If only they'd start up again..

steveUK

It's tantalising to think that although Sansui only exists as a manufacturer of TVs now, the fact is, it does exist and it would be wonderful if they'd dip their toe into the high end hifi/audio market again. Will it ever happen? A lot of water has passed under the bridge since they pulled out of hifi, maybe the time is right for a revival, or are people happy with their MP3 players and surround sound systems?

What's your view?

It's a really nice thought but wishful thinking really, as I think very little, if any, of the old spirit and dedication still exists, certainly not enough to restart Sansui as a going concern. The public appetite for the kind of products they produced has slowed to a trickle, a trickle which is just about serviced by the restoration and cherishing of their surviving vintage masterpieces. Progressively these items are getting damaged and lost for one reason or another as the Sansui HiFi legacy gradually slips away.

Last edited:
I think you've pretty much nailed it there John. But it would be a nice thought if they did a short run 'revival series' complete with wooden side panels. Dream on..

But hey, look on the bright side - there are thousands of Sansui's out there with so many in good hands. And the harder it seems to restore them the more determined, concerted and inventive the efforts are to revive them. :)

Last edited:
Not likely--that talent is long gone--they have been out of the audio business for ~15 years at this point, and they are another brand owned by a Chinese holding company (same company also owns Akai and a few others). Too much money to get back in, and not enough market to justify the expense.

I just can't see it. Most of the reasons it won't happen have been given upthread, but the biggest issues.(aside from lack of market to justify making the kind of gear Sansui was once famous for) are that the talent and knowledge of the engineers and designers has been scattered about or lost outright.

The expertise In transformer manufacture that Sansui began with has been ensconced in Hashimoto Electric. From my understanding some of the design/engineering staff landed at Aqua Audio Labs. I'd imagine many retired by now given the time since Sansui Electric Co., Ltd. ceased doing business.

And then there is the issue of all the intellectual property, the design documentation and plans for their greatest amplifiers and even for parts like the proprietary output transistors. No idea what became of all that, or if it was even preserved in some form by another business entity. If it was taken out of Sansui's old headquarters and chucked in the dumpster, recreating the Sansui sound may well be almost impossible without at least the knowledge of key staff, assuming they are still even available and willing to share such knowledge towards the creation of a new product line.

To the now limited extent there is a high end audio market, that torch has been passed to other outfits, some are familiar like McIntosh and Marantz, others are boutique brands that most people without an interest in hi-fi couldn't even name. Given the fragmentation of the high end market and how much smaller it is now than the 1970's (or even the 90's when Sansui still existed) there's just no case to be made for successful reemergence of the marque as a maker of fine audio gear.

All the more so since the name has been sullied by two decades of cheap TVs, DVD players and the like. The current offerings under the Sansui name may not be junk, but they are - at best - very average, low cost consumer electronics of the discount store variety. This has had the effect of associating the Sansui name with disposable electronics in the public mind; excepting those of us who are preserving the legacy they created many years ago.

Most people now won't think of an AU-919 or QRX-9001 when they hear or see "Sansui", they'll think of the used Tv"s being offered for $75 on craigslist, or the DVD player that only lasted a couple of years and had to be replaced because it stopped working. This has damaged the brand in a way that would be very difficult to recover from especially in a very tight market.

Creating the kind of image and reputation Sansui once cultivated takes years or even decades, yet it can be vaporized in a shockingly short timespan. Once so damaged, it can be difficult to regain the public trust. See General Motors for a case study in this effect, among many other major corporations/brand identities that have done terrible damage to themselves over a long time span.

They're gone. You're not going to re-engage the team that brought you the wonderful equipment of the 60's and 70's. At best, there might be a few team members who were responsible for some of the plastic black faced stuff from the 80's.

bs

An attempt was made in the UK to market a range of gear under the Sansui brand name but that ended after disputes about who actually owned the rights to the Sansui name.
By all accounts the gear was ok and we'll received by the press and versions of it are still sold under the Mitchell & Johnson name.
If your looking for somebody to make products to the same standards as stuff from the seventies, it ain't going to happen.

If your looking for somebody to make products to the same standards as stuff from the seventies, it ain't going to happen.

Partially true. The "big boys" like Pioneer, Yamaha, and Sony that didn't let their name go totally to hell still produce some nice stuff in their TOTL models, and true quality is still out there from the likes of Krell, ARC, Levinson, McIntosh, Pass, and a host of other "boutique" companies, but the prices rapidly get out of reach of the average person. "Mass-market" stuff is never going to return to where it once was.

Ahhh what might of been had they survived...

