WAF. They are ugle-leeeee but turn off the lights and turn them on and they look great.

None of those are the kind of speakers we were talking about.

See the pic...

This is what we are talking about.

You count as one of those here that don't have them considering the list you provided.

Ahhhhhh! I see. When the title said "floor speakers" I assumed it meant speakers that go on the floor vs a shelf or stand. You said floor OR console speakers. Plus, I think that some, let's call them "regular stereo floor speakers" might have similar volumes to the ones you are specifically talking about.

Ahhhhhh! I see. When the title said "floor speakers" I assumed it meant speakers that go on the floor vs a shelf or stand. You said floor OR console speakers. Plus, I think that some, let's call them "regular stereo floor speakers" might have similar volumes to the ones you are specifically talking about.
The particular kind of speaker I started the thread asking about does not have a name specific to it that everyone will recognize. I started out calling them console speakers because thats what I always see them called. Well, I got complaints that they are not console speakers but rather floor speakers. Now many read the title but not the thread and assume what you assumed.

Why are speakers like the ones I posted pics of in such low demand relative to bookshelf type speakers?

Real estate--price per sq/ft in terms of renting/building/buying a place to live is a lot more than it used to be. Space comes at a premium price, and we have a lot more "toys" to clutter up what space that is available.

Mobility--"back in the day", you took a job, built/bought/inherited a home and lived there for the rest of your days--maybe moved once or twice in your lifetime. Now people change jobs/careers and relocate as often as they change their socks. Moving every couple years with a few 100lb+ speakers the size of a dresser becomes far too much of a burden for most people.

Many of them don't sell for much, indicating that demand is low. They are fairly easy to find, indicating that the supply is there.

Unless it is a highly desireable or "iconic" speaker, big speakers are a "local sale only" sort of item. If the immediate local market is not there, then the prices have to be reduced for them to sell, because shipping rapidly becomes cost-prohibitive. And again--refer to the above comment--there aren't that many people willing or able to commit the amount of real-estate required for large speakers.

For every one floor speaker owned by an AKer, there are probably 75 bookshelf speakers.

You are probably quite correct. I own 3 pair of large floorstanders for my main systems in a dedicated listening space, but all of the secondary systems--living room, office, bedrooms, shop, use smaller speakers. Partly out of space considerations, and mostly because these are not intended to be "rock the house" systems in those rooms--I have a dedicated space for that.

The particular kind of speaker I started the thread asking about does not have a name specific to it that everyone will recognize. I started out calling them console speakers because thats what I always see them called. Well, I got complaints that they are not console speakers but rather floor speakers. Now many read the title but not the thread and assume what you assumed.

Really? "Floor Speaker" is the designation for the 50's and 60's (70s?) furniture style speakers? I would think a qualifier like "Vintage" or "Mid-Century" would make it more clear because to say that the term "floor speaker" is specific to the furniture style speaker you are talking about is to ignore about 30 or 40 years of "floor speaker vs bookshelf speaker" that is what likely has everyone confuzzeld. Perhaps making a specific distinction between what you are calling a FLOOR SPEAKER and what others assume (like me) which I guess is officially a FLOOR STANDING SPEAKER?

I dunno. It's a confusing title.

Back
Top Bottom