Net Streams vs. CD's

Pretty sure you're wrong about that e-stat. I do believe @Audiofreak71 has a full throttle Qobuz Studio trial sub.
The only way is if he is part of the limited beta plan. Actual release is scheduled for early 2019.

I have a login but am unable to subscribe to any plan as of today.

Go for FLAC; still completely bit true to the CD, but 40% smaller, and better metadata support.
Nope. too many problems with devices playing it. (I've tried flac) I rip wavs and then encode mp3's for portable devices. But never get rid of the wavs.

Trust me on this, I've been at it for more then a few years.

Yep. He slipped through the door on a soft rollout. I'm sure he can send you a screenshot if you'd like.
I'm only concerned with what is readily available. In full production mode.

I can wait until the real rollout. It was rumored to occur at RMAF but that didn't happen.

Nope. too many problems with devices playing it. (I've tried flac)
What kinds of problems?

I don't share any challenges even with 192/24 content distributed over WiFi via FLAC. Even inexpensive Raspberry PI based players with 64 bit quad core processors consume only 2-4% CPU cycle time decompressing the bitstream.

Yep. He slipped through the door on a soft rollout. I'm sure he can send you a screenshot if you'd like.
Yes you are correct, I somehow slipped in for the full Monty that Qobuz has to offer , so like believe I stated in my thread about Qobuz , if there’s any info anyone would like before it arrives permanently in the states feel free to ask and I’ll let you know everything I can .

Audiofreak71

Yes you are correct, I somehow slipped in for the full Monty that Qobuz has to offer , so like believe I stated in my thread about Qobuz , if there’s any info anyone would like before it arrives permanently in the states feel free to ask and I’ll let you know everything I can .

Audiofreak71
Which of the three tiers do you have?

What kinds of problems?

I don't share any challenges even with 192/24 content distributed over WiFi via FLAC. Even inexpensive Raspberry PI based players with 64 bit quad core processors consume only 2-4% CPU cycle time decompressing the bitstream.
oh various usb or sdcard based portable mp3 players have issues, as do many car stereo head units, even though specs say they'll play flac. my experience has been more 'not' then 'will'
Computers, where you have controll of them always work, it's just a matter of getting the codec installed, but 'embedded' devices not so much.

So, after being burned numerous times. (too numerous to count matter of fact) I've stuck with Wavs and mp3s for portable devices. nearly every portable device can read vbr mp3s now. (that also was a sore spot for many years)

I guess I'm a little different. Buying any portable device that doesn't play FLAC files is out of the question for me. My current portable device (AGPTek Rocker 2) does FLAC and dsd/dsf files. The Sansa ClipZip it replaced also did FLAC files.

I guess I'm a little different. Buying any portable device that doesn't play FLAC files is out of the question for me. My current portable device (AGPTek Rocker 2) does FLAC and dsd/dsf files. The Sansa ClipZip it replaced also did FLAC files.

Portable is the main reason I stream. Tidal Masters from my laptop in my hotel room and HiFi from my phone or Kindle, all three into my TEAC HP DAC/Amp. I do have about 1500 just in case songs in iTunes on my Phone. Being on the road up to 180 days most years streaming is the shit.

Last edited:
Nope. too many problems with devices playing it.

Fair enough; you have a particular need for WAVs.

Even so, I'd probably still keep my main collection as FLAC, with the good metadata support, and transcode on the fly to WAVs during the sync process, if I needed to use lossless on portable devices.

Last edited:
My guess is the streaming service is doing some signal processing - bass enhancement, and limiter so they can push the audio "loudness". Listen specifically for dynamics. I was recenly listing to Jeff Goldblum's jazz band on Youtube and it sounded great, but not very dynamic for a live performance.

This. It will be compressed and processed to accommodate both the surveyed listener tastes and the contemplated equipment that it will be played on. Boom and sizzle rules the day today.

Virtually all commercial FM OTA is similarly processed and compressed digital library tracks, to accommodate modern listener tastes on primarily automotive systems. And Satellite is just for background noise over the tire roar.

And whether any of that sounds remotely pleasing on a higher quality home system is up to the listener. But it is why I have just about given up on FM, and every Internet streaming source sounds better to me played on local media, even at the same bit rates.

Back
Top Bottom