Sony, Pioneer and Yamaha managed to struggle through the BPC era through diversification and some retention of quality in their "flagship" TOTL models. Sansui, Kenwood, and Fisher were late to the game in terms of diversification, and let their names get splattered all over K-Mart and other "discount" outlets with nothing but garbage associated with them. That is damage done that I don't think any of them can recover from--even if they tried.

To be clear, what Sansui did is rather opposite to what is being stated in this thread. If anything, their fault was sticking to hi-end, 2-channel audio, right to the end, contrary to commonly held notion that Sansui failed due to selling lesser products.

When they (they = Sansui employees) were making products they never produced much junk. And, in fact towards the late 80s near 'the end' they actually doubled-down on manufacturing hi-end product lines such as the alpha series. And this hi-end push lasted into the last 90s and early 2000s (ending with the Alpha607NRAII if I'm not mistaken) right up until they closed.

Everything that was done after that, was not done by Sansui; there were no longer any Sansui employees. Sansui was formally closed for business and never made another product after that alpha series era. The name was used merely as an umbrella brand for cheap products made by other companies. This may seem a small distinction, but I expect not to the proud Sansui employees.

Again, I think it is worth emphasizing that while Sansui was making products they took pride in them until the very end. What happened after Sansui closed has nothing to do with any Sansui employees, and the idea that they 'let their name go totally to hell' is maybe not fair to the proud Sansui employees.

Well that's the way I chose to remember it; Sansui going done in flames, in proud admiration of the left over parts of the late efforts, like Alpha series feet weighing in at 1.2kg per set of four :) :) :)

Last edited:
Partially true, however the real Sansui had already decontented their product and reputation by the late 1980's by making a lot of substandard plastic gear. Admittedly, this could be seen as a necessary move down-market as the public demand for hifi and changing economic conditions made the continued mass-production of the type of gear that made them legendary impractical.

While the high end product line remained extant, it was reserved for the Japanese domestic market, as Sansui had pulled out of North America and other [previously] major export markets by the early 90's. There was demand for the type of high end amps Sansui was offering in the JDM, but still not enough to make it a profitable endeavor. Since the mass-market gear is where the profits are made, and they abandoned the mass market, they were doomed from that point onward.

Those who carried on the tradition of true hifi at Sansui until it's closure are worthy of admiration for their efforts, but regrettably they were simply coasting over the edge of a cliff by pursuing these "vanity" projects that couldn't be counted on to make the company profitable. Maybe that's all they could do under the circumstances, or perhaps there was some hope of reestablishing the brand on a larger scale at some point, and they simply ran out of time and money to bring such plans to fruition.

A distinction is made, of course, between the real Sansui of pre 2000 or so, versus the use of the name by different corporate owners who took it on after Sansui Electric Co. Ltd. closed up. I don't know the exact circumstances of the closure, whether it was an orderly wind-down, or if a bankruptcy/liquidation took place, but it doesn't really matter as that was the end of Sansui as those of us here think of it.

What came after was the fate of so many previously admired brands. The name came to be used on on cheap stuff with no relation to the original company to try and capitalize on the former well earned reputation it held. Eventually, this business practice destroys the good reputation so that even the name has little residual value. That's where it stands now.

I really see no way they could ever come back, as the first step would be for a group of interested and well fudned investors to buy back the rights to the name, which would be quite costly I'm sure. Then a new company would need to be established and staffed to start design and manufacture. Since little of the staff that worked at Sansui when it closed almost 20 years ago now would likely be available or interested in returning (I would guess many are retired now simply due to age) who would pickup where the last designs left off?

A tall order especially if the detailed design data for the last generation of amps has been lost to history. With enough effort they could be recreated and improved on, but there is simply no reason for it now, as the type of market needed to sustain such an operation doesn't exist. When even a well diversified big player like Pioneer has pulled back from that segment of the market, it just isn't worth pursuing.

The original Sansui left a legacy of exceptional gear, with build quality that ensured longevity well beyond what would be expected of consumer electronics. That has contributed to a continuing interest in - and a healthy market for - the gear they made from the late 50's until their demise as a going concern.

There's a LOT of gear out there, really almost a startling amount, considering how long it's been since these units were made and how disposable our society is (speaking from an American perspective in any case) so we can continue to restore and enjoy what was done decades ago. And that will have to be good enough, as the conditions under which that gear was created will never exist again by any means I can see from a 2018 point of view.

Last edited:
Partially true, however the real Sansui had already decontented their product and reputstion by the late 1980's by making a lot of substandard plastic gear. Admittedly, this could.be seen as a necessary move down-market as the public demand for hifi and changing economic conditions made the continued mass-production of the type of gear that made them legendary impractical.

