Did Speakerlab destroy the value of Klipschorns?

These days I see many classic speakers changing hands and the Klipschorn stands out as one that isn't really fetching the high dollars.

Am I wrong in my perception that Speakerlab's effort to make a clone and demystify the Klipschorn might have something to do with it?
Excepting maybe in the Seattle area, I don't think so. I think it's more WAF, the bulkiness, the need for corners, and deteriorated finishes, not to mention the impracticality and expense of shipping, making the market local-only.
I too, don't consider klipschorns inexpensive at all! At least not unless you are comparing them to the outrageously overpriced boutique speakers out there, of which there is certainly no shortage. $12000 to $15000? That's crazy loudspeaker bucks in my part of the world.
The OP is wondering why used ones don't hold their value. Gigantic speakers are hard to sell these days, especially if they are not new, or almost new.

People still seek out the Khorn. Sold my handsome 1976 pair over CL, for just over three grand, though it took a few months. I got one reply, and it was the only one needed. Just takes awhile to find the right buyer near enough geographically to come pick them up. I don't believe the Speakerlabs have anything to do with it - WAF, size, availability, price, weight and shipping are much greater factors.

Just takes awhile to find the right buyer near enough geographically to come pick them up. I don't believe the Speakerlabs have anything to do with it - WAF, size, availability, price, weight and shipping are much greater factors.

I agree. This rings true for pretty much any large-format speaker. They are basically a "local sale only" item, and you have to find the "right" buyer to actually get any money out of them. This is further confounded by the manufacturer's distribution network at the time they were new. Manufacturers had a tendency to focus their dealer networks regionally, so certain areas of the country are "littered" with a given brand/model, but they are extremely rare in others--this greatly affects "market value".

I don't think Speakerlab had any influence on the "value" of real K-horns, but they are plagued with all of the above-listed factors that affect all large-format speakers in these "modern" times.

HI, tom I don't know who the gentleman you speak of, is. I've got lots of nice speakers. My dream speaker is the Khorn, I don't see me dropping 5 k on a set of speakers. I do see me spending 1500 an adding all the good parts, not already their. Hence the speaker labs I'm purchasing.

Their is so little info on the speaker lab Khorns, which is why I'm inquiring here. I've got six. Cornwalls and eight Herasey's in the collection.

I run here in my house a couple sets of Warfdale w90s and w70s. Plus a set of vanderteens c2 s in a back bedroom. All thru Either HH Scott, tube amp, or David Bernings zh 270 amp and tf-10 pre amp, or a Quicksilver intigrated tube unit.

To clarify I'm the FNG around here, our friends here have taught me alot in a relitively short period of time, hence my list of partial gear.above, all killer gear for MY needs

I've got Conrad Johnson gear, ST70 tub amps, pre amps and tuners.

And some Stromberg Carlsen tube gear and Jeanmarie recently sold me a matching SC tube tuner in like new condition.

I like odd ball stuff, and I'm trying to figure out what amp pre amp gear to run with the speaker lab
Khorns. For some reason I feel like I'm getting over on the real Khorns guys with the purchase of the mentioned speakers.

Sorry, I suffer from chronic lower back pain,,,, yesterday was a monster pain day, please except my apology, I initially didn't recognize that you were actuall educating me.

Dirk Williams

Speakerlab Ks are great. I had both Klipsch Khorns and Ks. I sold the Khorns and kept the Ks. I bought a pair of K33 woofers to put in them, but I haven't gotten around to it. The stock woofers sound fine. Maybe someday I'll get around to it.

@Dirk Willims Don't let anyone "poo-poo" your Speakerlab K's. Quality components and an historical design, but no Klipsch badge, does NOT make them just a cheap "knock-off". Pretty much all of the Klipsch "Heritage" line of speakers have been around (with minimal updates) for ~70 years. A couple sheets of plywood, one phone call to Bob Crites and a few hours of my time, and I can have K-horns sitting in my shop waiting to pick a stain or veneer--and with 70 years of evolution under the bridge, there are no doubt "improvements" to be made (if you so choose). Run with it--have fun!

One of the reasons used Klipschorn prices are reasonable, is the fact they're still being manufactured 70+ years after they were introduced. Yup, you can get brand new Klipschorns.

I've had a pair of Speakerlab K's for around 15 years. K-Horns were on my bucket list but that wasn't going to happen. With EV HR90 mid horns with the original mid drivers and EV ST350 tweeter horns and recapped crossovers my quest for audio nirvana ended !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JOHN

I agree. This rings true for pretty much any large-format speaker. They are basically a "local sale only" item, and you have to find the "right" buyer to actually get any money out of them. This is further confounded by the manufacturer's distribution network at the time they were new. Manufacturers had a tendency to focus their dealer networks regionally, so certain areas of the country are "littered" with a given brand/model, but they are extremely rare in others--this greatly affects "market value".

I don't think Speakerlab had any influence on the "value" of real K-horns, but they are plagued with all of the above-listed factors that affect all large-format speakers in these "modern" times.

"Savatage"? As in the precursor to TSO? I'm boyocotting Christmas this year with no TSO tour........

Well, which company survived? The K-Horns lack of higher value is mostly based on the difficulty, IMO, of finding them and getting them (transport usually). Couple that with sometimes not being the best sounding (without a lot of modification) and you have speakers that not many people have seen or heard, so the demand isn't as high as others. Compared to the JBL L100 for example, the # of K-horns is small compared to the #of L100's sold, heard, and perhaps easier to acquire or be nostalgic about.

I don't think Speakerlab destroyed the value, but just made it a bit more accessible for some. But ultimately, Speakerlab didn't survive, so marketing and sales weren't enough for them to stay in business.
My first nice sounding speakers were JBL L100's purchased in 1972. I then acquired all the parts from SpeakerLab in 1977 to build a pair of Super K's and made the cabinets in my dad's garage. The Super K's had EV T350's instead of T35's like the Klipschorn uses. The midrange driver is also superior making the SpeakerLab K's sound Better than stock Klipsch. I still have the L100's and now have two pair of Super K's but they are now in my heated shop where the room is large enough to accommodate them. The L100's are my rear surround's with 2 JBL 8340 center channel speakers. Each speaker has a 300 watt amp and separate preamps controlling them. I would have replaced them years ago if I thought there was something that sounded better.

Maybe the Klipsch Jubilee Flagship 2-Way Fully Horn-Loaded Loudspeaker – American Walnut

(EACH) $17,999.00 (Not today :-) Two of my wives wanted me to get rid of the K's. They are gone but I still have the speakers!

Attachments

• PXL_20240222_212639022.jpg
    PXL_20240222_212639022.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20231123_223634900.jpg
    PXL_20231123_223634900.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I don't know if you're right or wrong....but one reason for the thought of Khorns going inexpensive....could simply be their size and dealing with the wife.
this, along with their placement- they require big rooms and corners. They're over 2-1/2 feet wide, 28 feet deep and 50" tall and if you don't have corners to place them in tightly, they won't sound their best. That's a tall order for most rooms and wives... my s/o only tolerates my LaScala clones (they're only slightly smaller than K-horns at 24" x 24"x44") because they sound good and I built them myself. if I'd bought a pair and brought them home, she would not have been pleased.

Back
Top Bottom