Not many mid-century floor speaker users around here?

I don't pay attention to old book size speakers any more. I have ten of the usual pair. They're good, but most come with big compromises. The large old console speakers stand a better chance of serving up the bass that's expected without as many limitations.
Lots of people have and use them. Many more would like to, and even more have no knowledge of them. The old very good console size speakers are available but also can be pricey. Old, big and well built doesn't always mean good.
There's plenty of demand for the good ones. And every time a driver fails the demand increases.

I think this is as good a name as there is.

Yep, I think if you title the thread "Mid Century Floor Speakers" then the image of very large furniture like speakers is what comes up in most folks' brains and then YES... your initial premise is 100% on target. Because very few have those.

Nope, and for one good reason. They look OLD, the design is so dated that most people now wouldn't want them in their house. But hey if that's your style go for it. And that is coming from someone who likes big speakers.

Nope, and for one good reason. They look OLD, the design is so dated that most people now wouldn't want them in their house. But hey if that's your style go for it. And that is coming from someone who likes big speakers.
What about from a performance standpoint?

Looks aside.

How do they perform in your opinion?

Console to one is floor to another. Floor to one is tower to another.

The premise is this.......the speakers I posted pics of are largely is LOW demand, easy to find, perform well and do not have the flaws of smaller bookshelf type speakers. Am I really in error?

Oh my!!!! I’m bored tonight.

You’ve changed so much since the inception of this thread... do you have any idea of what YOUR opinion is, or what your assertion is? I don’t. I’ve read this whole shebang, and I’m puzzled. You passed on some XP giants because you didn’t have the room, yet you are asking why big speakers aren’t more popular... :wtf:

You’ve changed so much since the inception of this thread... do you have any idea of what YOUR opinion is, or what your assertion is? I don’t. I’ve read this whole shebang, and I’m puzzled. You passed on some XP giants because you didn’t have the room, yet you are asking why big speakers aren’t more popular.
Conversations evolve. Fact of life.

I passed on the XP18 because getting them would mean getting rid of other speakers and it was not worth it at the time. I liked them though.

My opinion has not changed: They perform well and are not prone to the shortcomings of bookshelf speakers.

The only thing that has really changed is the title because I wasn't sure what to call them and I was not alone.

You’ve changed so much since the inception of this thread... do you have any idea of what YOUR opinion is, or what your assertion is? I don’t. I’ve read this whole shebang, and I’m puzzled. You passed on some XP giants because you didn’t have the room, yet you are asking why big speakers aren’t more popular... :wtf:
/thread.

I have to agree with all of this, the OP is constantly editing titles and the OP it makes the reader not know what the hell is going on. The start of the thread was responding to the first version, then it change two more times since.

Then to ask why rare speakers are not popular. The JBL c50 are around 30" high, 37" wide and 28" deep, costing at least $7000 these days if you find a pair. Then shipping something like that is at least a grand. All the wile the OP has a room the size of a closet to set up in.

Don't quote my measurements, thay are close enough for this thread

The start of the thread was responding to the first version, then it change two more times since.

I called them console speakers, then floor speakers because you insisted that is what they are called, then mid century which is the best name for them.

We were talking about the SAME THING the entire time, just changed the title in an attempt to make it more clear as to what kind of speaker I was talking about is all. There were no "versions"....

Ok well if you think they are extinct these days, nope. :deal:

YH5KFoJl.jpg

f8NCOJZl.jpg

Then to ask why rare speakers are not popular. The JBL c50 are around 30" high, 37" wide and 28" deep, costing at least $7000 these days if you find a pair. Then shipping something like that is at least a grand. All the wile the OP has a room the size of a closet to set up in.

Don't quote my measurements, thay are close enough for this thread

Ebay advanced "sold listings" shows nothing sold, just parts.

Ebay active listings for the JBL Olympus has 2 pairs for sale at about $5500 obo. And one auction....$780 with 15hrs left.

I have a room that is 750 sq feet to set up in, however, it is occupied with other speakers I don't want to get rid of.

The one adding confusion to this thread is you. First, with calling these speakers floor speakers (and me actually believing you), then the value of them being way off.

maybe not what every apartment dweller is doing but, I had these in an apartment along with not one, but two Danley DTS-10 subwoofers. I never let it rip.... was always respectful of my neighbors so nobody even had a clue what was in there unless they saw me carrying it in or out.

Living in an apartment does not have to be an impediment to good sound (maybe loud, but not good)

Love it!! :thumbsup:

Why are we arguing semantics so much.

The guy tried to get the title right to avoid confusion. Great! Let's just answer the question.

I don't think the performance of mid century floor speakers (most of them) will deliver the modern sound most people are accustomed to in systems from the 70's and later. That's not to say there are some examples from the 50's and 60's that sound very good, for example Quad speakers or old Tannoy speakers. I wouild think that a pair of either one of those despite being designed for mono use would be pretty darn good as a stereo set. But I'm just speculating as I've never heard them.

However, I HAVE heard a few examples of mid-century floor "furniture" speakers and I've never been impressed. I remember them always sounding boomy with no real high end.

Back
Top Bottom