While the high end product line remained extant, it was reserved for the Japanese domestic market, as Sansui had pulled out of North America and other [previously] major export markets by the early 90's. There was demand for the type of high end amps Sansui was offering in the JDM, but still not enough to make it a profitable endeavor. Since the mass-market gear is we're the profits are made, and they abandoned the mass market, they were doomed from that point onward.

Those who carried on the tradition of true hifi at Sansui until it's closure are worthy of admiration for their efforts, but regrettably they were simply coasting over the edge of a cliff by pursuing these "vanity" projects that couldn't be counted on to make the company profitable. Maybe that's all they could do under the circumstances, or perhaps there was some hope of reestablishing the brand on a larger scale at some point, and they simply ran out of time and money to bring such plans to fruition.

A distinction is made, of course, between the real Sansui of pre 2000 or so, versus the use of the name by different corporate owners who took it on after Sansui Electric Co. Ltd. closed up. I don't know the exact circumstances of the closure, whether it was an orderly wind-down, or if a bankruptcy/liquidation. took place, but it doesn't really matter as that was the end of Sansui as those of us here think of it.

What came after was the fate of so many previously admired brands. The name came to be used on on cheap stuff with no relation to the original company to try and capitalize on the former well earned reputation it held. Eventually, this business practice destroys the good reputation so that even the name has little residual value. That's where it stands now.

I really see no way they could ever come back, as the first step would be for a group of interested and well fudned investors to buy back the rights to the name, which would be quite costly I'm sure. Then a new company would need to be established and staffed to start design and manufacture. Since little of the staff that worked at Sansui when it closed almost 20 years ago now would likely be available or interested in returning (I would guess many are retired now simply due to age) who would pickup where the last designs left off? A tall order especially if the detailed design data for the last generation of amps has been lost to history. With enough effort they could be recreated and improved on, but there is simply no reason for it now, as the type of market needed to sustain such an operation doesn't exist. When even a well diversified big player like Pioneer has pulled back from that segment of the market, it just isn't worth pursuing.

The original Sansui left a legacy of exceptional gear, with build quality that ensured longevity well beyond what would be expected of consumer electronics. That has contributed to a continuing interest in - and a healthy market for - the gear they made from the late 50's until their demise as a going concern.

There's a LOT of gear out there, really almost a startling amount, considering how long it's been since these units were made and how disposable our society is (speaking from an American perspective in any case) so we can continue to restore and enjoy what was done decades ago. And that will have to be good enough, as the conditions under which that gear was created will never exist again by any means I can see from a 2018 point of view.

Many good points. My understanding was that the hi end domestic line was an effort to revive the brand rather than a deliberate farewell.

They're gone. You're not going to re-engage the team that brought you the wonderful equipment of the 60's and 70's. At best, there might be a few team members who were responsible for some of the plastic black faced stuff from the 80's.

I had mentioned this in my previous post--that the talent that brought us the "great" Sansui gear is long gone--scattered to the wind, or (at this point), probably retired or dead.

Sansui never really appeared to have any specific famous "lead designers"--it was a team effort. There was no Nelson Pass, Bob Carver, Dan D'Agostino, Henry Kloss, Arnie Nudell, or Paul W Klipsch, etc. whose specific names are associated with the gear/designs that resulted from their work. Even today, we associate certain Pioneer and ELAC speakers with Andrew Jones. Sansui never had (or at least never promoted the fact of having) an outstanding leader/innovator like that. If they did, they downplayed the individual over the strength of the team.

A lot of those "big names" either jumped ship when the bean counters got control, were pulled away to other companies, or grabbed a bunch of their support staff and set out on their own. My knowledge of Sansui history is far from complete, but I have never really seen a specific name or names associated with their flagship gear. Someone please correct me if I missed out on someone specifically noteworthy from the old Sansui days--I'll have to look them up.

Someone please correct me if I missed out on someone specifically noteworthy from the old Sansui days--I'll have to look them up.
I seem to remember having seen a couple of names which escape at the moment, being the lead innovators in Sansui amplifier design, we need someone like @bluesky to shed some light on this.

I seem to remember having seen a couple of names which escape at the moment, being the lead innovators in Sansui amplifier design, we need someone like @bluesky to shed some light on this.

Some names came up but its true sansui was more a team effort. I am sure other brands were too, but marketing is useful.

Takahashi and Tanaka had a famous JAES 1981 paper on super feedforward. Not sure who did xbalance. Some other names came up right at the end such as the chaps at Aqua Labs (all I have heard things are coming to an end there...). But true, no household names. Still i think sansui, with its diamond diff, xbalance, super feedforward, was a standout circuit design company.

This brings up the question, was Sansui not as good at marketing as the others?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom